DMG/Classic Gameboy Enclosure!? n_n'
(01-29-2016, 12:24 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: *You* feel old?! You just told me a handheld I own and played with as a child(though, admittedly it came out *long* before that time; we also had a GBC each(I got mine at 11, shortly after Gen1 Pokemon came out I think?)) is something your *mother* owned! Tongue Haha~

No, the only one my mother owned was a original red game boy (the only game she played was Tetris) and I belive that the GBA I got was second hand, when I got it for Christmas

By saying I feel old I meant that we have advanced so much in technology in 12 years
(01-29-2016, 08:29 AM)BeauS Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 07:15 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 05:47 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: :3 Heh~ True enough!

Hm, yes... Well, the issue... Hm... I looked at it again from the other side of the Gameboy and it looks like you could fit a board- in *front* of it. And if the USB ports are gonna be that much of an issue, they really need to be at the back, so they can poke out of the game cartridge slot...

Unless you were willing to cut into the case and make space for them that way?

Case cutting may become necessary, yes...  Sad

In other news, I found these small screens that may be suitable:

http://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-screens

They are for the Raspberry Pi, but conceivably could be used to run on the Pine, depending on connectors and drivers...(if it turns out the Pine IS too big for the Gameboy case, the other sacrilegious option is to use a Raspberry Pi Zero - that would definitely fit Tongue)

You guys heard of the PiGRRL 2? I know it's based on the raspberry pi model b and not the pine64. Maybe we can build something similar with the Pine. 

https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2?view=all

Hi!

Yup, that's the plan, but I think the idea is to retain as much of the original Gameboy as possible Smile
(01-29-2016, 09:17 AM)Nilocsemliw Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 12:24 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: *You* feel old?! You just told me a handheld I own and played with as a child(though, admittedly it came out *long* before that time; we also had a GBC each(I got mine at 11, shortly after Gen1 Pokemon came out I think?)) is something your *mother* owned! Tongue Haha~

No, the only one my mother owned was a original red game boy (the only game she played was Tetris) and I belive that the GBA I got was second hand, when I got it for Christmas

By saying I feel old I meant that we have advanced so much in technology in 12 years

Ah, I see; Yes! It really has, it's pretty crazy/awesome~ :3

(01-29-2016, 09:33 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 08:29 AM)BeauS Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 07:15 AM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 05:47 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: :3 Heh~ True enough!

Hm, yes... Well, the issue... Hm... I looked at it again from the other side of the Gameboy and it looks like you could fit a board- in *front* of it. And if the USB ports are gonna be that much of an issue, they really need to be at the back, so they can poke out of the game cartridge slot...

Unless you were willing to cut into the case and make space for them that way?

Case cutting may become necessary, yes...  Sad

In other news, I found these small screens that may be suitable:

http://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-screens

They are for the Raspberry Pi, but conceivably could be used to run on the Pine, depending on connectors and drivers...(if it turns out the Pine IS too big for the Gameboy case, the other sacrilegious option is to use a Raspberry Pi Zero - that would definitely fit Tongue)

You guys heard of the PiGRRL 2? I know it's based on the raspberry pi model b and not the pine64. Maybe we can build something similar with the Pine. 

https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2?view=all

Hi!

Yup, that's the plan, but I think the idea is to retain as much of the original Gameboy as possible Smile

Argh! Pounds!?! Ha~ That'd be painful even in dollars, even in Aussie dollars, plus shipping. Pounds are one of my most hated enemies! 'xD The conversion rate is literally double. 

The idea is to keep it as original as possible, but additional buttons *would* be handy, I suppose. Certainly for emulation purposes if nothing else, but general commands/shortcuts could be utilised with a similar setup to the images there(quick access to certain folders, apps etc.) :3c idk, what do you think?

I'd wanted to use the clear Gameboy I have, but my cousin was slightly horrified when he heard I intended to gut it, especially as it still works.

It wouldn't be as cool, and I couldn't do my dual-layer galaxies splatter, but if I picked up a case from that website I linked before, I wouldn't have to worry about messing up any case cutting required, as I could just purchase another one... :0c 

In black would enable the white Pine logo to be stencilled on brightly.

Technically, rather than looking at it as boosting the capabilities/utilities of the Gameboy, if we looked at it as *creating* the Pineboy(Pinekid?), we could alter the button layout as much as we liked... That's actually an intriguing idea... Since the cases and buttons are all available from the same website, so long as a base of white or black is acceptable, it would make a good source for Pinekid materials.

What do you guys think? :3c
Hey Gearsoul!

You can by all means buy that black Gameboy case to prevent the horrification of your cousin. What you won't get with it though are all the switches and internal gubbins that comes in a real Gameboy that we could make use of, though there does seem to be an option to get some buttons and fittings with it. But you won't be getting any of the internal electronics that we might be able to make use of in a project such as this (like the speaker, or button contacts, or the power switch - though that does solve the problem of what to do about the Gameboy power switch, doesn't it?).

So yes, if you are more comfortable doing that, by all means go ahead Smile However, if you did want additional buttons (and more buttons means better usage of available emulators, such as Super Nintendo, or - dare I hope - the Dreamcast, which require more button inputs) as seen in the PiGrrl 2, for the Pinekid (great name!), you would need to do some case cutting...

