DMG/Classic Gameboy Enclosure!? n_n'
(02-04-2016, 06:52 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: .. Damn! :/

:3 Super Pinetendo sounds cool, though. The rainbow button set would be nice as well~

We actually have one of those around as well! And a couple NES ones.

If I had access to a 3D printer I could *make* a case similar in appearance/size that *would* work, and have the option for details to make it more uniquely 'Pinekid' as well.

.... I wonder if there are any local facilities around that have a public-use 3D printer...

I'd be interested to follow your progress, but my initial pledge already covers the playBox enclosure/touch screen so I don't need a console version. I'm gonna keep looking into handheld options.

I hope the Gameboy wasn't too expensive! .__.'

It's a real shame, but better to realise the limitations now rather than further down the line when big money has been spent.

You could indeed pursue some kind of 3d printed option, I would be very interested to hear about that!

And no, the Gameboy was super cheap, no worries. Plus I can probably get it working again without too much fuss, so that would be a bonus Smile
I've decided to turn the Gameboy into a Pine case!

Not as cool as making it into a fully fledged handheld, but still, something.
Ah, that's still pretty cool, yeah~ :3 Kinda like a super fancy/branded hard drive (looking thing) to run it off of!
(02-10-2016, 06:14 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: Ah, that's still pretty cool, yeah~ :3 Kinda like a super fancy/branded hard drive (looking thing) to run it off of!

Yeah, still disappointed the handheld isn't really feasible, but anyway.

I've gutted out the Gameboy in preparation for the Pine board fitting in. One cool thing, I'm going to use buttons mounted in the A and B holes for power and reset Smile
So, I have begun work on the Gameboy Pine case by fitting a fan into the d-pad space and mounting buttons that will be used for power and reset:

http://i.imgur.com/GopXMXW.jpg
..! Oooo, pretty buttons! Big Grin They look awesome! =3 Super retro~ Very fitting for the case choice. 

I've decided until I know exactly what I'm doing with the handheld unit I wanna make, I'm gonna focus on my PlayBox unit! I've attached a pic of the add-ons I went with~ :3 

I had to leave off a couple things because it was getting so expensive... For example, the camera module and the Bluetooth earphones. I'll probably save up for a nice spiffy pair of headphones, or something like a batband!

Sad Unfortunately there was an issue with some of the add-ons, like the battery... An item only available to the U.S. :/ The description indicated that despite being international, as a PlayBox tier holder I could still add it on, but when I tried it still gave me the shipping glitch where it added nearly $1000 in shipping! X__x

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-17-2016, 09:21 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: ..! Oooo, pretty buttons! Big Grin They look awesome! =3 Super retro~ Very fitting for the case choice. 

I've decided until I know exactly what I'm doing with the handheld unit I wanna make, I'm gonna focus on my PlayBox unit! I've attached a pic of the add-ons I went with~ :3 

I had to leave off a couple things because it was getting so expensive... For example, the camera module and the Bluetooth earphones. I'll probably save up for a nice spiffy pair of headphones, or something like a batband!

Sad Unfortunately there was an issue with some of the add-ons, like the battery... An item only available to the U.S. :/ The description indicated that despite being international, as a PlayBox tier holder I could still add it on, but when I tried it still gave me the shipping glitch where it added nearly $1000 in shipping! X__x

I saw someone seeing something similar in another post.  The issue was that they were ordering something that was not applicable to their region and this was indicated by the crazy high shipping cost.
..??! R-Really? But it's just a battery! D: That's just weird :/

Okay, there's surely no way for this to be big enough... But if I could get Pine to fit inside this, it would be *awesome* -- Especially if I could get a small touch screen inside it! =D It would have its own built in case/screen protection!

There are other things I could use, I suppose... It wouldn't *have* to be Pine... I'd just really prefer it to be.

Does anyone have suggestions for systems smaller than Pine64? :0c

Need to measure this thing out!
(02-17-2016, 10:04 AM)Gearsoul Wrote: ..??! R-Really? But it's just a battery! D: That's just weird :/

Okay, there's surely no way for this to be big enough... But if I could get Pine to fit inside this, it would be *awesome* -- Especially if I could get a small touch screen inside it! =D It would have its own built in case/screen protection!

Hi Gearsoul! Big Grin

Yeah, the shipping price was inflated on several items (t-shirt, battery) to prevent non-US people buying them. But information on getting the correct batteries with the correct connectors is incoming and will be posted soon (I think).

Hehe, nice little Harry Potter case! What size is it?

Even if it were big enough, it would need vent holes drilled in it so the SoC wouldn't overheat. 

I admire you determination to find a novel case solution for your Pine!

My case is nearly finished and ready to go. My only problem is figuring out a way to keep it closed, since I had to file away all the screw mount holes in order to create enough space to squish the Pine into. I've thought about having small clasps on both sides of the casing, but I'm still pondering on a more subtle solution. Nothing's come to me yet, though...

(The battery not being included is because of all those Hoverboard batteries catching fire; you've probably seen news about it around the net...suddenly no-one wants to handle shipment of batteries from China any more...)
Oh! Actually I haven't seen the news for them, but I buy from Geek(Wish re-skin) and a few times now I've seen comments/feedback left about things catching on fire! =0c

Size, according to a quick google: "Measures approximately 4" x 2" x 5" when closed"

As to vents.... There's a small vent on the back? Perhaps I could sand the battery compartment smooth and then carve/drill a larger vent in a suited style into it?

(Photo)

I've just realised what you mean by hover boards.... Those things have WHEELS and they should never have been allowed to call them hover boards! 'XD

Oh, I should point out the battery compartment visible in that photo is actually the much smaller backup battery compartment! I was referring to the main one, which is about four times the size.

This case would be for the handheld, rather than the PlayBox unit. Just a little 'bare bones' version to read on, though fitting in a speaker -- which is actually what that thing I presumed was a vent is? -- would be awesome.

If I slip the pine board in, carve out a hole for the screen, what else do I need to include? Well, as it's the handheld, it'll need a battery. Maybe forego the speaker in favour of a headphone jack to keep as much room in there for them to breathe?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video 7" LCD wooden framen enclosure for Pine64 *UPDATED WITH killor 12 19,506 10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb Perfect ABS Plastic Server Enclosure from Radio Shack MarkHaysHarris777 14 33,595 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
Rainbow (Cluster) Modified Playbox Enclosure Progress predominant 3 5,339 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Nostalgic enclosure VHS carlo318 4 7,387 03-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Last Post: carlo318
  How is the battery Supposed to be mounted in the PlayBox enclosure? dbarbee 2 5,595 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
  Enclosure for flush-mounting the 7" touchscreen Learnincurve 9 12,760 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,605 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Tablet Enclosure Vachtra 11 19,602 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Toriless
Rainbow PineA64 Home-Brew card-board Play Box for Android & LCD Enclosure MarkHaysHarris777 9 18,775 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM
  White box plastic enclosure clawinus 3 6,494 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Bluphire