OS INSTALL?
Does the pine A64+ come with the os pre installed. Or on an sd card. Like how would you get linux or android onto the thing. is there a specific mini monitor I should use for it. if not does it have vga capabilities.
Hi timmyiscool8,

the Pine64 doesn't  came with any pre-installed os, but you'll be able to buy MicroSD cards with a pre-installed operating system via backerkit in a few days.
You can also buy any MicroSD card on the market and just copy the choosen operating system image on it.

You're able to connect any HDMI monitor to the Pine64.
VGA monitors are also possible with a HDMI-to-VGA-adapter.
You can also buy a 7" touch display via backerkit in a few days.

Best regards
Julian
The OS is written on a microSD card. If you selected a pledge that comes with a microSD card that has Android,
then you just insert that microSD card in the Pine64 and boot it up.

It is possible to use your own microSD card and write on it the available Android image.
There are special tools to write such images on the microSD card for Windows, OS/X and Linux distributions.

At the moment there is an Android image (beta).

In addition, there are two preliminary Linux images, Debian and HypriotOS (for Docker).
At the moment, those Linux images are experimental, and are running the latest version of the Linux kernel.

The Pine64 does not have VGA output. You can get an adaptor to convert from HDMI to VGA.
In a few weeks you should receive an email from Pine64 (through "BackerKit") to select what options to enable (extra boards, peripherals, etc).
One of the extra options is an HDMI to VGA/AudioOut adapter. Check the Kickstarter page for a picture.
Wait, I havent pleged, because the kickstarter pledging is closed. Where is backerkit. I didnt really want to pay extra for other stuff. So how do I get it with android. I dont know where this backerkit thing is!

I really just want something that can come with an easy to install android. I knew setup would be envolved. But do you think rasberry pie or Chip would be better for me. I dont want to really pay extra. Sad

I was just going to buy it straight from the website. The basic was sold out, so i was going to get the next best (pine A64+ 1gb)
(01-25-2016, 01:42 PM)timmyiscool8 Wrote: Wait, I havent pleged, because the kickstarter pledging is closed. Where is backerkit. I didnt really want to pay extra for other stuff. So how do I get it with android. I dont know where this backerkit thing is!

I really just want something that can come with an easy to install android. I knew setup would be envolved. But do you think rasberry pie or Chip would be better for me. I dont want to really pay extra. Sad

Backerkit is for kickstarter backers to upgrade and add accessories to their existing pledges. If you didn't back the kickstarter but still wanted a unit, you will have to wait for the Pine A64 shop to go live, which it hasn't yet. They are focusing initially on getting kickstarter orders out first before taking on new orders, I think.

Anyway, Pine64 shop is here:

http://pine64.com/product

When the shop is open properly, you will be able to get pre-loaded micro sd cards with Android already installed, so all you would have to do is put in the card and plug in the power and you'd be good to go (Oh yeah, and connect a mouse and keyboard, or touchscreen).
On the website in a bio it says: the PINE64 can be purchased with the latest Android software built in, or you can upload the latest version of Linux. So that means it comes with android Pre installed on it. This still makes no sense. I get what you are saying about needing to buy an sdcard with android after. But this says it comes with android built in. so....
(01-25-2016, 05:42 PM)timmyiscool8 Wrote: On the website in a bio it says: the PINE64 can be purchased with the latest Android software built in, or you can upload the latest version of Linux. So that means it comes with android Pre installed on it. This still makes no sense. I get what you are saying about needing to buy an sdcard with android after. But this says it comes with android built in. so....

Yeah, I've just found that bit on the website that says:

"The PINE64 can be purchased with the latest Android software built in" 

just as you have said. I think the emphasis in that sentence however is 'can be', i.e. you can purchase the Pine with a pre-loaded, installed micro sd card. If you want. But I don't think that Android is 'built in'. The Pine doesn't have any on-board storage like eMMC. To boot operating systems, you are relying on those micro sd cards...

Perhaps that sentence on the website should be re-worded, to avoid further confusion.
Yes. Whellp I am going to get both this and chip computer. Test them out and see which one I like more
(01-25-2016, 06:06 PM)timmyiscool8 Wrote: Yes. Whellp I am going to get both this and chip computer. Test them out and see which one I like more

Specs for the P64+ are better and I like that we'll be able to run Android, Ubuntu, maybe other OSs in the future. But I guess it all depends on what you're using it for. 

Did you order the Pocket Chip? Any thoughts on their OS?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there an android tv image out there where I can install netflix? eclay 2 6,289 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Last Post: eclay
  Xposed works! More or less. How To: Manually install Xposed Framework hyperlogos 6 16,497 10-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Last Post: webterminator77
  Faulty lcd screen? Wrong install process? Help! Krinilssen 4 6,160 06-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: janjwerner