Cross-wired Uart Ports between two Pine Boards via Cat5 Cable
(11-19-2016, 02:47 PM)dkryder Wrote: is it possible to use IDC connectors  for this.?  it would take away the stripping/tinning steps. i don't have any spare cat5. i guess it depends  on the wire. i think telephone industry uses them on phone wire but that is solid core.

If you think of what used to be one of the common uses for IDC connectors - the IDE ribbon cables for computer hard drives and cddrives - they actually used stranded wire - but the beauty of IDC was no stripping or tinning was needed - you just cut the cable straight(ish)... and clipped it in the connector - it spiked the wire itself. For sure you can get 10 pins IDC connectors... but if you only want the serial link - you're much better off using single dupont connectors (as you'd need to cross-wire one end so TX goes to RX and RX goes to TX with the IDC connector). You can either buy the connectors and housings, or if you have the boards sat next to each other, buy pre-made packs of connector leads.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cross-wired Uart Ports between two Pine Boards via Cat5 Cable - by pfeerick - 11-19-2016, 06:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RPi.GPIO python module for Pine A64/A64+ aquilegia 98 131,977 12-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Fadazo
  Exp Header UART for TTL is True Serial Console (very nice) MarkHaysHarris777 12 16,961 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777