Howto test and tune Gigabit Networking (1000M)
(08-24-2016, 11:41 AM)androsch Wrote: With fixed address it boots (had to check with a monitor attached, normally it's headless), but the interface only comes up after logging in at the terminal and calling ifup eth0 as root. It gives a warning (didn't copy that unfortunately), but afterwards the eth-interface shows up (LEDs are blinking) and ifconfig shows a valid ip.

Will try again to use a brand new image from longsleep and repeat those tests. Maybe i messed up some configs by testing and trial-and-error in the beginning....

At least connected it again with my normal switch and it still gives about 400-500 mbits as client, but server is still poor. So its capable to do GbE, just need to sort out why only as client and fix the server part...

Will keep you posted.

OK guys, here to come my last results:

made a new sdcard with latest image from longsleep, attached fixed ip and mac-addr, updated to latest kernel and uboot, run all helper-scripts including network-tuning and just connected the pine and my desktop via 2 short cable to the new switch (same model longsleep mentioned). No other port connected, so only those two on 2 ports of the switch.

Speed for iperf3 as client again was good with max. 872mbits, about 650 mbits avarage, but server speed from the pine still is:

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]   0.00-10.02  sec   567 KBytes   464 Kbits/sec                  sender
[  4]   0.00-10.02  sec   503 KBytes   411 Kbits/sec                  receiver

The problems with connecting above were gone, just made only /etc/network/interfaces smaller (no definitions, only disabled wlan1) and attached a fixed 100 mbs speed full duplex via ethtool in the /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 file.

Booting works still fine, pine 64 reduces speed to 100mbs even on a 1000mbs port on my normal switch and works still ok with this fixed and reduced speed, but no GbE even with longsleeps switch and new basic image. So i'm running out of ideas and options here by myself and hope for any ideas?

Good evening Huh
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Howto test and tune Gigabit Networking (1000M) - by androsch - 08-24-2016, 04:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Howto use MAC address as printed on the label on the back longsleep 3 6,108 08-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777