Android 5.1.1 TV (old-stable, no longer maintained)
(09-12-2016, 07:11 PM)clarkss12 Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 06:58 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-12-2016, 06:46 PM)clarkss12 Wrote: Just reformat it with command prompt in Windows.  Only smacking them with a hammer can kill them.

If only that were true.

... take a look at this link to understand SPI and SD cards.

You may have noticed the large number of people who are having trouble writing their image(s) to the SD card and getting the pine board to boot.  This is NOT due to bad hardware , and is usually not due to bad software, but is almost always due to the fact that SD cards are easily corrupted and sometimes permanently damaged because of improper shutdown and improper software access in other devices (as well corrupted--- as in permanently damaged cells in the flash area of the card.

The reason reformatting does not work to correct the card is that the image write process (dd and win32diskimager) do not follow the 'formatting' , rather they write the disk image ( tree, meta-data, and data) out to the card bit-for-bit. If the SD card is not compatible with the binary image, if it has holes in the flash, if its structure is damaged from improper access or shutdown, that write will never work again and the card is not worth the plastic its encased in.

This is the reason I only use NEW cards;  Samsung evo plus Class 10 32Gb cards are the best bet...

... always shutdown properly, and never just yank an SD card !   YMMV

Wow, never heard of that, I have never killed a SD card.

Well, maybe that's caused by you talking about SD cards and SDIO and him talking about raw NAND and SPI (for whatever reasons he's doing that, I still hope his goal is not constantly spreading confusion).

SD cards always contain a controller (called FTL, Flash Translation Layer), you never deal with physical addresses but only logical addresses (otherwise using FS like FAT/FAT32 would ruin your SD card within hours/days). The FTL maps out bad pages on the fly and does all the wear-leveling in the background. Modern SD cards also do a lot of over-provisioning that means they do not expose all the pages they contain but have a spare area they use to make wear-leveling more efficient and to compensate from bad pages (that are mapped away and replaced by one from the spare area).

Most importantly: every time you try to overwrite a logical page a new physical page will be used (since NAND would be broken pretty fast due to limited count of write cycles and also be slow as hell otherwise since you can't overwrite anything there, it's all about reading, writing and deleting -- happens in the background)

All of this is done in the background, you won't even be able to notice that (only based on specific performance tests) and it's perfectly fine to write OS images the traditional way since FTL handles everything needed. The reason the forums here are full of posts from people failing to write images appropriately is mainly caused by wrong/unclear information (and a few moderators unfortunately play a specific role in confusing users)

Further reading:
Thanks everyone. I think that I started a bad topic Smile Let's focus on Android TV build and move chats to separate thread Smile
This sounds really promising. As a primarily user of the NVidia Shield Android TV, I really am used to Android TV and really like it.
At the moment I run the "standard" Android 5.1.1. image with a TV launcher.. but isn´t the same at all.
Especially as for Android TV the Amazon Apk (extracted from Sony TV) is working. Much easier to handle...

Will really give it a try at weekend. Seems it needs some minutes time to get it up and running... :-)

THANKS for your work and all the effort you spent ayufan !

Just one question: Is the image file ready for the SD card or still need to be compiled? I am absolutely no expert in that....

best regards

Dietmar
It's ready for SD card.
Good job on this! It's running pretty good, but i do have some issues:
CEC not working on my Samsung UE46D8000. Can i debug this somehow?
Device halts when i turn of TV, and i can't wake it up again. I guess this is due to CEC not working properly. Is it possible to disable this behavior?
Forced to use wifi due to bugged ethernet driver (i don't have any 100mbit ports). I know this is not specific to this build, but is it possible to force Android to use to 100mbit mode?
Quote:Device halts when i turn of TV, and i can't wake it up again. I guess this is due to CEC not working properly. Is it possible to disable this behavior?

So it means that we receive messages over CEC (Yay!), but currently there's no support for suspend (as described in README at top).

Quote:I know this is not specific to this build, but is it possible to force Android to use to 100mbit mode?

Please open separate thread to follow this questions.
(09-13-2016, 02:20 AM)ayufan Wrote:
Quote:But my LG Smart TV cannot detect it as CEC-enabled device. Do I need to do anything else? Note that, I use CEC with other devices without any issue. I am using an HDMI 2.0 compatible cable to connect to my TV.

It may not work with some devices. We miss reliable way to ACK all CEC received messages. Because of that some TVs doesn't properly acknowledge the existence of device.

Thanks for your reply. Is there anything I can try?

An update:
After a while I was trying to scan for pine64 to be recognized as CEC-enabled device, my TV was finally getting proper signals I guess, but only for a few minutes. Then it was gone again. But while it was working, I tried to control pine64 using my TV remote. For each press on my remote's arrow key, the pine64 was receiving multiple signals. Thoughts?

Thanks again for your great work so far on enabling CEC.
Quote: Thoughts?

This is a problem of missing ACKs. TV retries command multiple times.
I'm receiving an Unfortunately, Setting has stopped error every time I try do something in settings. Like uninstall a downloaded app being a prime example. Any one else seeing this?
dogger: adb logcat

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android 6.0 Tablet and TV (release candidate, maintained) ayufan 228 381,719 12-29-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: firmwarefile
Shocked Remote for Android? liodra 18 29,153 12-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Adding an accelerometer to Android modsbyus 11 16,521 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Android Things OS dqvsra 2 6,863 12-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: hangglider
  Is there another link for Android images? Maalth 3 6,931 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Android SDK Oreo NGC6691 2 5,518 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Putting Android 9 RockPro64 source into easier to manage repositories dazza5000 0 3,291 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Last Post: dazza5000
  Issues with SD Card and Running Android Twistedx 0 3,493 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Twistedx
  Android 7.1 (PINE A64(+)) pineadmin 59 103,762 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mmmarcus
  +LTS/SOPINE Android SDK support and Customization biplab777 1 4,604 01-07-2019, 01:21 AM
Last Post: tllim