USB hard drive
Hi,
I see that my hard drive won't even turn on from the pine's USB port.
I know Raspberry PI has a max current setting that can be set on config.txt (max_usb_current=1)

Is there any equivalent setting on the Pine64?
I know I can use a powered USB hub (or cable), but that's very cumbersome comparing to a config change.

Thanks!
hi, make sure the 5v|batt jumper is in place or the 5v rail on the USB will not get power...

... but yes, the usb drives may draw more than the power available on the PineA64...

which usb drive do you have ?

marcus
(07-21-2016, 01:41 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, make sure the 5v|batt jumper is in place or the 5v rail on the USB will not get power...

... but yes, the usb drives may draw more than the power available on the PineA64...

marcus

I'm using the super popular WD passport, which works with my Raspberry PI.

Can you be more specific re/ the jumper? Where is it and how exactly it should be placed? What is the default (if there is a default)?
If it's not too much to ask - can you upload a picture that will illustrate that?

Thanks a lot!!
(07-21-2016, 02:14 AM)piner64 Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 01:41 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: hi, make sure the 5v|batt jumper is in place or the 5v rail on the USB will not get power...

marcus

I'm using the super popular WD passport, which works with my Raspberry PI.

Can you be more specific re/ the jumper? Where is it and how exactly it should be placed? What is the default (if there is a default)?
If it's not too much to ask - can you upload a picture that will illustrate that?

Thanks a lot!!

Look at your board with the euler bus down, and the pi bus up... the jumper is just to the left of the pine cone logo (just to the left of the SD card slot) and is very easy to see).  Not all boards have the jumper !

For some reason some boards have the jumper pins, but no jumper, and therefore no 5v on the usb.

Also, some people remove the jumper and kill their usb...

marcus

PS The WD Passport should work fine with the PineA64 !
My WD Passport Ultra (can't remember if it's 2 or 3TB) won't work with the Pine. Overdraws power and shuts the Pine down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Board: Pine A64+ 2GB board.
MicroSD: Samsung Evo/+ 32/64GB
(07-21-2016, 09:08 AM)SkimMilk Wrote: My WD Passport Ultra (can't remember if it's 2 or 3TB) won't work with the Pine. Overdraws power and shuts the Pine down.

Your WD passport drive drawn too much power from the Pine A64 board and cause the board self protect and shut down. The WD labs selling a special cable that resolve your issue, here i s the link: http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/Di...d.70262300
(07-21-2016, 01:38 PM)tllim Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 09:08 AM)SkimMilk Wrote: My WD Passport Ultra (can't remember if it's 2 or 3TB) won't work with the Pine. Overdraws power and shuts the Pine down.

Your WD passport drive drawn too much power from the Pine A64 board and cause the board self protect and shut down. The WD labs selling a special cable that resolve your issue, here i s the link: http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/Di...d.70262300

In the mean time, a powered usb hub may work well to provide the WD with primary power rather than the PineA64.

marcushh777
(07-21-2016, 10:44 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

In the mean time, a powered usb hub may work well to provide the WD with primary power rather than the PineA64.

marcushh777

@tllim: thanks for pointing out that there's the WD Pi cable.
@marcushh777: thanks for the info!

I'm actually still considering whether I should
1 - get this + a USB3 Y cable or
2 - just get a powered USB2 hub.

Scenario 1 --> 1 power source for both the Pine and any external USB devices that require power (costs more since there's the consideration of getting a USB3 Y cable). Do note that the "hub" I linked is only for power. I don't see anywhere for data connection.

Scenario 2 --> 2 power sources, 1 to power the Pine, and 1 for USB hub. I doubt there are any usb2 hubs that can power the Pine and additional USB devices reliably?

Undecided cos I still don't know where I'll leave the Pine and also, I just avoid using an external hdd.  Big Grin
(07-21-2016, 11:57 PM)SkimMilk Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 10:44 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

marcushh777

@tllim: thanks for pointing out that there's the WD Pi cable.
@marcushh777: thanks for the info!

I'm actually still considering whether I should
1 - get this + a USB3 Y cable or
2 - just get a powered USB2 hub.

Scenario 1 --> 1 power source for both the Pine and any external USB devices that require power (costs more since there's the consideration of getting a USB3 Y cable). Do note that the "hub" I linked is only for power. I don't see anywhere for data connection.

Scenario 2 --> 2 power sources, 1 to power the Pine, and 1 for USB hub. I doubt there are any usb2 hubs that can power the Pine and additional USB devices reliably?

Undecided cos I still don't know where I'll leave the Pine and also, I just avoid using an external hdd.  Big Grin

I'm using Scenario 1: One 5V 4A PSU found at Aliexpress for less than 5€ and a USB HUB with input for external 5V supply (the included 5V supply is not used for the HUB) This power supply supply the Pine (connect to the Eula bus / connector) and the USB hub and thereby the USB HD and it works!
Piner, check out this thread, it discussed the same issue.
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=783

I am using the 2TB WD Passport myself, and it kept shutting down the board.  I ended up buying a powered hub, based on the discussion in that thread.  Just made it a lot easier, and have had zero problems since.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA