Z-Wave module pinout to make it compatible with Pi b+
Hey, guys !
Trying to help in this thread, http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...5#pid19735, even if I don't own any of those ZWave board, I feel that there is a potential conflict with the debug console on /dev/ttyS0.
Are any of you owning this board got it successfully working ?
Did you had to turn off the debug console in the /boot/boot.scr ?
(09-13-2016, 11:47 AM)martinayotte Wrote: Hey, guys !
Trying to help in this thread, http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...5#pid19735, even if I don't own any of those ZWave board, I feel that there is a potential conflict with the debug console on /dev/ttyS0.
Are any of you owning this board got it successfully working ?
Did you had to turn off the debug console in the /boot/boot.scr ?

martinayotte,  it depends if you're using the z-wave module for the euler bus (which is in conflict with the serial console on uart0) or whether your z-wave module is running on the PI bus (which is using uart2 and not in conflict with the serial console). 

The serial console must be disabled in order to use uart0 (ttyS0) on the euler bus.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
That is why I posted earlier !
Personally, I don't have such ZWave board, but for people who have one, pictured aboved, is on EULA, so, people should be warned ...
Yeah, I think we just need some procedures for helping people fix things DIY fashion... for instance they also need to be warned that the ABS cases will not close if the z-wave module is installed on the board (did no one actually test these things )?

So, I'm telling people to remove the connector from the module and solder a ribbon cable between the connector and the module so that the module can be mounted off to the left away from handhold positions and the connector will fit on the board and the case will still shut.

I have not tried this either ( yet ) but rather than disabling the serial console, just move it to uart3 or uart4... I'll have to test that later and see if it works...
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-08-2016, 12:32 AM)bonterra Wrote:
(09-07-2016, 05:35 PM)tllim Wrote:
(09-07-2016, 07:14 AM)bonterra Wrote: Strange. The Pine64 shop shows no adapter board:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf2RE4P3u4X2PlLLtTOqx...49WASOm2NQ]

(Nor do they show the antenna coil)
This is the previous version that using Mitsumi ZWave chip. Since Sigma Designs no longer selling the ZWave chip to Mistsumi, we force to use the Sigma Designs module.

But why bother with a removeable adapter board, why not solder the Z-wave chips directly on to the adapter? 

Can the Sigma module be used at all without the adapter?

We need to secure down this batch of boards which already have the build in adapter. If we order from Sigma Designs, the lead time is 16 weeks and there will be more complain about us fail to deliver. In long run, we will use the sigma module without the adapter.
(09-13-2016, 06:44 PM)tllim Wrote:
(09-07-2016, 07:14 AM)bonterra Wrote: Strange. The Pine64 shop shows no adapter board:

This is the previous version that using Mitsumi ZWave chip. Since Sigma Designs no longer selling the ZWave chip to Mistsumi, we force to use the Sigma Designs module.

But why bother with a removeable adapter board, why not solder the Z-wave chips directly on to the adapter? 

We need to secure down this batch of boards which already have the build in adapter. If we order from Sigma Designs, the lead time is 16 weeks and there will be more complain about us fail to deliver. In long run, we will use the sigma module without the adapter.
Are you going to address the issues with case not usable when using zwave adapter and blocking the whole rpi-connector which prevents the board from working as advertised?
I wanted to use the IOT package as a complete controller incorporating emoncms, RF OOK and zwave in combination with openhab to control my home, which is now impossible. Are you going come up with a solution to make the package work as advertised?
(09-13-2016, 06:44 PM)tllim Wrote:

@tllim: Will you then honor a replacement of Z-wave boards? I.e. you send me the new Sigma Design boards without the adapter that I ordered (when they become available) and I return the two boards with adapter that I received?

@MarkHaysHarris777: My soldering skills are NOT up to par for desoldering and re-soldering components to a PCB, and I assume that most people here are in the same boat, and even if my skills were good enough for that I did not buy a kit but a finished product. If someone wants to start taking apart and reassembling the components then it should be by choice but it should not be necessary.
(09-29-2016, 12:28 AM)Yomet Wrote: @MarkHaysHarris777: My soldering skills are NOT up to par for desoldering and re-soldering components to a PCB, and I assume that most people here are in the same boat, and even if my skills were good enough for that I did not buy a kit but a finished product. If someone wants to start taking apart and reassembling the components then it should be by choice but it should not be necessary.

hi Yomet,  your expenditure falls into one of two camps: 1) you supported the kick-starter, if which case you purchased nothing, but infact invested in Pine Inc as a startup, the rewards for which were "kit components" but certainly not a finished product,  or 2) you purchased "components" from the Pine Store amounting to unassembled "kit components" but again certainly not a finished product.  This is simply an undisputed fact.

In any case , clearly these "components" were never tested together and no promises were made ( that I can find ) that gaurantee that all of these components will actually "go together" as a finished "kit" let alone a formal polished product.

In fact , over-zealous martketing aside , the PineA64 board and accessories amounts to a very sophisticated highly flexible and very powerful hardware and software development platform similar to ( but better than ) the Raspberry PI and|or several other SoC(s) in SBC format.  I'm not arguing against you, mind you, I'm just playing the advocate here; since you addressed me-- my role as a programmer, analyst, and engineer is to help people make the most of this platform as it is; not necessarily as it 'ought' to be. 

Two of my boards are now cased ( my own design ) and being used for a variety of development scenarios ( hardware and software ). One of my boards is still laying all over my desktop as fully functional development "guts" , lit up like a Christmas tree , and satisfying also a wide variety of hardware and software developmental | experimental | features;  It will be some time before its designated purpose on my sailing boat are fully realized.

