Camera not recognized
maybe if pine64 was not in the habit of selling things that do not work the problem would not exist.
(08-03-2016, 11:06 PM)dkryder Wrote: maybe if pine64 was not in the habit of selling things that do not work the problem would not exist.

No, actually, that goes too far;  and is unfair.  The PineA64 DOES work, and the hardware is absolutely capable of doing all of the things the PineA64 was advertised to do. 

The camera works, as does the board; very well in fact.  I have taken several beautiful pictures with my PineA64 and my 5mp camera !  The PineA64 board is being used in venues where it was not slated to be used for quiet some time... because the efforts of talented people made the rapid escalation of software capabilities a reality. These same talented people (from all over the earth, yes) have made the gnu+linux system run in multiple versions with lightening speed.  In fact, this camera module does in fact run on debian and ubuntu !

The issue in this thread is not about pine bashing;  the issue is how we bring forward rapid-fire advances in software technology so that they can be leveraged in a practical way by common users; users, that is, who are photographers and not software developers !!

I am in no way picking on @lex either ! Please allow me to make that perfectly clear; he's worked hard.

All I'm doing is pinning down the prereqs, dependencies, and procedures so that common users may have the best experience possible using the 5mp camera on the PineA64. That is what we'll be working through tomorrow.  Common users should not have to paw through reams of forum notes and github readme(s) to get a camera to take a video... it needs to be cleaned up and locked down... and that says nothing about the Pine team, nor the Pine hardware capabilities. 

The pine bashing needs to stop; its not fair, and its not helpful.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
what needs to stop is deleting posts , done by some moderators , made by members/consumers who are expressing their opinion about issues that are happening. companies that sell product in the u.s. are bound by federal law which protects consumers. one of those laws is notification to the consumer of requirements. for instance, if a piece of hardware is being sold that requires specific software that is not available from the seller, notice needs to be made. so, like when a certain moderator made warning against certain software, the same type warning or notice should be made about the specific hardware needing certain software by the seller. people who do not live in the u.s. probably are not aware of the consumer protection act which is federal law in the u.s. . it probably is also a violation for agents to delete notice given by consumers to other consumers. but consumers of products such as the camera who are aware of limitations of the products have, in the united states, a right to notify other potential consumers that software needed to operate the camera is not available from the seller. so i'd like to ask any moderators who are deleting posts by members/consumers of product being made to other member/potential consumer of product to just stop. these particular posts are made by a u.s. citizen who is buying a product in the u.s. and is covered by the consumer protection act and all other consumer laws. thank you.
(08-04-2016, 03:04 PM)dkryder Wrote: what needs to stop is deleting posts , done by some moderators , made by members/consumers who are expressing their opinion about issues that are happening.  companies that sell product in the u.s. are bound by federal law which protects consumers.  one of those laws is notification to the consumer of requirements.  for instance, if a piece of hardware is being sold that requires specific software that is not available from the seller, notice needs to be made.  so, like when a certain moderator made warning against certain software, the same type warning or notice should be made about the specific hardware needing certain software by the seller. people who do not live in the u.s. probably are not aware of the consumer protection act which is federal law in the u.s. . it probably is also a violation for agents to delete notice given by consumers to other consumers. but consumers of products such as the camera who are aware of limitations of the products have, in the united states, a right to notify other potential consumers that software needed to operate the camera is not available from the seller.  so i'd like to ask any moderators who are deleting posts by members/consumers of product being made to other member/potential consumer of product to just stop. these particular posts are made by a u.s. citizen who is buying a product in the u.s. and is covered by the consumer protection act and all other consumer laws. thank you.

In the United Kingdom, the Consumer Protection Act of 1987 is more about liability of persons for damage caused by defective products, pertaining to said product's safety, rather than the function or lack thereof of the product in question.

I did try and find the Consumer Protection Act as it pertains to the USA, but did not have much luck, though I did find a lot of info about consumer rights, both in the US and here in the UK.

But like I said, here in the UK, the meaning and purpose of the Consumer Protection Act specifically relates to product safety, not product function.
(08-04-2016, 03:04 PM)dkryder Wrote: what needs to stop is deleting posts , done by some moderators , made by members/consumers who are expressing their opinion about issues that are happening.  companies that sell product in the u.s. are bound by federal law which protects consumers.  one of those laws is notification to the consumer of requirements.  for instance, if a piece of hardware is being sold that requires specific software that is not available from the seller, notice needs to be made.  so, like when a certain moderator made warning against certain software, the same type warning or notice should be made about the specific hardware needing certain software by the seller. people who do not live in the u.s. probably are not aware of the consumer protection act which is federal law in the u.s. . it probably is also a violation for agents to delete notice given by consumers to other consumers. but consumers of products such as the camera who are aware of limitations of the products have, in the united states, a right to notify other potential consumers that software needed to operate the camera is not available from the seller.  so i'd like to ask any moderators who are deleting posts by members/consumers of product being made to other member/potential consumer of product to just stop. these particular posts are made by a u.s. citizen who is buying a product in the u.s. and is covered by the consumer protection act and all other consumer laws. thank you.

Nonsense.

... we will attempt this once more, only, then posts will be deleted (and possibly, accounts will be disabled).

Pine bashing is not going to be tolerated. Its not fair, and its not helpful.  Cease and desist.

