battery power in android
(08-13-2016, 02:09 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 11:07 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 10:32 PM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: OK - so I've got 10 x 10K resistors from RS - which side/end does the "resistance"?  Dumb newb question I know - but - as previously stated - I'm colour blind - and never done this kinda stuff before... :-)

i.e. which end do I point at the middle pin of Pine's battery input?  the gold end - or the end with two darker stripes (I can't tell what colour they are)?

hi, resistors are not 'directional'  like a diode is.  Put it in either direction, does not matter.  The 10K resistor connects to the center pin, and runs to ground.  The positive RED wire goes in VBAT+  and the black  negative wire goes in VBAT-

What Mark said Smile And please don't tell us you can't tell the difference between red and black (as you said you were colour blind)... otherwise I'll start to cry knowing a pine64 is about to suffer it's demise (50/50 chance) :Big Grin

Well, my generic 8000mah battery seems to be no-where near it's rated capacity - is lasting about half the time I would have liked (basically overnight). I had intended to make it so the pine64 was charged from solar when the sun was up, and run from the battery overnight, but the battery is only just making it overnight, so won't last long with that near total usage, and doesn't leave any room for the pine64 do actually do some work.... this was with the pine64 idling. 

So much for 8000 / 300 = 26 hours (or 20 hours if you base it on a 400ma load). Either this battery is not up to spec (likely), and/or the pine64 is lying about it's power consumption (also possible). I'm getting 15 hours of runtime (and it saying 3% capacity when the power cuts back in!!!), so not happy jan! Maybe I'll have to strap on a second cell in parallel give it the capacity bump it needs. I'm liking the idea of using 18650 cells in holders... 5 or 6 of those at 2200mah should do the trick (and be about the same size as the pine64 to boot!

If you read this thread from the start - then you'd already be aware I have already wired up a battery to Pine - and got Android to show them charging - but being unable to actually power Pine off a battery (dies when I pull micro USB power from it).

Yes - in ideal lighting conditions - I can distinguish black from red...

And as for tears, I have a love hate relationship with Pine - and one day I may end up deliberately smashing one of my boards and shed tears of pure savage delight :-) 

Anyway - going to test tonight, or tomorrow morning, whether any of my batteries with PH3 connectors + 10 K resistor to middle pin, will actually power Pine64, or not...   Right now Android is the only resource I have for testing, really hanging out for a Linux build that supports the Pine branded 7" touchpanel...
(08-16-2016, 01:58 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: If you read this thread from the start - then you'd already be aware I have already wired up a battery to Pine - and got Android to show them charging - but being unable to actually power Pine off a battery (dies when I pull micro USB power from it).

Yes - in ideal lighting conditions - I can distinguish black from red...

And as for tears, I have a love hate relationship with Pine - and one day I may end up deliberately smashing one of my boards and shed tears of pure savage delight :-) 

Anyway - going to test tonight, or tomorrow morning, whether any of my batteries with PH3 connectors + 10 K resistor to middle pin, will actually power Pine64, or not...   Right now Android is the only resource I have for testing, really hanging out for a Linux build that supports the Pine branded 7" touchpanel...

Yeah, has be a few days since this thread started so the grey matter is starting to forget things... and just checking, especially since there will be a re-wire involved... so good 'ol Murphy will be in the building Big Grin

That sounds a little... boring! You should hire a steam roller to flatten the kinks out of it xD

Fingers crossed, hope that fixes it.
I connect the battery and no power. I plug the ac and power on and charging battery. Disconnect ac power from battery. Have one button on power side. Pressing that does not shut it off. Is there a command to shut down? I have ordered more switches from Hong Kong but that will take a while. I have the abs case and  rather close it once.
(08-31-2016, 07:21 PM)gperez1234 Wrote: I connect the battery and no power. I plug the ac and power on and charging battery. Disconnect ac power from battery. Have one button on power side. Pressing that does not shut it off. Is there a command to shut down? I have ordered more switches from Hong Kong but that will take a while. I have the abs case and  rather close it once.

If you press and hold the button (hold the button for a couple seconds) the power off dialog box will be displayed. 

If you click the button it will suspend; however, you will not be able to wake it in most situations (some claim that the most recent image will awaken).

If you have not soldered the switch in place it will not work. Obviously, the switch might be defective.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
When you say no power (in the first instance), do you mean that the pine64 didn't just power up when you connected the battery? If so, that is normal... after the battery is connected, you hold the button the power button down till it glows a bit brighter (it first comes on dim, then brightens) and then let go.

With pressing the power button not shutting it off... is this with android (as that is the thread topic)? On android, you should be able to hold down the power button for about 2 seconds, and then get a power menu, and then you'll need to use a mouse to click on 'power off' Wink

On linux, it appears from comments by others that pressing the power button on a desktop GUI (i.e. MATE) environment will bring up the power off menu prompt, allowing you to choose to shutdown or restart. On a headless / console linux build, the power button isn't bound to anything by default, so effectively does nothing. In that instance... type in  'sudo shutdown -h' or 'sudo poweroff' to power down the pine.

