Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken
hullo, I try to flash a fresh OS to my PinePhone's eMMC via jumpdrive, I flash from e Mac with Etcher, the Pinephone looks ok, but zero success wiht Manjaro Plasma Mobile (stays black), little success with Manjaro Gnome Mobile (stuck at manjaro splash screen). Is it possible the eMMC is damaged, or did I screw up somenthing with Jumpdrive? Manjaro Plasmal Mobile from card starts up normal.
(04-19-2023, 04:19 AM)Uturn Wrote: hullo, I try to flash a fresh OS to my PinePhone's eMMC via jumpdrive, I flash from e Mac with Etcher, the Pinephone looks ok, but zero success wiht Manjaro Plasma Mobile (stays black), little success with Manjaro Gnome Mobile (stuck at manjaro splash screen). Is it possible the eMMC is damaged, or did I screw up somenthing with Jumpdrive? Manjaro Plasmal Mobile from card starts up normal.

before going on some deeper things. i recommend command "sync" after flashing, whatever is the flash command. more experienced users usually use command "dd". "sync" guarantees that writing buffers are written to the disk. some cases "dd" or other program does it afterwards by itself, but not in all cases.

i also noticed a weird bug in a host system, that it sees sizes of pinephone memories wrong, of course flashing fails. reboot helps, but reinserting cards or cable do not. "lsblk" helps.
(04-19-2023, 05:06 AM)zetabeta Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 04:19 AM)Uturn Wrote: hullo, I try to flash a fresh OS to my PinePhone's eMMC via jumpdrive, I flash from e Mac with Etcher, the Pinephone looks ok, but zero success wiht Manjaro Plasma Mobile (stays black), little success with Manjaro Gnome Mobile (stuck at manjaro splash screen). Is it possible the eMMC is damaged, or did I screw up somenthing with Jumpdrive? Manjaro Plasmal Mobile from card starts up normal.

before going on some deeper things. i recommend command "sync" after flashing, whatever is the flash command. more experienced users usually use command "dd". "sync" guarantees that writing buffers are written to the disk. some cases "dd" or other program does it afterwards by itself, but not in all cases.

i also noticed a weird bug in a host system, that it sees sizes of pinephone memories wrong, of course flashing fails. reboot helps, but reinserting cards or cable do not. "lsblk" helps.

thank you. Problem is I can't boot from eMMc, I can only boot from SDcard and sync on that system. Whatever I install on eMMc it does not seem to boot.
No, sync is performed at the time of the image writing process - the last stage there. Definitely before the first boot.
Be extra careful to follow the procedure: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_I...o_the_eMMC
My experience with Manjaro PlaMo: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15300
(04-20-2023, 12:55 AM)Uturn Wrote:

thank you. Problem is I can't boot from eMMc, I can only boot from SDcard and sync on that system. Whatever I install on eMMc it does not seem to boot.

seems that you use windows, if yes, then "safe remove" is recommended. "sync" in this case is intended only for linux as a host for mass memories like usb memory.

if you can boot sdcard, you could test internal memory from booted sdcard. but giving accurate commands is problematic.

however, some distribution require tow-boot, but if you can boot sdcard, this is not an issue.
(04-20-2023, 08:35 AM)zetabeta Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 12:55 AM)Uturn Wrote:

seems that you use windows, if yes, then "safe remove" is recommended. "sync" in this case is intended only for linux as a host for mass memories like usb memory.

if you can boot sdcard, you could test internal memory from booted sdcard. but giving accurate commands is problematic.

however, some distribution require tow-boot, but if you can boot sdcard, this is not an issue.
no, I am a mac user. I re flashed then card with jumpdrive on it and now it seems to work. Strange because a while ago it worked too. Maybe this jumpdrive is not very stable?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 171 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  trouble flashing eMMC TylerBlackberry 3 1,124 04-13-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  This is how you flash to eMMC easily Luke 49 79,250 12-25-2022, 05:13 PM
  UI crashes after unplugging USB device, seen on multiple OSes; is my hardware broken? slondr 1 902 11-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: slondr
  emmc formatted by mistake (it no longer appears) elode 5 3,036 07-12-2022, 04:33 AM
Last Post: elode
  JumpDrive isn't working phytocube 2 1,684 06-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: phytocube
  My Pine doesn't allow me to install to eMMC on different OS's Kimberley van Buyten 1 1,297 05-31-2022, 04:26 PM
  no emmc after flash ragele 3 2,122 05-30-2022, 04:26 AM
  Jumpdrive not booting Kimberley van Buyten 1 992 05-28-2022, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Kimberley van Buyten