Android Standby?
Now as I am able to test (I "forgot" to buy a remote and still the case was missing)... I have on questioN.

I have Android 5.1.1. running with an alternative TV start page...

Runs well, but how can I sent the PINE64 with Android into a standby mode?

If using the original PINE64 Remote and press the "off" button, the system shuts down. And no way to restart it using the remote, nor by clicking on my hardware power-button.
I need to unplug und replug the power cord.. and then the whole system is rebooting.

Is there any remote code to set the system into a standby or display-off mode (like on a standard Android tablet or smartphone)?

Hope anyone can help!

Many thanks and best regards from Germany

Dietmar
(08-30-2016, 03:15 AM)dkuhl0904 Wrote: If using the original PINE64 Remote and press the "off" button, the system shuts down. And no way to restart it using the remote, nor by clicking on my hardware power-button.

That sound odd... if the system has shut down, you should be able to use the hardware power button to start it back up again. I can say from personal experience that on the latest android 5.1.1 build for HDMI, the hardware power button successfully put the pine64 to sleep/standby, and woke it up again. I don't have the Pine64 remote though, so don't know how that behaves. I suspect though that even if you were able to make it sleep from the remote, that it would power down the receiver, thus make it so it won't 'listen' (well, look really) for the remote, so would require the hardware power button to wake it up.

Can you turn the pine on using the hardware power button? If not, maybe its not connected properly?

Hopefully someone else has the remote and and comment on this.

Greetings from Australia Wink

(08-30-2016, 03:22 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(08-30-2016, 03:15 AM)dkuhl0904 Wrote: If using the original PINE64 Remote and press the "off" button, the system shuts down. And no way to restart it using the remote, nor by clicking on my hardware power-button.

That sound odd... if the system has shut down, you should be able to use the hardware power button to start it back up again. I can say from personal experience that on the latest android 5.1.1 build for HDMI, the hardware power button successfully put the pine64 to sleep/standby, and woke it up again. I don't have the Pine64 remote though, so don't know how that behaves. I suspect though that even if you were able to make it sleep from the remote, that it would power down the receiver, thus make it so it won't 'listen' (well, look really) for the remote, so would require the hardware power button to wake it up.

Can you turn the pine on using the hardware power button? If not, maybe its not connected properly?

Hopefully someone else has the remote and and comment on this.

Greetings from Australia Wink

I'll reply to your post in the other thread here to keep things together. 

Things can get a bit confusing here... as with an older Android image, I could do the short tap (physical power button) to put the Pine64 to sleep, and then short tap again to wake it up. It would wake up, but wouldn't display anything on the screen again... or when it did... it kept flashing and hopping around... so it needed to have the power pulled and powered up again. So no short press sleep/standby... just a full poweroff via the longer press to get the power menu. However, with the more recent build, I haven't had that issue. So that issue is gone, for me at least. 

The issue that remains here for you, is the question of what is needed to get the IR receiver to always be listening to the remote, either when the pine64 is in sleep mod or off is "off", if the latter is possible. Now, I can tell you that with the pine64 in the off state, there is no power to the IR receiver, so unless the connecting a battery to the RTC connector changes things (as I have seen some suggestion of that somewhere else), the IR remote is never going to be waking up a pine64 unless the VCC-PL line can be somehow configured to remain powered (as it comes from the PMIC - so may be software configurable). In the sleep/standby state, the IR receiver does still receive power, so it seems plausible that it will be able to make it work. 

In a nutshell, when the pine64 is off... it really is off, and when it's in standby, it should be possible to wake it up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 6.0 Tablet and TV (release candidate, maintained) ayufan 228 388,606 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: firmwarefile
Shocked Remote for Android? liodra 18 29,688 12-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Adding an accelerometer to Android modsbyus 11 16,832 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Android Things OS dqvsra 2 6,995 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: hangglider
  Is there another link for Android images? Maalth 3 7,063 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Android SDK Oreo NGC6691 2 5,621 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Putting Android 9 RockPro64 source into easier to manage repositories dazza5000 0 3,341 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Android 5.1.1 TV (old-stable, no longer maintained) ayufan 194 258,786 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: neosapien
  Issues with SD Card and Running Android Twistedx 0 3,551 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Twistedx
  Android 7.1 (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 59 105,343 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mmmarcus