No WiFi or Ethernet on vanilla PineTab 2 from the factory?
I've got a brand new PineTab2 that arrived in the mail today. I've done nothing but:
- Create a new admin account
- Delete the default admin account
- Change plasma theme to breeze dark

I can't figure out how to connect to either wifi or ethernet. No networks found even with a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. I've tried manually creating a wifi connection, typing in my network name and password, and it's not showing up in the available connections.

[Image: xFvSyhE.jpg]

ifconfig only shows lo
iwconfig command not found
(06-05-2023, 09:25 PM)SmittyWerbenyegermanjenson Wrote: I can't figure out how to connect to either wifi or ethernet. No networks found even with a USB-C to Ethernet adapter. I've tried manually creating a wifi connection, typing in my network name and password, and it's not showing up in the available connections.

I think you're on the right track: configuring connections in the Network tool. The next question is whether the kernel can see your network device.

I found this guide super-helpful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Network...n/Wireless

Basically, I identified the chipset on my (ancient!) USB dongle. It turned out that while it is supported, some some of the driver files were missing. So I downloaded the driver package for my chipset from archlinux, copied the files onto a microSD card, shoved the card into the PineTAB, and placed the files in the specified directory. Upon reboot, wifi connected automatically!
Based on the information provided by Pine64 the Wifi is at this point not working, because there are no stable drivers.
What I did was using my mobile phone (USB tethering) and have it plugged in to the USB C port next to the volume button. With that I can use the internet.
(06-06-2023, 08:09 AM)Tinkerer Wrote: Based on the information provided by Pine64 the Wifi is at this point not working, because there are no stable drivers.
What I did was using my mobile phone (USB tethering) and have it plugged in to the USB C port next to the volume button. With that I can use the internet.

Wow, that's very cool. I just plugged in my iPhone (lightning cable to USBA/USBC adapter) into that same middle port. It asked me if I trusted the computer and then demanded my PIN. After that, a "Wired Internet connection" appeared on the #pinetab2 as if by magic! No additional software/drivers required on either device.
My iPhone didn't perform as well. It wasn't recognized at all.

Does anyone know the manufacturer/model# of the rtl/bt chip being used? The website is vague.
I'd like to try and get some drivers working myself.
I got my PineTab2 onto the internet using an old Cisco wireless dongle, and a USB female A to male C adapter, plugged into the upper (non-power) USB port.  If you have any old linux-compatible USB wireless hardware kicking aorund, give it a try.

Once I plugged it in. the list shown in the picture above (which read "No Available Connections") was populated with the list of access points in my area, at which point I used the same settings to connect to my wireless routine as I do on my laptop (whuch also uses KDE Plasma).

Good luck!

Posted from my PineTab2.
(06-06-2023, 12:59 PM)RocketGod Wrote: My iPhone didn't perform as well. It wasn't recognized at all.

Does anyone know the manufacturer/model# of the rtl/bt chip being used? The website is vague.
I'd like to try and get some drivers working myself.

BES2600, see the wiki https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PineTab2#Known_Issues

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab 2 just arrived + when can hope to se wifi driver LRP 15 7,780 02-28-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
Wink Screen protector for PineTab 2 vatin 0 516 11-18-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: vatin
  PineTab 2 (arm64) thoughts and questions acruhl 7 2,893 09-01-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  PineTab 2 Dead Screen Kramey 16 4,738 08-12-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Kramey
  pinetab 2 not booting ajhiii070 5 1,799 08-07-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: r.aliaskarov
  does the pinetab "just worK"? averageconsumer445 19 4,541 07-15-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinetab2 without Wifi a comfort extra? Schlucker 8 3,106 07-14-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Pinetab-V shipping Status? jfstepha 6 2,373 07-12-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ChromaticHamster
Star Looking for a Pinetab [EU] Glenn 2 2,637 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Louis
  Looking to buy a PineTab Yair22 2 2,517 01-24-2023, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Louis