New External Switch
The included (or not included in my case) micro power switch, seems cheap to me, and could cause problems with falling off, etc.  I was interested in putting my pine in a project box with an external switch, but I'm really not 100% on how to do this, it doesn't seem like there's anything to solder to.  What are everyone's thoughts?
Soldered properly, its fine. You have two pins as switch contact, two pins purely for mounting/stability.

You can also use the 10 pin connector, which sounds like the better option for what you want to do, take a look at page 3: http://files.pine64.org/doc/Pine%20A64%2...160119.pdf
To clarify (if clarification were needed), you can use the 10-pin EXT header to perform the same functions as the power and reset solder points, without the need to solder.

If you were instead to use the power and reset connection(s) available on the edge of the board, it would ideally need to be soldered - then it wouldn't appear loose. You would solder to the outer two holes on that right hand edge of the board, (where it says 'power' and 'reset').

See this diagram for more details:

http://wiki.pine64.org/images/7/7d/Pine6...nector.png
(As noted, you solder to the outer two holes; as DonFL has mentioned, the inner two are for the stability of the switch)

Whether you solder or utilise the 10-pin header, you can use pretty much any momentary push switch that you like. I have used an old arcade machine button I had lying around.
(08-16-2016, 06:08 PM)DonFL Wrote: Soldered properly, its fine. You have two pins as switch contact, two pins purely for mounting/stability.

You can also use the 10 pin connector, which sounds like the better option for what you want to do, take a look at page 3: http://files.pine64.org/doc/Pine%20A64%2...160119.pdf

so if I'm looking at this right, the power switch would be pin 5, and what? Pin 6? and the reset switch would be pin 4 and ? Have a couple of momentary push button switches I picked up on ebay, and they would mount on 2 pins each, just want to make sure I get the right pins, lol.
(08-18-2016, 05:46 PM)Severian Wrote:
(08-16-2016, 06:08 PM)DonFL Wrote: Soldered properly, its fine. You have two pins as switch contact, two pins purely for mounting/stability.

so if I'm looking at this right, the power switch would be pin 5, and what? Pin 6? and the reset switch would be pin 4 and ? Have a couple of momentary push button switches I picked up on ebay, and they would mount on 2 pins each, just want to make sure I get the right pins, lol.

Both the power switch (pin 5) and the reset switch (4) also each require a ground wire, so to either pin 6 or pin 9.
(08-18-2016, 06:00 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 05:46 PM)Severian Wrote:

Both the power switch (pin 5) and the reset switch (4) also each require a ground wire, so to either pin 6 or pin 9.

Excellent - Thanks!!!!
Would it be too much to ask for a simple picture of the board layout and a description of what each pin is for?

I'm a visual person - an array or table of obscure codes is absolutely no help whatsoever...

I got a bunch of power switch thingies and want to use them so I can run my Pine board off battery - MAN you people make some of us punters jump through hoops!

So - red on Pin 5 of the EXP headers, and black on Pin 6? For power on?

And I'm assuming the pins, when looking at the board with EULER and EXT at the bottom, are arranged thus :

2-4-6-8-10
1-3-5-7-9

Anyway - I've attached a Reset/Power switch (e.g. like from an ATX case) and pressing it in makes no difference...

All this messing around just to get the CONFOUNDING thing running on a battery, and NONE of the advice I've gotten from ANYONE has worked! And all because you guys (Pine People) won't export / sell LiPo batteries for Pine!

Doing my head in!
(08-25-2016, 09:19 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: So - red on Pin 5 of the EXP headers, and black on Pin 6?  For power on?

And I'm assuming the pins, when looking at the board with EULER and EXT at the bottom, are arranged thus :

2-4-6-8-10
1-3-5-7-9
hi , in answer to your first question, yes.
... pin(5) is the power|stby switch signal and pin(6) is ground.  It does not matter what color the wires are that you use to connect these pins to your momentary 'ON' switch. The point is that the switch 'momentarily' shorts those to electrical points together [ pin(5) and pin(6) ] activating the power OFF or Standby.
In answer to your second question, you don't have to assume anything.  The pins are labeled right on the board. Well, only the corner pins are actually labeled. And yes, you understand the pins correctly, just as you have depicted them above, if you are looking down at the EXP header from above with the pins at the bottom of the card nearest you.
hope this helps you
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-25-2016, 09:19 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: Would it be too much to ask for a simple picture of the board layout and a description of what each pin is for?

I'm a visual person - an array or table of obscure codes is absolutely no help whatsoever...  

I got a bunch of power switch thingies and want to use them so I can run my Pine board off battery - MAN you people make some of us punters jump through hoops!

So - red on Pin 5 of the EXP headers, and black on Pin 6?  For power on?

2-4-6-8-10
1-3-5-7-9

Anyway - I've attached a Reset/Power switch (e.g. like from an ATX case) and pressing it in makes no difference...

All this messing around just to get the CONFOUNDING thing running on a battery, and NONE of the advice I've gotten from ANYONE has worked!  And all because you guys (Pine People) won't export / sell LiPo batteries for Pine!

Doing my head in!

Does this answer your questions about what each pin is for? :-P

I don't blame you for not finding it... it took me a while before I realised it was there at the bottom of the wiki page. Since then, any useful pine64 related info I come across I save into evernote and tag as such, so it can be easily found again. 

http://files.pine64.org/doc/Pine%20A64%2...160119.pdf
(08-25-2016, 08:19 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Does this answer your questions about what each pin is for? :-P

http://files.pine64.org/doc/Pine%20A64%2...160119.pdf

Well, of course.

... the main wiki page is the first place anyone should stop before working with the PineA64.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How-TO use a External HardDrive with a Pine64 JasperBrown 0 3,003 05-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Last Post: JasperBrown