Enclosure issue
So I received my enclosure over the weekend.  This was sure not worth the wait.  It is no better than the temp solution I had cobbled together.  Can anyone explain the large opening on the USB side of the enclosure?  Is there a reason this was left open?  Surely they should have included a panel to cover it?  Also, no access to the SD card once the enclosure is closed?  Seems like a poor design decision as well.

One other issue I am struggling with, the camera add-on.  Where exactly is this supposed to mount?  It appears that it should fit into the frame of the LCD, but doesn't fit, not to mention the problem with the length of the connecting cable.

A simple instruction sheet for all the various parts also doesn't seem like to much to ask.  Even a PDF posted for the various components.  I have tried to remain positive about this project, but I am now at the point of regretting backing this one.
(08-31-2016, 02:12 PM)gates_c Wrote: So I received my enclosure over the weekend.  This was sure not worth the wait.  It is no better than the temp solution I had cobbled together.  Can anyone explain the large opening on the USB side of the enclosure?  Is there a reason this was left open?  Surely they should have included a panel to cover it?  Also, no access to the SD card once the enclosure is closed?  Seems like a poor design decision as well.

One other issue I am struggling with, the camera add-on.  Where exactly is this supposed to mount?  It appears that it should fit into the frame of the LCD, but doesn't fit, not to mention the problem with the length of the connecting cable.

A simple instruction sheet for all the various parts also doesn't seem like to much to ask.  Even a PDF posted for the various components.  I have tried to remain positive about this project, but I am now at the point of regretting backing this one.

And the overly-large  z-wave module  doesn't fit. So if you have the Kickstarter IoT kit you're stuffed.

(08-31-2016, 02:12 PM)gates_c Wrote: So I received my enclosure over the weekend.  This was sure not worth the wait.  It is no better than the temp solution I had cobbled together.  Can anyone explain the large opening on the USB side of the enclosure?  Is there a reason this was left open?  Surely they should have included a panel to cover it?  Also, no access to the SD card once the enclosure is closed?  Seems like a poor design decision as well.

And the overly-large  z-wave module  doesn't fit. So if you have the Kickstarter IoT kit you're stuffed.
I, too, wonder about that large opening. What is it there for?

How are we supposed to remove the back if we need to get to the SD card slot? Pry it open? That's just going to damage the heck out of it. Better solution would have been to secure it with screws. So for now until I don't know when, the back is staying off.
It has taken so darn long to get all these parts that I've lost my interest. I may get back to this and I may not. I haven't even powered it up at all.
Any chance of some pictures? I should be getting an ABS case and second pine64 soon, going by the shipping lists recently posted, and don't know what the final product looks like now... but a whopping big whole doesn't sound good? Sort-a defeats the purpose of a nice custom enclosure!!
hi pfeerick, the large opening in the side is clearly there to facilitate access to the audio jack, the system|charge LEDs and the switches... see the link below, there is a pic about half way down.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=2106

Also, I suspect that a cover plate was initially designed which is missing (but of course I really don't know).
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-03-2016, 10:49 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi pfeerick,  the large opening in the side is clearly there to facilitate access to the audio jack, the system|charge LEDs and the switches...  see the link below, there is a pic about half way down.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=2106

Also, I suspect that a cover plate was initially designed which is missing (but of course I really don't know).

Ah... ok... I'm thinking of the wrong case then... I'm thinking of the ABS enclosure, not the Playbox (which is one pictured in that thread). Thanks for that Marcus.

It looks like the ABS enclosure suffers from the same problem though... as the fifth picture down in the kickstarter update linked in that other thread (which is of the ABS case) also shows a cutout on the end. So unless the end has the reciprocal bit to fill the gap, it looks like even that case is a bit wonky... as from what you can see of the photo, the base has the cutout also.

I had a look at the STL files since they were linked that update, and it looks like they decided to simply use a block cutout, as there's also no provision at all for an piece to fill the gap, as there's no anchor points for it. Strange too, as they had to modify the plastic lip on the lid of the playbox to make way for the height of the USB ports..., and there's a place-holder for the pine64 in the model, so it was a deliberate design choice... wonder if they just took the easy way out, or were thinking along the lines of not sealing it completely to allow for at least *some* limited airflow?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thumbs Down 
I'm in the same boat.  I've been trying to work with backerkit, but I'm getting stonewalled with delivered as designed.  They're saying the hole is for cable passthrough, but I've pushed back and said that if I wanted a hole I would just get my drill and make my own to fit my cable size (not most of a side of the case).  I've also pointed out that if you look at the ABS enclosure right now in the shop, you don't see that it has this huge hole.  This feels a lot like a bait and switch.  

I went back and dug through my kickstarter updates.  It would appear the design changed between January 25th and June 10th.  There are a few mentions that they had to reprint all the ABS cases, but supposedly that was due to a minor alignment problem.
My biggest problem with the case is not the big hole. As I stated in a previous post it is that there is no easy way to remove the back once it is installed.
I challenge anyone on the original build team to take that back off without major damage.
(09-08-2016, 08:12 AM)dedgar Wrote: My biggest problem with the case is not the big hole. As I stated in a previous post it is that there is no easy way to remove the back once it is installed.
I challenge anyone on the original build team to take that back off without major damage.

I got mine off with a screwdriver through the massive hole.
The best way to assemble the case so that it can be opened easily is to use a tool ( like the dremel tool ) to drill very small holes ( paper clip diameter holes ) in the case through the outside where each of the latching tabs engages. Opening the case is then as easy as pushing a tool ( like a large paper clip ) into the hole to release the tab.

( credit for this simple idea goes to Needles, on the irc chat )
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video 7" LCD wooden framen enclosure for Pine64 *UPDATED WITH killor 12 19,514 10-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb Perfect ABS Plastic Server Enclosure from Radio Shack MarkHaysHarris777 14 33,602 09-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
Rainbow (Cluster) Modified Playbox Enclosure Progress predominant 3 5,342 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Nostalgic enclosure VHS carlo318 4 7,389 03-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Last Post: carlo318
  How is the battery Supposed to be mounted in the PlayBox enclosure? dbarbee 2 5,599 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
  Enclosure for flush-mounting the 7" touchscreen Learnincurve 9 12,764 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,608 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Tablet Enclosure Vachtra 11 19,607 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Toriless
Rainbow PineA64 Home-Brew card-board Play Box for Android & LCD Enclosure MarkHaysHarris777 9 18,783 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM
  White box plastic enclosure clawinus 3 6,497 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Bluphire