Accessing USB drive connected to PINE64
Hi all,

I've gotten the Pine64 media board up and running with the latest image and all seems to be working well aside from being unable to power on the device with the remote control and that Play store issue (though the work-around of trying to add the Google account gets me around that).  I've installed Kodi on it and it's an amazing app! 

I've got a USB drive connected to the Pine and am able to play all files with no issues.  However, I'd like to be able to add/delete files to the USB drive from my Windows machine - is that possible?  Meaning, can I get the USB drive that's connected to the Pine to show up as a network share on my Windows machine since they're all on the same network?  

I've looked online and found the app "Files drag and drop" but though it says it detects the Pine, A) it doesn't display a list of files on the drive, and B) even though I try to copy a test file, I get authentication errors.

Would anyone have any other suggestions?
Never mind! I realized I could ES File Explorer to do this via FTP - all is good Smile
hi, the remote control cannot be used to power-on the device (with Android; my only test thus far);

On power-down the remote functions just like the hardware switch... a quick single push of the remote power button (blue) results in putting the system to sleep, from which there is no recovery except to press the reset button. From a 'running' state a 'long press' of the remote blue power button brings up the [ power off, reboot ] dialog box... the two options may be scrolled using the remote's arrow keys, and the desired option may be selected with the OK = button.

If the unit is in the 'off' state then the blue remote power button does nothing.

marcushh777
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-01-2016, 10:13 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, the remote control cannot be used to power-on the device (with Android; my only test thus far);

On power-down the remote functions just like the hardware switch...  a quick single push of the remote power button (blue) results in putting the system to sleep, from which there is no recovery except to press the reset button.  From a 'running' state a 'long press' of the remote blue power button brings up the  [ power off,  reboot ]  dialog box... the two options may be scrolled using the remote's arrow keys, and the desired option may be selected with the OK = button.

If the unit is in the 'off' state then the blue remote power button does nothing.

marcushh777

Thanks for getting back to me on this marcushh777.  Our remote button colors are different (my power button is red), but I just tested and you're right, long-holding does bring up the option to reboot which is good to know.  I do wish I could make use of the power switch though, but maybe because I haven't soldered it on (I just fit it into the holes on the board and bent the pins), so pressing it doesn't power on the device if it's off, I still have to unplug/replug the power cord.
(08-02-2016, 07:33 AM)matsunorij Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 10:13 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, the remote control cannot be used to power-on the device (with Android; my only test thus far);

On power-down the remote functions just like the hardware switch...  a quick single push of the remote power button (blue) results in putting the system to sleep, from which there is no recovery except to press the reset button.  From a 'running' state a 'long press' of the remote blue power button brings up the  [ power off,  reboot ]  dialog box... the two options may be scrolled using the remote's arrow keys, and the desired option may be selected with the OK = button.

marcushh777

Thanks for getting back to me on this marcushh777.  Our remote button colors are different (my power button is red), but I just tested and you're right, long-holding does bring up the option to reboot which is good to know.  I do wish I could make use of the power switch though, but maybe because I haven't soldered it on (I just fit it into the holes on the board and bent the pins), so pressing it doesn't power on the device if it's off, I still have to unplug/replug the power cord.

The power-on will NOT work unless the battery is plugged in and charged... also, I doubt the switch will work either if its not soldered in place...  and note...  it takes a 40 watt iron or soldering station that you can turn the heat up on...

... the switch is heavy metal and the rear posts and the board absorb a lot of heat, so it takes a beefy soldering iron.

definitely solder the switch on, and get yourself a reset switch too...

marcus
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-02-2016, 09:31 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 07:33 AM)matsunorij Wrote:

marcushh777

The power-on will NOT work unless the battery is plugged in and charged... also, I doubt the switch will work either if its not soldered in place...  and note...  it takes a 40 watt iron or soldering station that you can turn the heat up on...

... the switch is heavy metal and the rear posts and the board absorb a lot of heat, so it takes a beefy soldering iron.

definitely solder the switch on, and get yourself a reset switch too...

marcus

Thanks Marcus.  I don't have a soldering iron so I'll probably have to wait for a while and just deal with unplugging/plugging back in for the time being.  I also didn't know about needing a battery - would you happen to have a link for someplace (say on ebay) where I could order one?
(08-03-2016, 07:14 AM)matsunorij Wrote: Thanks Marcus.  I don't have a soldering iron so I'll probably have to wait for a while and just deal with unplugging/plugging back in for the time being.  I also didn't know about needing a battery - would you happen to have a link for someplace (say on ebay) where I could order one?

The battery is a three wire lith-ion 8000mah package  12cm x 6.4cm x 0.95cm  and will be made available on the pine store. I am currently testing with both batteries the pine store is contemplating; they both perform well-- cost is the only factor really.

I recommend getting a three wire battery (with temperature sensor) and not mess around with two wire...  requires an external resistor at the second position, and is a pain IMHO. 

As far as soldering goes, you do not need to solder anything if you don't want to... you can attach switched to the board at the EXP header using jumper wires and then run those to the case front panel of side of whatever enclosure you pick out...  just another option available to you.
marcushh777    Cool

(08-03-2016, 09:36 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 07:14 AM)matsunorij Wrote: Thanks Marcus.  I don't have a soldering iron so I'll probably have to wait for a while and just deal with unplugging/plugging back in for the time being.  I also didn't know about needing a battery - would you happen to have a link for someplace (say on ebay) where I could order one?

The battery is a three wire lith-ion 8000mah package  12cm x 6.4cm x 0.95cm  and will be made available on the pine store. I am currently testing with both batteries the pine store is contemplating; they both perform well-- cost is the only factor really.

I recommend getting a three wire battery (with temperature sensor) and not mess around with two wire...  requires an external resistor at the second position, and is a pain IMHO. 

As far as soldering goes, you do not need to solder anything if you don't want to... you can attach switched to the board at the EXP header using jumper wires and then run those to the case front panel of side of whatever enclosure you pick out...  just another option available to you.

Apologies for the late reply!  Work's been keeping me busy Sad
Thanks for the info regarding the battery - I'll look into getting it when it becomes available Smile

For the enclosure, I got the open acrylic one in the pledge I selected on KS Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connected to Wifi but no Internet pnoyrocket 2 5,498 11-22-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
  Pine64+ 1G and Pine LCD with Android 6.0.1 Tanveer 0 2,951 09-03-2018, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Tanveer
  Unsupported USB Drive NTFS exFAT metallica22 2 4,094 03-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Wizardknight
  2nd ethernet in PINE64 with android daniele 2 4,007 12-07-2017, 05:09 AM
Last Post: daniele
  Pine64 + Youtube TV Performance mikedice417 0 2,085 11-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Last Post: mikedice417
  USB GPS dongles that work with Android on Pine64+ ? trondkj 2 4,357 11-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Skivholme
  Android 7.1 reboot on Pine64 2GB rkbren81@gmail.com 2 4,029 11-07-2017, 06:33 AM
Last Post: rkbren81@gmail.com
  Connecting external DVDRW drive via USB to Pine64 galbez 4 6,036 10-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Does snapchat work on pine64 with android? user875545 1 4,137 08-29-2017, 12:05 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot hangs on pine64, how to debug? olh 1 3,523 08-29-2017, 12:04 AM
Last Post: tllim