If the button is doing nothing on android or on a desktop GUI, you might want to double check the solder connection, as it should be working. You can also connect jumper wires to the EXP header, and seeing what happens when you bridge/connect pins 5 & 6, mimicking the pressing of the button.

(08-31-2016, 07:21 PM)gperez1234 Wrote: I connect the battery and no power. I plug the ac and power on and charging battery. Disconnect ac power from battery. Have one button on power side. Pressing that does not shut it off. Is there a command to shut down? I have ordered more switches from Hong Kong but that will take a while. I have the abs case and  rather close it once.
Thank you all! I was afraid to solder. I soldered it in and it works and the solder job does not look to horrible. Do I need the reset button? I have some of the switches coming. Unfortunately the case appears to be designed to be closed once and good luck taking it apart after that. I can always use the switches for breadboards although the pins are arranged differently.
Beautiful!

If you can turn the power supply off for the pine64 on and off (or unplug it), then no, there is no real need for the reset button. Yeah, you can probably get away with using them on breadboards... prublem is the front to pins are the actual switch pins, and the back two are just a mechanical anchor... so you'll want to bend them out of the way if you use them on a breadboard.

(09-01-2016, 03:01 AM)gperez1234 Wrote: Thank you all! I was afraid to solder. I soldered it in and it works and the solder job does not look to horrible. Do I need the reset button? I have some of the switches coming. Unfortunately the case appears to be designed to be closed once and good luck taking it apart after that. I can always use the switches for breadboards although the pins are arranged differently.
I'm going nuts...please HELP.
I finally got my PlayBox. I installed a 10000mha li ion 3.7v 2 wire battery by soldering + & - to the bottom of 1 and 3 pins of the battery connector with the proper polarity and switched the jumper to the Batt position. Assembled it all together and tried to give it a full charge. I'm running the Pine Android LCD image. The battery shows it's charging in Android but the % doesn't increase. I then powered off leaving the 5v usb power supply that came with the board plugged in and the system switched over to charge mode. I left it sit for 16 hrs and when I powered up again Android shows exactly the same % of charge. What's going on???
(09-01-2016, 04:36 AM)dcmorley Wrote: I'm going nuts...please HELP.
I finally got my PlayBox. I installed a 10000mha li ion 3.7v 2 wire battery by soldering + & - to the bottom of 1 and 3 pins of the battery connector with the proper polarity and switched the jumper to the Batt position. Assembled it all together and tried to give it a full charge. I'm running the Pine Android LCD image. The battery shows it's charging in Android but the % doesn't increase. I then powered off leaving the 5v usb power supply that came with the board plugged in and the system switched over to charge mode. I left it sit for 16 hrs and when I powered up again Android shows exactly the same % of charge. What's going on???

The PMIC will NOT charge the batter using a two wire system.  The third wire (the center one, yellow on three wire systems) is required so that the charge system can monitor the temperature.  

You may 'fool' the PMIC by running a 10K ohm resistor from the center pin(2) to ground, on a two wire system, and then the PMIC will charge the battery.

(hope this helps you)
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-01-2016, 05:03 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

The PMIC will NOT charge the batter using a two wire system.  The third wire (the center one, yellow on three wire systems) is required so that the charge system can monitor the temperature.  

You may 'fool' the PMIC by running a 10K ohm resistor from the center pin(2) to ground, on a two wire system, and then the PMIC will charge the battery.

(hope this helps you)

ThankX Mark, I'll try that. At least I now know.

(09-01-2016, 03:55 PM)dcmorley Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 05:03 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

(hope this helps you)

ThankX Mark, I'll try that. At least I now know.

Mark, Should I use a thermistor or is it safe to just use a resistor?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Lithium battery temperature readout? GregH 0 1,849 03-12-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: GregH
  Lithium 3.7 Volt Battery Ron Piggott 49 65,535 07-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Battery level measurement? HugoRabson 2 4,151 03-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Travelling with the Pine64 (and Lipo battery) psychedup 2 4,493 02-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Last Post: tllim
  CR2032 Battery holder - sanity check xalius 23 26,014 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Last Post: DonFL
  Battery temp pin? SvdSinner 1 3,773 12-13-2016, 11:35 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  RTC Backup Battery - CR sbentjies 6 9,200 07-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Last Post: jwouellette
  Battery Datasheet xalius 0 2,434 06-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Lithium 'salt and battery UnixOutlaw 0 2,332 05-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Last Post: UnixOutlaw
  Minor note about the RTC battery MichaelMeissner 12 17,619 02-18-2016, 05:17 AM
Last Post: German