PineTab2 first use
Just wanted to add a posting in here along with the others. Just got my PineTab2 today. Pulled it out of the box, let it charge up and then turned it on. Hadn't read the forums until now and didn't realize the wifi wouldn't work. Happened to have a USB-C ethernet adapter so I plugged that in and it's online. But no updates seem to be available.

Been using it for maybe an hour off and on and the battery is at 77%. I'm hoping that with some tweaks in the future that'll get a bit better.Did some web searches using the Angel browser and it's not too bad. Not exactly speedy but not too slow.

What I really like so far is the keyboard. It feels very natural, the key response is great and I'm able to type at nearly my normal speed. I'd be able to reply to emails and even have conversations on slack it seems like. The keyboard gets an A+. When it's in the holder and I'm typing on the keyboard and using the touch pad it feels almost like a laptop. Which is one of the features I really like. Convergence and all.

The tablet itself feels a little lighter and a little more svelte than the original PineTab. Just carrying it feels like a more 'modern' tablet. But since there's no wifi I'm literally tethered at the moment. I'll be watching the fourms and hoping for a wifi fix in the near future. I'm not sure who to reach out to but I'd be happy to volunteer and test any wifi device drivers that come out.

What's also nice is the way it sort of 'snaps' into the keyboard case. And I was even able to type while having it on my lap.

Looking forward to have a well functioning tablet in the future!
I started up my PineTab2 when I received it today and was met with a sign-in screen with user "alarm". Am I supposed to know the password? Did I miss something? I can't get into recovery to change the password like I normally could either. Maybe with a USB keyboard?

Other than that, it's pretty nicely put together. I really like all the ports it has -- I've been missing my video out port since I had to give up my Atrix! My only concern is that the hinge of the cover is just a double sheet of vinyl, that's definitely going to start tearing at some point well before the rest of it wears out.

Edit: Okay, a very quick search lets me know that the password for user "alarm" is "123456" Posting here in case others need it.
(06-06-2023, 07:14 PM)ecs Wrote: I started up my PineTab2 when I received it today and was met with a sign-in screen with user "alarm". Am I supposed to know the password? Did I miss something? I can't get into recovery to change the password like I normally could either. Maybe with a USB keyboard?

Other than that, it's pretty nicely put together. I really like all the ports it has -- I've been missing my video out port since I had to give up my Atrix! My only concern is that the hinge of the cover is just a double sheet of vinyl, that's definitely going to start tearing at some point well before the rest of it wears out.

Edit: Okay, a very quick search lets me know that the password for user "alarm" is "123456" Posting here in case others need it.

Since I've used the Danctnix Arch Linux distro on my pinephone I was used to it! But I can see where it's a bit of a puzzle. Others have posted about finding some kind of users manual in theirs and mine didn't have anything.

btw, the wiki is https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineTab2, hopefully that'll save some others some searching.

Haven't tried the video out options yet, but that will be a nice addition!
There was a manual in my main tablet box, underneath the cardboard insert, I had to pull it out to see it and find out about the password.

I am really pleased with the build quality, smoothness, and how well thought out everything seems (including the way it attaches to the case, the nice feeling OS obviously requiring dev time to get this smooth, the screen protector, basically aside from the wifi (common linux mobile device problem, and still somewhat common with regular PC wifi unless a lot of people have them in their hands) it has exceeded my expectations out of the box.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone is interested for a PineTab2 8GB in Mexico? genobraker 0 175 03-06-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: genobraker
  Bricked my PineTab2 using Jumpdrive? jkboyd 2 312 02-24-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: jkboyd
  Castle Game Engine on PineTab2 now officially available michalis 1 803 12-14-2023, 12:22 AM
Last Post: tllim
  PinePhone or PineBook USB-C hubs on Pinetab2? Evergreen 1 676 11-05-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: WEF
  Pinetab2 screen issue. screen does not power on at all bluemage 5 1,325 09-25-2023, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bluemage
  What's the MAX RAM you can install to PineTab2? Ptab2newb 2 939 09-12-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Ptab2newb
  Booting from SD card on Pinetab2 samochimaaron 10 2,909 08-23-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Pinetab2 without Wifi a comfort extra? Schlucker 8 3,092 07-14-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  PineTab2 virtual keyboard: symbols instead of numbers clemfandango 5 1,957 07-12-2023, 05:32 AM
Last Post: mtomaschett
  Pinetab2 not booting. elix 10 2,894 07-09-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: elix