Internet phone tethering help
Hi,
i'm trying to tether the connection from my iPhone, following the wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineTab2#Pe..._an_iPhone
(it's in the right usb-C next to the volume)

The phone shows the icon as if something is connected, in the pinetab2 i see the icon of wired network and in the settings i can see an "Io" connection with status "connected".
I can also see the folder and camera in the tray and access the phone.

However i can't connect to internet, anyone can give me a hand or point me to documentation on how to fix this? not sure if i'm doing something wrong or what can i do...

Thanks!
(06-06-2023, 03:30 PM)Corconegre Wrote: Hi,
i'm trying to tether the connection from my iPhone, following the wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineTab2#Pe..._an_iPhone

The phone shows the icon as if something is connected, in the pinetab2 i see the icon of wired network and in the settings i can see an "Io" connection with status "connected".

However i can't connect to internet, anyone can give me a hand or point me to documentation on how to fix this? not sure if i'm doing something wrong or what can i do...

Thanks!

how usb tetherring works is that tehtering device exposes as a virtual usb based ethernet device to the other device, usually device also has dhcp server some kind. basically pinetab2 should see some kind of networking device, maybe it's "usb0", "eth0", "enx##", or something. try following command to get some info.

Code:
ip address
# if root is required
sudo ip address

if you do not see any tethering networking device, i think there is a driver, kernel, module or installation problem.

if you see something, maybe networking does not use it, like dhcp client. you could try (sudo) "nmtui".

Thanks!

Have you turned on the Mobile Hotspot in the iPhone ? (See prerequisits)
Your case sounds like mine before I turned it on.
(06-06-2023, 06:37 PM)zetabeta Wrote:

Thanks!

how usb tetherring works is that tehtering device exposes as a virtual usb based ethernet device to the other device, usually device also has dhcp server some kind. basically pinetab2 should see some kind of networking device, maybe it's "usb0", "eth0", "enx##", or something. try following command to get some info.

Code:
ip address
# if root is required
sudo ip address

if you do not see any tethering networking device, i think there is a driver, kernel, module or installation problem.

if you see something, maybe networking does not use it, like dhcp client. you could try (sudo) "nmtui".

I did try those commands before but as i did not see any connection there i was unsure what was happening.
However, based on your comments i thought maybe it needed a "blank connection" to be used, so i created a new one, and when i plugged the phone again it did connect to it automatically and it works now..

Thanks for the help!

(06-07-2023, 06:43 AM)Surehand53 Wrote:

Thanks!

Have you turned on the Mobile Hotspot in the iPhone ? (See prerequisits)
Your case sounds like mine before I turned it on.

Yes, was an issue with the connection not existing, i created one and then i worked without any other config.
There is a doc from PINE64 about USB networking for the PineTab2.  AFAICT it's only avaliable in PDF form.  You can search for it in your favorite search engine (I'd prefer not to link as I don't like to post PDF links).
So I created a new wired Ethernet connection, plug in my phone, turn hotspot on, turn usb tethering on, and the PT2 says that it's connected to the new network, but if I try a webpage in Angelfish, usb tethering goes off in my phone settings. Any tips?