Does DactNix Arch Linux support my use case?
(05-14-2023, 06:50 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: It is unfortunate that they already stopped producing the original PineTab (and no longer have any in stock either), since it will be a while until the PineTab 2 is ready for prime time.

The one that people have experience with (the original PineTab) is unfortunately no longer being sold.

Ok, I understand.
On this website it says that the PineTab 2 is Pre-Order, Delivery Mid-May. It is Mid-May already. So if I order it now, I should get it soon, right? I live in California.
https://pine64.com/product/pinetab2-10-1...-keyboard/

I just want to know what are other people's experiences with the PineTab 2 and it's pre-installed OS. Have you been able to watch videos on it? How is the user experience?

There are several reasons why I an leaning to be an early adopter of this tablet.
  1. I want to get it for the reasonable (for me) community edition price of $200.
  2. If the cameras, microphone, and wifi aren't implemented yet, that's only a plus for me, as I don't want to have that kind of functionality. I just need it to play videos, and not spying or tracking me wherever I go.
  3. I'm a nerd. If it's a medium difficulty level project, not too hard for me, I could learn something new about Linux.
  4. I need one for the summer, on a short time frame. I can't wait for several months. I need it within a month at most.

If I buy the tablet now, the hardware is completed correct? It's only the software that's in development? And if they release an updated version of the OS, I can always replace the current pre-installed version with the new version, is that right? I mean in the case that videos aren't implemented yet, or wouldn't work as I want them to.

Does anyone have experience compiling open source software from Github onto Arch Linux OS? I wonder if it comes with all the compiler tools?

(05-14-2023, 07:18 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: It's Arch.  Arch is a very divisive thing.  You either absolutely hate it, or you claim to absolutely love it.  Arch is not Ubuntu.

I would expect it can run 'mplayer'.  But you're likely to find the PineTab underpowered if you're used to typical modern x86 systems.

Ok so here I found the SMPlayer: Media Player++ which is based on the MPlayer media engine. Do you think that it is runnable?
https://itsfoss.com/smplayer/
It has all the features that I expect from a video player, such as a slider for arbitrary jumping around the video. If I don't understand something in a lecture I want to rewatch that part only. I don't want to go through the entire video again.

It looks like there's an Arch package for the SMPlayer.
https://software.opensuse.org/download.h...tsfoss.com
The binary package is called smplayer-21.8.-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
Would it be runnable on an ARM system though?

Or they reccomend using pacman. Can I curl the file onto my PC, then transfer it onto the tablet using USB, and then run the pacman command to install it locally on the ARM tablet DactNix Arch Linux, using the tablet's integrated terminal?
How would you reccomend me to install this software?
Can I use this link for aarch64?
https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/smplayer
As @fxc seems to suggest, I agree that PineTab2 probably isn't ready for most of us who are already using these cutting-edge (*not performance-wise*) products. Therefore, I really think you're going to have a very unpleasant experience with it. (We've seen a considerable number of people here give up and throw their new devices in the trash.)

Have you considered the Pinebook Pro? It might be much better suited to you at this point.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(05-14-2023, 07:35 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: As @fxc seems to suggest, I agree that PineTab2 probably isn't ready for most of us who are already using these cutting-edge (*not performance-wise*) products.  Therefore, I really think you're going to have a very unpleasant experience with it.  (We've seen a considerable number of people here give up and throw their new devices in the trash.)

What kinds of issues these people were having? Hardware issues or software? Like unable to install the OS, unable to install applications onto the OS, applications crashing during running, OS crashing or blue screens?

(05-14-2023, 07:35 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Have you considered the Pinebook Pro?  It might be much better suited to you at this point.

I am looking for a tablet, not a full featured computer.
I don't think I can adequately summarize the incidents. I think the best way to see what It's like is to browse the forums here. Using Ubuntu on a Wintel machine versus doing anything with a Pine64 device is like buying a new car with a full-service warranty versus buying a foreign kit car and having to build and service it yourself.

The biggest difference between the PineTab2 and the Pinebook Pro is that the keyboard is detachable, and only the Pinetab has a touchscreen. That's it. Even the PinePhone is a full featured computer (that's the beauty of it).

[ SRA accepts you ]
(05-14-2023, 06:39 PM)BlueGalaxy Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 04:01 PM)diederik Wrote:
(05-14-2023, 03:29 PM)fxc Wrote: Video decoding is probably not working very well and not in all applications (https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Quartz64_De...ing_Status).

For both VLC and MPV it would only use CPU based decoding. Both use ffmpeg and VLC hasn't even transitioned to ffmpeg 5 and from that Upstreaming Status page you can see that there's not much progress wrt Hardware based decoding ... for 2.5 years now.

I see on that page it says
Video Decode  GStreamer only, no ffmpeg [7]

So if both VLC and MPV use ffmpeg, then they won't work?

They won't use hardware acceleration, hence my earlier remark that the CPU would have to do all the work.

Quote:Also on that same page it says

Current Status
Working

What that table (mostly) talks about is whether there is support for it in the kernel.

But for some, like video, you also need to have support in 'userland'.
The userland ffmpeg tools do NOT take advantage of the hardware acceleration features available in the kernel.
But apparently gstreamer does, but I have (almost) no experience with it.

Quote:I am interested in the Video Encode, Video Decode, and Audio sections.
Can you explain what these terms are, what does this mean?