Haha, the screens are in pounds because I am in the land of the pounds in the UK! If it came down to choosing those screens, I could buy a few and send you one at a very reasonable rate Smile
His horror has given me pause about ripping my original device open 'xD

I really like the idea of additional buttons... Will I be able to place them anywhere on the case and wire them to the appropriate places? I wanna sketch out some designs to find something unique for Pinekid(I like how it sounds a bit like pine cone Tongue) but still usable and visually appealing. They sell all the buttons so wedging in a bunch of start/select buttons would probably be convenient for short cuts and maybe A/B buttons for things like L/R.

Haaah, I am so jealous of the pounds' conversion rate 'xD Tongue Do you just cruise around the internet laughing at all the prices? 'XD If you *do* go that route I'd love to take you up on that! Big Grin

The rounded edges make it hard to fit a couple A/B buttons on the back(I figure with such a large device, most people probably do the same as me and wrap all four fingers around the back, and hover the thumbs over the front), but with the squared edges of the cases from that site, maybe I could squeeze one on either side...

For L/R.
(01-29-2016, 11:39 PM)Gearsoul Wrote: His horror has given me pause about ripping my original device open 'xD

I really like the idea of additional buttons... Will I be able to place them anywhere on the case and wire them to the appropriate places? I wanna sketch out some designs to find something unique for Pinekid(I like how it sounds a bit like pine cone Tongue) but still usable and visually appealing. They sell all the buttons so wedging in a bunch of start/select buttons would probably be convenient for short cuts and maybe A/B buttons for things like L/R.

Haaah, I am so jealous of the pounds' conversion rate 'xD Tongue Do you just cruise around the internet laughing at all the prices? 'XD If you *do* go that route I'd love to take you up on that! Big Grin

I have no such qualms about tearing a Gameboy to pieces Big Grin

Theoretically yeah, you can place additional buttons (or toggles or triggers or levers or whatever) wherever you like. Wiring the buttons up and getting the Pine to actually recognise them as inputs is going to be one of the trickier parts of the project. I know that PiGrrl 2 has a special little pcb board that takes all the hassle out of this, would be good to get a similar 'input board' for the Pine.

As a Brit, I still find it amazing that we are allowed to remain as part of the European Union whilst totally rejecting the currency of that union. It's like picking and choosing the parts you want. It smacks of entitlement and aloofness...but yeah, it makes stuff fairly cheap to buy, most of the time. Though Americans seem to get the best value. A game system that costs $300 in the US will likely cost £300 here...now where's the fair about that?

With the need for all these different bits and pieces, let's hope the Pinekid doesn't end up costing that much (either in pounds or dollars)...  Wink
Photo~! :3

These are the best button locations I could come up with. Technically might be able to wedge some start/select buttons down the sides but I didn't wanna outright copy the PiGrrl 2 Tongue

Legit the only reason for adding the 'Z' button there, other than having an extra button of course, is making that little hub of buttons more unique 'x3 

I was thinking of, similarly to how A/B will spell 64, spelling out ARM on the XYZ buttons~! Big Grin

Ah, that's true~ If I'm gonna be cutting it up for these new buttons I can add whatever kind of buttons I like, and yeah, toggles; half/double speed for gaming? Big Grin

Ah, hm, yeah, is that something we could do ourselves(the input board) or do we need to ask the creators about that?

As to the game system prices... Ouch!!! What the hell!?! o__0;;

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the design sketch - I like the L1 and R1 buttons on the back!

Button layout is all-important....well, quite important, anyway... five face buttons is a slightly strange number to have (A, B, X, Y, Z)... we're either missing a C or got an extra Z... Wink

Maybe we can have 6 face buttons and spell out ARM A64? The lettering doesn't really correspond to traditional gaming buttons, anyway, so the repetition of A barely matters...

As for the input board, I'll look into this a little more. I'll take another look at that PiGrrl 2 kit and see what I can see.
... Making six buttons work is harder than I thought it would be! 'x3

Maybe if I use start/select buttons instead of A/B?

How small a speaker can we get? :0c Three layers of two buttons in the A/B set?

Mwaha~! =D 

What do you think? :3c

I'm staring at that space below the logo and the practical part of myself says "You could fit a start/select button set there!" but the designer part of me says "No! That would be way too cluttered!" 'xD Maybe if I make the logo bigger it won't bug me so much... I'm just staring at that empty space Tongue

Or maybe just lower the logo a bit.

Looking at the actual Gameboy in front of me, which has slightly different dimensions to the template image I'm using, making it bigger probably isn't going to be an option, but lowering it slightly would work nicely.

I'm still a bit iffy over the L1/R1 buttons on the back, without the tactile experience of the squared off case I'll be using in place of this one I'm having trouble judging how easy pressing the button will be with the angle you'll have with your fingers...

High contrast! :3

Since the logo is white, unless I wanted to change the colour of it, I'll have to either grab the black case or paint the white one before using it.

It's pretty nice-looking, actually.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video 7" LCD wooden framen enclosure for Pine64 *UPDATED WITH killor 12 19,506 10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb Perfect ABS Plastic Server Enclosure from Radio Shack MarkHaysHarris777 14 33,595 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
Rainbow (Cluster) Modified Playbox Enclosure Progress predominant 3 5,339 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Nostalgic enclosure VHS carlo318 4 7,387 03-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Last Post: carlo318
  How is the battery Supposed to be mounted in the PlayBox enclosure? dbarbee 2 5,595 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
  Enclosure for flush-mounting the 7" touchscreen Learnincurve 9 12,760 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,605 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Tablet Enclosure Vachtra 11 19,602 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Toriless
Rainbow PineA64 Home-Brew card-board Play Box for Android & LCD Enclosure MarkHaysHarris777 9 18,775 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM
  White box plastic enclosure clawinus 3 6,494 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Bluphire