Battery for Pine64
Hello, has anyone had any luck in powering the Pine64 using a battery? I used a pair of 18650's and a power converter, but it only powers up the down. The converter has a 1 amp rating with a 3 amp burst.
(08-21-2016, 06:45 PM)steve8939 Wrote: Hello, has anyone had any luck in powering the Pine64 using a battery? I used a pair of 18650's and a power converter, but it only powers up the down. The converter has a 1 amp rating with a 3 amp burst.

Need some more info mate. Like:

1. What voltage is the converter set to? 5v? 
  2. How have you got it connected to the pine? micro usb? euler bus?
  3. How are you turning it on? power button? plugging in?
  4. Probably not too important at this stage, but what image is it running (ubuntu, debian, android, etc)?
And yes, I have my pine64 running directly from a lipo battery without any issues, using the battery connector. Running it from the USB port via a booster shouldn't be an issue as long as its set at the right voltage. You'll want to make sure there's some sort of protection circuitry on the batteries to prevent them being under-discharged though.
If you like, you can view my sticky post here. (read the entire thread, pics and details)

... I am powering my PineA64 as a 12v system;  the 12v SLA is powering the PineA64 via CPT dc-dc power converter module (12v --> 5v) and then is being filtered by a home-brew low-pass filter utilizing caps and toroid inductor.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-21-2016, 08:48 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(08-21-2016, 06:45 PM)steve8939 Wrote: Hello, has anyone had any luck in powering the Pine64 using a battery? I used a pair of 18650's and a power converter, but it only powers up the down. The converter has a 1 amp rating with a 3 amp burst.

Need some more info mate. Like:

1. What voltage is the converter set to? 5v? 
  2. How have you got it connected to the pine? micro usb? euler bus?
  3. How are you turning it on? power button? plugging in?
  4. Probably not too important at this stage, but what image is it running (ubuntu, debian, android, etc)?
And yes, I have my pine64 running directly from a lipo battery without any issues, using the battery connector. Running it from the USB port via a booster shouldn't be an issue as long as its set at the right voltage. You'll want to make sure there's some sort of protection circuitry on the batteries to prevent them being under-discharged though.
Hello thanks for the response. I am using 2 TR 18650 5000mah 3.7 volt lipos in series connected to a voltage converter set to 5.2 volts its rated at 1amp continuous 3 amp burst. I am using android and connecting through the power connector next to the RTC battery connector. I am also using the touch screen.
hi, the converter you use needs to be at least a 2A rating continuous, and preferably 2.5A, but more importantly for this discussion, the 5v needs to be very clean.

... I am using the CPT converter which delivers a fairly clean 5v continuous at 2A. I also added a filter to the setup to smooth the noise which typically comes from a dc-dc converter. The problem is that the PineA64 will draw spikes of current from time to time and the 5v 'must' remain stable during those spikes. A 2A supply is often not enough especially if the 5v is not clean (has ripples in it). Take a look at the thread I posted earlier. My battery setup is running very well with the CPT converter and filter ( 5v @ 2A ).
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-28-2016, 05:39 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, the converter you use needs to be at least a 2A rating continuous, and preferably 2.5A, but more importantly for this discussion, the 5v needs to be very clean.

... I am using the CPT converter which delivers a fairly clean 5v continuous at 2A. I also added a filter to the setup to smooth the noise which typically comes from a dc-dc converter. The problem is that the PineA64 will draw spikes of current from time to time and the 5v 'must' remain stable during those spikes.  A 2A supply is often not enough especially if the 5v is not clean (has ripples in it).  Take a look at the thread I posted earlier. My battery setup is running very well with the CPT converter and filter ( 5v @ 2A ).
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I will check out your solution and see if it's something I want to try.again thanks.
I am powering mine from a 10000mA usb power bank. Works fine

I was able to run the board over a pair of 18650 in parallel. Connected via three ping Li-Po connector. Center pin connected to ground using a 10 K resistor.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  +LTS/SOPINE Raspberry Pi Piface2 board installed on a Pine64? coolio 0 2,392 11-26-2019, 11:39 AM
Last Post: coolio
  Can the Pine64 act as a bluetooth receiver? photojoe 7 9,836 11-04-2019, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Partymack711
  Battery Takes Forever To Charge Bluphire 5 9,134 01-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Nexdock with Pine64 running RemixOS bartvvr 4 7,404 10-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Last Post: tllim