Overclocking available?
I'm sure that there's some article that i'm missing, but is there any way to overclock to get a higher speed?

Thanks in advance, i'm a n00b at this stuff Tongue
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
Yes, it should be capable I saw a post on Reddit (might not be true) but someone got their Cortex A53 to a clock speed of 2GHz!

Note: Don't try! It might break it unless the chip is properly cooled
(01-27-2016, 01:04 PM)Nilocsemliw Wrote: Yes, it should be capable I saw a post on Reddit (might not be true) but someone got their Cortex A53 to a clock speed of 2GHz!

Note: Don't try! It might break it unless the chip is properly cooled

I don't get my Pine until March, but by then i'm sure there will be better documentation. In another topic, i hope Pine64 makes some heatsink units available! I plan to run a small gaming server in my desk drawers Tongue
The dimensions of the A64 (the SoC) are 15mm x 15mm. There is enough clearance for up to about 20mm x 20mm.
The dimensions of the voltage regulator are 9mm x 9mm.

You can buy 15mm x 15mm heatsinks for cheap. Some come with adhesive tape.

See http://www.michaeldornisch.com/2012/06/d...-sink.html on how to may your own tiny heatsinks.
Requires tools to cut a bigger heatsink to smaller ones.
They got a reduction in temperature of about 18C.
(01-28-2016, 07:11 AM)taros Wrote: The dimensions of the A64 (the SoC) are 15mm x 15mm. There is enough clearance for up to about 20mm x 20mm.

See http://www.michaeldornisch.com/2012/06/d...-sink.html on how to may your own tiny heatsinks.

Thanks! I have this old laptop with a small fan, i think i'll be doing the DIY way.
(01-28-2016, 07:28 AM)pine.tree Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 07:11 AM)taros Wrote: The dimensions of the A64 (the SoC) are 15mm x 15mm. There is enough clearance for up to about 20mm x 20mm.

Thanks! I have this old laptop with a small fan, i think i'll be doing the DIY way.

That would need to be a teeny tiny laptop fan! 

I plan on overclocking and cooling, but certainly below 2GHz. I doubt the OS is stable at 2GHz even if the CPU is properly cooled. I'll wait until I get my P64+ in March and then start tinkering. I'll start with a small inexpensive heatsink and see how I do. Something like this should work: http://amzn.com/B00HPQGTI4. I'm hoping a heatsink plus the four-post open air case gives the unit enough breathing room for some mild overclocking. 

Mild overclocking should be possible without any extra cooling.
But it could shorten the life of the board.
I measured the laptop fan, it is just under 20mm square. Does anyone know how tall the acrylic enclosure is? I might also put some fans on the side, totally out of the way of the board. I think there's a bit of room to all edges of the board, I could fit some fans in the outer perimeter of the case. 

I will also be cautious about overclocking, I'd at least like to get it up to 1.5Ghz if I can.
(01-28-2016, 01:20 PM)pine.tree Wrote: I measured the laptop fan, it is just under 20mm square. Does anyone know how tall the acrylic enclosure is? I might also put some fans on the side, totally out of the way of the board. I think there's a bit of room to all edges of the board, I could fit some fans in the outer perimeter of the case. 

I will also be cautious about overclocking, I'd at least like to get it up to 1.5Ghz if I can.

Not sure about the dimensions of the acrylic case --- there was backlash on the Kickstarter page earlier this week when they posted an update that had a picture of the new (much less attractive) AVAA Studios case. 

It might be tough planning for components when you don't know the exact clearance. Even if you study the pictures and calculate every dimension (like I have done in the past...), there's inevitably some little issue that can mess with your meticulous planning. That's why I'll wait until I have the hardware in my hands before I plan for components. Just my two cents!

You could also go this route: http://hackaday.com/2013/07/20/water-coo...pberry-pi/
(01-28-2016, 01:53 PM)frodo_loves_metal Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 01:20 PM)pine.tree Wrote: I measured the laptop fan, it is just under 20mm square. Does anyone know how tall the acrylic enclosure is? I might also put some fans on the side, totally out of the way of the board. I think there's a bit of room to all edges of the board, I could fit some fans in the outer perimeter of the case. 

Not sure about the dimensions of the acrylic case --- there was backlash on the Kickstarter page earlier this week when they posted an update that had a picture of the new (much less attractive) AVAA Studios case. 

It might be tough planning for components when you don't know the exact clearance. Even if you study the pictures and calculate every dimension (like I have done in the past...), there's inevitably some little issue that can mess with your meticulous planning. That's why I'll wait until I have the hardware in my hands before I plan for components. Just my two cents!

You could also go this route: http://hackaday.com/2013/07/20/water-coo...pberry-pi/
The sandwich type acrylic case has around 20-22mm clearance (assume not install adapter on top), this should have enough clearance for ma good heatsink. The case height between two acrylic plate is 40mm.
P/S: I don't think water cool is needed :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overclocking coleshores 24 30,880 10-28-2016, 03:25 AM
Last Post: pfeerick