I didn't post it earlier as @fxc already said it, but if it helps I can '+1' their statement:
this device is (currently) not for you.

That applies for everyone who would need to look up those terms.

Quote:My tablet doesn't need WiFi, Bluetooth, or working cameras. In fact, I consider that a plus. Because I want to use my tablet as just a screen that I can carry around. I don't want it to have any wireless connectivity capabilities, I don't want it to connect with the cloud, and I don't want it be spying on me.

These are not Android devices where you get spying-all-the-time 'for free'.
(Actual) Linux programs (and their developers) tend to be quite pro privacy, so your presumption is incorrect.
Troll aside, If you are fixated on buying a Pine product, I would also suggest the Pinebook Pro, instead of the PineTab2, but only if you are familiar with arm software; it can play videos with vlc & other players (the default speakers are a bit tinny, headphones work great), it’s lightweight and you can disable the camera & microphone (so no one spy on you, as per your requirement).

(On this website it says that the PineTab 2 is Pre-Order, Delivery Mid-May. It is Mid-May already. So if I order it now, I should get it soon, right? I live in California. )

Not at all, several problems can occur during production and there are also shipping times and customs to deal with. With that said, I’d rather have the production issues worked out, than a rushed and poorly constructed product; I’ll be happy if I get it by July.

I agree with the others and would really not recommend it for you.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(05-15-2023, 09:32 AM)dachalife Wrote: If you are fixated on buying a Pine product, I would also suggest the Pinebook Pro, instead of the PineTab2, but only if you are familiar with arm software; it can play videos with vlc & other players (the default speakers are a bit tinny, headphones work great), it’s lightweight and you can disable the camera & microphone (so no one spy on you, as per your requirement).

(05-15-2023, 05:27 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: The biggest difference between the PineTab2 and the Pinebook Pro is that the keyboard is detachable, and only the Pinetab has a touchscreen.  That's it.  Even the PinePhone is a full featured computer (that's the beauty of it).

(05-15-2023, 05:27 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Using Ubuntu on a Wintel machine versus doing anything with a Pine64 device is like buying a new car with a full-service warranty versus buying a foreign kit car and having to build and service it yourself.

Thank you gentlemen for the advice. The reason why I want to buy the PineTab2 instead of the Pinebook Pro is because I need a touchscreen. I will be carrying only the screen around with me, no keyboard or mouse. I want to view lectures on the bus, so I need the touchscreen to open a video and jump to arbitrary positions in that video.

What is the difference between the PineTab2 instead of the Pinebook Pro? Are they running the same OS? Any software that works on the Pinebook Pro should be able to work on the PineTab2, is that correct?

What is a Wintel machine? Do Wintel company produce tablets with Linux on them? Are there manufacturers other than Pine64 for tablets with Linux OS? If I am running Ubuntu on a Wintel tablet, can I uninstall or deactivate the drivers for camera, microphone, and wifi/bluetooth connections?

How quickly do Wintel company ship their tablets? If I order a tablet from them, can I expect to receive the device in one to two weeks?
Nobody really knows yet what software will run on the PineTab2. The Pinebook Pro must likely runs more software than the PineTab2 for a while. The Pinebook Pro does have a functional touchpad. You wouldn't need a mouse.

Wintel is jargon for the successor systems to the Taiwanese IBM-AT clones, computers with Intel processors that nominally run Microsoft Windows. In other words, what most people just refer to as "desktops".

There are certainly other tablets that can run Linux, as @fxc wrote earlier. I don't know what they are. I believe there are some LG tablets that will, but I don't really know. If you are running GNU/Linux, be it Ubuntu or otherwise; you ultimately should have complete control over everything the system does. The exception is if the modem runs clandestine software that accesses the camera and/or microphone. You would have to research that. Or, just physically disable the camera, microphone, and modem; it's not hard to do.

Incidentally if you find out that a 7" LG Gpad would suit your needs, let me know. I have one that I just installeda new battery in, but the modem is deader than dead, and the microphone and cameras would be very easy for me to remove. I know it is good for playing movies. But I have it for purposes that require the now dead modem.

[ SRA accepts you ]
The Intel tablets are going to be more expensive than ARM ones though, around $400.
Or you can go for a smaller one: 10.3" with Intel Celeron and you have it all with x86_64 for 280$

I successfully installed Ubuntu 22.04 on it and two of them runs in production.

Here a link, please pay attention to the model with 3i in it's name and do not order a Chromebook!!! https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B09B9TC5H9...th=1&psc=1

My concern is the screen which is a bit small for us so I decided to order the 5i version with 13" diagonal but the Camera is driven totally different. Namely MIPI CSI-2 instead of IPU3 which is the only bus connection supported by libcamera ATTW unfortunately.

Hope that this gives you another field to look in

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch Linux (danctnix) virtual keyboard layout change cudo 0 598 09-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: cudo
  Arch Linux ARM on PineTab 1 Danct12 25 29,162 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland peperjohnny 49 59,089 06-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: peperjohnny
  Arch and ZRam wd5gnr 4 8,295 12-03-2020, 04:37 AM
Last Post: tomoqv
  Got Vivaldi Working on Arch! wd5gnr 3 6,348 11-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: hanscees
  Any way to disable wake on power connect/full charge? (Arch) quipacorn 3 5,477 10-14-2020, 10:00 AM
Last Post: quipacorn