Cross-wired Uart Ports between two Pine Boards via Cat5 Cable
Have you noticed any power leakage with this setup? I did something similar - I had a USB-UART adapter that I can't use, because it's not compatible with any of my SBC's (the chip runs @ 1.8V). I realized the other day that even though I can't use the chip, I could still use the wire. So I cut off the wire and connected some header connectors.

On one pine, I connected to UART0 on the EXP connector: black to pin 6 for ground, green to pin 8 for RX, white to pin 7 for TX.

On the other pine, I connected the other end of the cable to UART2 on the Pi2: black to pin 6 for ground, green to pin 8 for TX, white to pine 10 for RX.

I've been using this setup for 2 days now and it works great - I can see all the bootup messages and can log in over the serial console, no problem. But this morning, I happened to shut down the 2nd pine, and couldn't get the red power LED to go off. I disconnected the AC power, unplugged the battery, and the light was still on. It finally went out when I uplugged the serial cable.

Did I wire something up wrong or is this a flaw in the board? Would the power going in through the UART pins have damaged anything?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cross-wired Uart Ports between two Pine Boards via Cat5 Cable - by psychedup - 11-18-2016, 10:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RPi.GPIO python module for Pine A64/A64+ aquilegia 98 131,617 12-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Fadazo
  Exp Header UART for TTL is True Serial Console (very nice) MarkHaysHarris777 12 16,869 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777