Thinking about purchasing product need more information
So I Used to be really into Linux, Programming, Networking and basically anything to do with computers especially when I was trying to go to school for a degree in Computer Networking. Well long story short I ended up having to quit school but I at least was able to get a certificate so it wasn't all a waste and then I ended up having to go to work full time and it seemed like my interest and my hobby in computers fell to the wayside which I feel is a shame since I really enjoyed programming computers and being able to do things on Linux and even share Linux with others as a free alternative to windows that was better and didn't have all the bull crap involved.

Right now I got a part time job at the community college and just got a certificate in Electrical Technology and am extremely close to getting my associates degree. After I finish my associates degree I plan on taking the core programming classes and getting a certificate and associates degree in this since all my general education is already going to be done it will only take me 7 classes. 

The one cool thing with my Electrical Technology certificate is I was able to get into Electronics and I plan to continue taking classes in this  aswell. We learned to solder stuff and I did have a raspberry pi I was able to start being able to do stuff with it till I ended up frying it and haven't replaced it yet but that is a whole different story. 

My question to you is will this laptop allow me to run basic networking tests, collect packets, and perhaps even be able to do a little bit of programming in C. Also will I be able to install different Linux operating system and play around with this stuff? I am kind of hoping that this is kind of a buffed up version of a rasberry pi, I would buy a system 76 however it is just out of my price range at the time. Is this a good starter laptop for linux for a poor college student who wants to learn about computers, networking, linux, and programming in C? Should I but the PRO version aswell or will the regular laptop suffice for the little projects that I want to do? I really would like to install slackware and ubuntu and perhaps FREEBSD just to mess around, I would also like to analyze packets using wireshark or whatever newer program they are using, I also would like to create some programs in C and C++ and perhaps perl... Is this going to be possible. I also would like to be able to browse the internet for information and be able to read articles and books on it pertaining to computers and computer networking. 

This laptop will not be used for anything fun IE videos, games, etc so that is not going to be a problem, it is strictly a hobby/project computer which I hope to use to learn and get better at computers again.
The only real problem with it for the purposes you stated is school imo. My experience is that you'll need to submit work for any programming classes as Visual Studio projects. So if that's the case a cheap used amd64 laptop that you can dual boot windows and linux would serve you far better.
If you don't need to use it for school, I would say it is ideal. You'll have to get a Pinebook Pro, unless you can finda used original Pinebook for sale. Those are no longer being produced (at the moment).
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Actually Visual basic is only one of the classses, the otehr programming classes I have to take are C, Java, C++ and Assembly. I have a windows laptop already for the bisual basic class. Also I will be taking introduction to Linux, and introduction to Linux Networking. Do you think this laptop will be good for those. In all reality though I want to get back into my hobby as computers. I want to learn networking security, programming, and how to use Linux as an advanced user eventually. I plan on getting a System 76 mini once I have enough money but I would like to get a Pinebook Pro in the mean time to be able to get started on my adventure at becoming good at Linux Administrative, Networking, and Programming do you think this is something that could help me out with this?
Yes. I'm not a Linux guy, I use NetBSD on my PBPs. But it runs Linux perfectly well and will do better at sharpening your skills than an X86 machine because you really have to dig your self out of holes you dig or fall in to.

Your only hurdle will be assembly, but you can run an emulator for that (I would anyway).
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
For your question: Yes.

It’s a great little lightweight device for what you’re describing; I’ve been using mine daily for work at school with Kali since I received it; I ditched the default installation of Manjaro less than an hour after I had it; I don’t know why Manjaro? But that’s a different discussion...

Setup & customization will be the most time consuming part, as there can be problems if you make a mistake; There are lots of complete guides online to help you though. Please follow an official guide, as a lot of people just watch a YouTube video and make a typo/other mistake/copy random commands from some website (without understanding them) and then wonder why their machine won’t boot.

If you take the time to set it up correctly, it will do fine.

On the downside, compiling software does take awhile, as it has older, well established hardware components (Great from a driver point of view, not for performance) & on some older school networks, you will be unable to connect to their WiFi (Cisco WAP 150) unless the school has the current firmware installed on them (1.1.4.0/07-Jun-2022).

If you decided to purchase a PBP, a powered USB dock would be a good addition for external drives, as the PBP itself does not have enough power for say a 2 TB external drive/external DVD drive/burner. I’d also recommend a USB/wireless mouse (the keyboard itself is great).

Bluetooth & WiFi are working well (in Kali); I use mine with a mobile hot-spot & blue-tooth earbuds. 

I am completely satisfied with with my Pine products, would recommend them and am waiting for my PineTab 2 delivery :-)

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Edit: forgot to mention that you can add other WiFi cards with external antennas for more scanning options.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(05-02-2023, 05:34 AM)korreckj328 Wrote: My experience is that you'll need to submit work for any programming classes as Visual Studio projects.
That very much depends on the individual university/college/school.
(05-04-2023, 09:04 AM)Kevin Kofler Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 05:34 AM)korreckj328 Wrote: My experience is that you'll need to submit work for any programming classes as Visual Studio projects.
That very much depends on the individual university/college/school.

Very much so,  but that experience exists, so if you need something for school it's wise to double check what they're going to have you use.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motherboard layout information Perl6_user 2 1,706 07-02-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Perl6_user
Question Purchasing Limits on the Pinebook Pro TechDragon 5 5,035 04-21-2020, 11:23 PM
Last Post: mvdw
  Pinebook pro (and other product) pre-order and sales stats? fentavius 11 13,803 10-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Last Post: onebigbiker