Camera not recognized
(10-15-2016, 06:59 PM)mcrognale Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 04:57 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Mike, unfortunately, the playbox was designed for a different camera module. Sorry, but the camera module does not fit in the current configuration.

The playbox suffers from several design flaws; the camera is just one of them.

Well damn! It would have been nice if the store had said as much. I ordered two of them for both my systems. Can I get a refund then? 

Unfortunately, no.

... but there are alternatives. The playbox and the camera are after-all, just material. There are a number of ways to mount the camera in the playbox which would be satisfactory. I mounted all of my playbox guts in a cardboard box covered in duct tape -- cb&dt playbox !  ( you can see it on the forum here )

You might mount the camera module in the end of a pvc tube (coat the whole black) and then mount the tube in the end of the playbox (where is not particularly important) but the cable should reach and the camera should be away from hand-holds.

Use your imagination; and creativity.  This is a Maker world and we are DIY amateur engineers and hobbyists-- make the best of it/  how often is it that you'll be given the opportunity to make your own tablet ?

hi, one way to mount the camera in the end of a small tube is to use epoxy ( make sure to not get epoxy on the lens ) so that the square camera module is made 'round'. It is then easy to mount the round tube in a hole cut in the playbox with a dremel tool. 3/8 " PVC tube would work well for this. But there are other ways to manufacture a mounting tube (even using an aluminum optical tube; although more expensive).
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(10-15-2016, 10:15 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 04:57 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: Mike, unfortunately, the playbox was designed for a different camera module. Sorry, but the camera module does not fit in the current configuration.

Well damn! It would have been nice if the store had said as much. I ordered two of them for both my systems. Can I get a refund then? 

Unfortunately, no.

... but there are alternatives. The playbox and the camera are after-all, just material. There are a number of ways to mount the camera in the playbox which would be satisfactory. I mounted all of my playbox guts in a cardboard box covered in duct tape -- cb&dt playbox !  ( you can see it on the forum here )

You might mount the camera module in the end of a pvc tube (coat the whole black) and then mount the tube in the end of the playbox (where is not particularly important) but the cable should reach and the camera should be away from hand-holds.

Use your imagination; and creativity.  This is a Maker world and we are DIY amateur engineers and hobbyists-- make the best of it/  how often is it that you'll be given the opportunity to make your own tablet ?

hi, one way to mount the camera in the end of a small tube is to use epoxy ( make sure to not get epoxy on the lens ) so that the square camera module is made 'round'. It is then easy to mount the round tube in a hole cut in the playbox with a dremel tool. 3/8 " PVC tube would work well for this. But there are other ways to manufacture a mounting tube (even using an aluminum optical tube; although more expensive).
I am disappointed that no one thought of that issue before. I can make it work. Thanks,
Mike
See https://github.com/avafinger/guvcview_2.0.4/issues/1
(08-04-2016, 11:23 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: The PineA64 board and camera, including LCD and Android software work perfectly.  I have personally tested the setup and can categorically affirm the function of theses products. In fact, the 5mp camera (with Android LCD image running on the PineA64) takes beautiful pictures by anyone's definition. its a fabulous setup.

No promises were made, nor implied, that your particular setup or purpose would be satisfactorily realized with all possible combinations and permutations of possible hardware and software. That said, many combinations and permutations of hardware and software have been realized on the PineA64 in just the last 60 days.  For instance, I booted Gentoo gnu+linux today on the PineA64 board (2Gb) and have enjoyed a sweet ride--- that wasn't even possible just a few months ago... the new integrated drm code has corrected the framebuffer console cursor problem, and the gnu+linux image (Gentoo) is stable and solid.  The 5mp camera will run there too; albeit the procedures have not been nailed down yet.

My PineA64 Android image and 5mp camera function perfectly.  I have posted pics from that camera to this forum many times now.

Mark, I don't mean to hijack this thread, and if you want to point me to another forum thread, I understand. I've tried setting up the camera with the Android 6.0.1 LCD image, and while my 2GB Pine64+ boots fine with the image, it does not find the camera. I thought maybe it was some driver related issue. I'm not familiar with Android at the command line like I am with Linux variations to determine if the camera is being mapped to a non-standard location, as you mentioned may be the case in another thread. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Edward

(10-16-2016, 06:47 AM)mcrognale Wrote:
(10-15-2016, 10:15 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Unfortunately, no.

I am disappointed that no one thought of that issue before. I can make it work. Thanks,
Mike

I used some flush cut wire cutters to trim away the plastic guides where the camera is supposed to mount, then hot glued one edge of the camera in place. If I can get the OS to recognize the camera, then I'll be able to determine just how well centered the camera actually is over the view port.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB HUB 214b:7000 Not recognized victagayun 0 3,292 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: victagayun