more RAM
hi
is it possible to discuss to get more memory such as 4GB (or more). I think a lot of people would appreciate this.
There are a lot of days left in Kickstarter but i think for now almost everyone goes to the 2GB (because there is not more to buy).
thx for thinking about that
hape
(12-11-2015, 04:27 AM)hape Wrote: hi
is it possible to discuss to get more memory such as 4GB (or more). I think a lot of people would appreciate this.
There are a lot of days left in Kickstarter but i think for now almost everyone goes to the 2GB (because there is not more to buy).
hape

Hi Hape, we will explore into 4GB possibility. One question, why need such high capacity? for what type of application?
(12-11-2015, 04:52 AM)tllim Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 04:27 AM)hape Wrote: is it possible to discuss to get more memory such as 4GB (or more)

Hi Hape, we will explore into 4GB possibility. One question, why need such high capacity? for what type of application?

According to the A64 User Manual:

Quote:2.1.3.2. SDRAM
  •   Compatible with JEDEC standard DDR2 /DDR3 /DDR3L/LPDDR2/LPDDR3 SDRAM
  •   Support clock frequency up to 667MHz(DDR3-1333)
  •   Up to 3GB address space
  •   Support 2 chip select
  •   16 address signal lines and 3 bank signal lines
  •   32-bits data width
  •   Support Memory Dynamic Frequency Scale(MDFS) 

Question answered  Tongue 

BTW: Which type of DRAM are you going to use and which clockspeeds you found to be reliable?
(12-11-2015, 05:19 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 04:27 AM)hape Wrote: is it possible to discuss to get more memory such as 4GB (or more)

According to the A64 User Manual:

Quote:2.1.3.2. SDRAM
  •   Compatible with JEDEC standard DDR2 /DDR3 /DDR3L/LPDDR2/LPDDR3 SDRAM
  •   Support clock frequency up to 667MHz(DDR3-1333)
  •   Up to 3GB address space
  •   Support 2 chip select
  •   16 address signal lines and 3 bank signal lines
  •   32-bits data width
  •   Support Memory Dynamic Frequency Scale(MDFS) 

Question answered  Tongue 

BTW: Which type of DRAM are you going to use and which clockspeeds you found to be reliable?

Current board using Samsung K4B4G1646D-BCK0, 800MHz, and here is the datasheet link: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/glo...Rev102.pdf. Please note that from time to time, we may change DRAM vendor pending on market availability.
hape

hi
good question :-)
I want to put a multithread system into the run. So every task could be done in real time but with Linux and the drivers for the sensors and the LCD i don't want to see that the memory is a an impact and the costs for more memory are very cheap.
I'm also thinking to do a database on it (if its possible).
So many aspects are talking for more memory.
Hope this helps.
hae
I just got a reply on Facebook about this, it's not looking good:

"The ram is soldered onto the board so you won't be able to upgrade yourself. You can choose the 512, 1GB, or 2Gb models." -Pine 64 Facebook

Maybe we can try to take the existing memory away, and try to solder more. I'm sure that, eventually, we will be able to do this. Someone will find a way, I'm sure.
"Why doe" - every forum ever
(12-11-2015, 06:53 AM)hape Wrote:
hape

hi
good question :-)
I want to put a multithread system into the run. So every task could be done in real time but with Linux and the drivers for the sensors and the LCD i don't want to see that the memory is a an impact and the costs for more memory are very cheap.
Hope this helps.
hae
Thanks, this helps

(12-11-2015, 07:01 AM)versetti Wrote: I just got a reply on Facebook about this, it's not looking good:

"The ram is soldered onto the board so you won't be able to upgrade yourself. You can choose the 512, 1GB, or 2Gb models." -Pine 64 Facebook

Maybe we can try to take the existing memory away, and try to solder more. I'm sure that, eventually, we will be able to do this. Someone will find a way, I'm sure.

For system reliability, the memory needs to solder onto the board.
(12-11-2015, 06:53 AM)hape Wrote: So every task could be done in real time but with Linux and the drivers for the sensors and the LCD i don't want to see that the memory is a an impact and the costs for more memory are very cheap.
Hope this helps.

Of course that does not help since we're talking about a tablet SoC not being able to address that much memory. For nearly everything the Pine A64 provides is the latter responsible: The A64 (Link to data sheet and so on)

This is neither a PC nor x86 but an energy efficient ARM board where many things work completely different. 2 GB are a lot of memory for such a board and since it comes with kernel 3.10 features like zRAM are available to make even more use of the physical memory. BTW: The memory bus is only 32-bit wide but given we're able to access the DRAM at 667/672 MHz that won't have that much impact.
Yes, I agree 4gb would be better, but it would be awsome if they could fit a SO-DIMM slot on the next board.