Your statement about product function is categorically in error; this is not a matter of debate, its a matter of fact. The PineA64 board and camera, including LCD and Android software work perfectly.  I have personally tested the setup and can categorically affirm the function of theses products. In fact, the 5mp camera (with Android LCD image running on the PineA64) takes beautiful pictures by anyone's definition. its a fabulous setup.

No promises were made, nor implied, that your particular setup or purpose would be satisfactorily realized with all possible combinations and permutations of possible hardware and software. That said, many combinations and permutations of hardware and software have been realized on the PineA64 in just the last 60 days.  For instance, I booted Gentoo gnu+linux today on the PineA64 board (2Gb) and have enjoyed a sweet ride--- that wasn't even possible just a few months ago... the new integrated drm code has corrected the framebuffer console cursor problem, and the gnu+linux image (Gentoo) is stable and solid.  The 5mp camera will run there too; albeit the procedures have not been nailed down yet.

My PineA64 Android image and 5mp camera function perfectly.  I have posted pics from that camera to this forum many times now. Feel free to take a look, but cease immediately to bash the Pine team, nor the Pine products, on this forum.  Play nice, or not at all.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
i do not use android. i do not have any desire to use android. it's not so much as promises being made because vendors have never been required to promise anything about the products they sell. consumers do have, or should have, a reasonable expectation that what hardware they purchase will function with software provided, in my case the linux product, unless it is stated otherwise. you seem to feel that my comments are bashing pine64, but nothing is further from the truth. the truth is i'm trying to help pine64 realize that it is generally better to fully inform their customers upfront about what, if anything specific, is needed to operate the hardware. they have given notice about lcd screen needing specific software. great thing to do. helps customers make decisions. i do not understand why notice that camera needs android is so much different or a bigger problem for them. i'm confused/puzzled as to why notice for lcd display but no notice for camera.
(08-05-2016, 02:33 AM)dkryder Wrote: i do not use android. i do not have any desire to use android. it's not so much as promises being made because vendors have never been required to promise anything about the products they sell. consumers do have, or should have, a reasonable expectation that what hardware they purchase will function with software provided, in my case the linux product, unless it is stated otherwise. you seem to feel that my comments are bashing pine64, but nothing is further from the truth. the truth is i'm trying to help pine64 realize that it is generally better to fully inform their customers upfront about what, if anything specific, is needed to operate the hardware. they have given notice about lcd screen needing specific software. great thing to do. helps customers make decisions. i do not understand why notice that camera needs android is so much different or a bigger problem for them. i'm confused/puzzled as to why notice for lcd display but no notice for camera.

You have asked a good question. 

... things are rapidly morphing for the PineA64 platform; in it's infancy it was primarily conceived as tablet guts-- a very inexpensive Android tablet is how it was conceived, and initially marketed. There was a hint of linux on the side. But the main idea was that this platform is an inexpensive super computer which can leverage the google play store and provide a play store experience much cheaper than a standard tablet experience. 

That said, things have kinda flip-flopped.  gnu+linux has really taken off; and will continue to get better.  Now then, we gnu+linux developers are rapidly trying to leverage the full potential of this platform (including the camera) and most of those developers are not Pine people, per se... they are volunteers devoting their personal resources and time to leverage the full potential of this platform so that everyone  (including you)  can have the very best experience.  I am helping that process too... and nobody is paying me for it either... I do it because I love it, and I do it because I care;  its the right thing to do.  I personally believe that everyone of us is either a part of the solution, or we are part of the problem.  I am encouraging you to join us to be part of the solution !

I'm working on documenting the camera build and use for debian as we speak...  its the right thing to do, and when we get the kinks ironed out, you too will be able to enjoy the benefits of volunteers like myself (and many others) who are working hard to leverage this platform for its full potential !
marcushh777    Cool

Code:
GUVCVIEW: couldn't open /root/.config/guvcview2/video0 for read: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: ERROR opening V4L2 interface for /dev/video0
V4L2_CORE: ERROR opening V4L interface: Device or resource busy
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged
turns out that it sill did not work. There has to be clues here somewhere about the source of the problem.
(08-05-2016, 12:47 PM)mus1c Wrote:
Code:
GUVCVIEW: couldn't open /root/.config/guvcview2/video0 for read: No such file or directory
V4L2_CORE: ERROR opening V4L2 interface for /dev/video0
V4L2_CORE: ERROR opening V4L interface: Device or resource busy
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged
turns out that it sill did not work. There has to be clues here somewhere about the source of the problem.

Yup, it is in another thread... look here:
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...5#pid17375

My camera also doesn't work with newest Ubuntu image and both guvcview2.0.2 & 2.0.4 ... but looking forward to news from Marcus & Lex
If I posted something helpful, please rate +
I have communicated with @lex ; I too get the errors listed above in my tests with the debian image. I am still working with it (plan to be working with it most of Saturday, until I either get it resolved, or turn the doc over to @lex).

He thought my issue was not getting the /dev/video0 device; which is not the case. I do get the device, just as above, but the stock guvcview does not connect with the device (as above) and the latest guvcview sources will not build (as yet) on my debian image--- trying another image tomorrow.
marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB HUB 214b:7000 Not recognized victagayun 0 3,292 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: victagayun