I have been a member of the DIY and Maker communities for many years and I have been active on the Internet to help other DIY Makers make the best use of their soldering and programming skills ( at whatever skill level ).  My comments should be taken in that vein. I am not as concerned with what these products were designed to do, but rather what I can do with them... I have designed my own fixtures, and I have designed my own software ; I am willing to help you make the most of what you have in front of you , but I am not arguing at all for what 'ought' to be , nor for what ethically or morally is 'right' or 'correct' in this context. 

As a side-bar , I consider soldering ( as also programming ) to be a life skill that people in the 21st century should know and practice;  I realize that not everyone will agree.
marcushh777    Cool

(09-29-2016, 01:15 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 12:28 AM)Yomet Wrote: @MarkHaysHarris777: My soldering skills are NOT up to par for desoldering and re-soldering components to a PCB, and I assume that most people here are in the same boat, and even if my skills were good enough for that I did not buy a kit but a finished product. If someone wants to start taking apart and reassembling the components then it should be by choice but it should not be necessary.

hi Yomet,  your expenditure falls into one of two camps: 1) you supported the kick-starter, if which case you purchased nothing, but infact invested in Pine Inc as a startup, the rewards for which were "kit components" but certainly not a finished product,  or 2) you purchased "components" from the Pine Store amounting to unassembled "kit components" but again certainly not a finished product.  This is simply an undisputed fact.

In any case , clearly these "components" were never tested together and no promises were made ( that I can find ) that gaurantee that all of these components will actually "go together" as a finished "kit" let alone a formal polished product.

In fact , over-zealous martketing aside , the PineA64 board and accessories amounts to a very sophisticated highly flexible and very powerful hardware and software development platform similar to ( but better than ) the Raspberry PI and|or several other SoC(s) in SBC format.  I'm not arguing against you, mind you, I'm just playing the advocate here; since you addressed me-- my role as a programmer, analyst, and engineer is to help people make the most of this platform as it is; not necessarily as it 'ought' to be. 

Two of my boards are now cased ( my own design ) and being used for a variety of development scenarios ( hardware and software ). One of my boards is still laying all over my desktop as fully functional development "guts" , lit up like a Christmas tree , and satisfying also a wide variety of hardware and software developmental | experimental | features;  It will be some time before its designated purpose on my sailing boat are fully realized.

I have been a member of the DIY and Maker communities for many years and I have been active on the Internet to help other DIY Makers make the best use of their soldering and programming skills ( at whatever skill level ).  My comments should be taken in that vein. I am not as concerned with what these products were designed to do, but rather what I can do with them... I have designed my own fixtures, and I have designed my own software ; I am willing to help you make the most of what you have in front of you , but I am not arguing at all for what 'ought' to be , nor for what ethically or morally is 'right' or 'correct' in this context. 

As a side-bar , I consider soldering ( as also programming ) to be a life skill that people in the 21st century should know and practice;  I realize that not everyone will agree.

First of all, I totally agree that programming and soldering are skills that should be required   Smile   I knew how to solder a bit quite a few years ago but my latest excursions into that territory has made me run and hide in view of the total mess I created  Big Grin

I'll continue the argument for argument's sake: Wink
- I supported the kick-starter and, yes, I invested in Pine Inc. with kit components as a possible reward. I agree with that.
- My terminology was not correct when I said finished product, I should have said something like "assembled kit components", meaning that I did not buy the PCB blank, connectors, resistors, etc as a kit that required extensive assembly in order to work but as an assembled product. Now don't go splitting hairs on me here - Pine calls these things "boards" and "modules" or "POT modules" and I call each of those a finished product.  Smile
- I take pictures of components put together as a kind of promise that they will go together as indicated, referring to the old and new pictures of the Z-Wave modules here. If you want to call that "over-zealous marketing" that's your prerogative, I call it false marketing when the product delivered is so different form the one illustrated that other kit components are rendered useless (thinking about the case here)

I am not an active member of any on-line community but I try to read through and find help where I can, as a last resort I will ask a question on a Forum. However, I am very active building, adapting, modifying and generally "making things work" in my private life. That is the reason why I find both the Raspberry PI and the Pine64 so attractive - you can do whatever you want with them.
Photo 
For those interested, the topic is moving from his first subject, here is the drawing from the pi connector to zwave module adaptor.

[Image: retroengineering-zwave-domoticz-pine64-r...otique.jpg]

I connected it to the pi connector of a raspberry pi b+ without the two resistors and the inductor and it works really well under domoticz see screenshots below (in a french version of domoticz):

[Image: zwavedomoticz1.jpg]

[Image: zwavedomoticz2.jpg]

So you have just to "take" another GND on the pi b+ gpio connector.

Hope this helps!
Thx Etienne,

Pine64 - 2Gb + Z-Wave (EU) + abs case
[url= http://www.etiennebretteville.com][/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Z-Wave and openzwave+node-openzwave-shared saro 2 6,222 09-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Last Post: saro
  Z-Wave - Full and Low Power Inclusion mode B34N 1 4,197 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Last Post: B34N
  What cameras are compatible with that ribbon connector? nayrenitnatsnoc 1 3,818 02-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  KICAD Quick Lib and Module Generator mbt28 1 4,612 02-12-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Z Wave Module and still using GPIO bang 2 5,703 01-16-2017, 03:12 AM
Last Post: bang
  Z-Wave US module with adapter aegrotatio 4 7,136 01-08-2017, 12:03 AM
Last Post: aegrotatio
  RaZberry Module (z-wave) need support to get it working! Luxus 13 18,716 11-03-2016, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Luxus
  Z-Wave module problem vintagewaffle 0 2,319 10-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Last Post: vintagewaffle
  Raspberry Pi and Arduino accessories compatible? Krowyn 6 10,509 10-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: rohan
Video Australia/New Zealand Z-Wave module Jnimmo 46 53,445 10-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Last Post: tllim