Robot Operating System (ROS)
Hello

I just purchased the Pine64. I am looking forward with playing with it.

Has anyone successfully loaded ROS (ros.org) onto the Pine64 and if they did, what operation system did they use? I went to the ROS website, unfortunately there is not much there on the subject unlike RPI3.

I have not yet tried any of the OSs but I am thinking Ubuntu will be the first .

Thanks Jesse  Smile
Read here about the Ross project.

Greetings, 

I would stronly recommend debian mate. Perhaps the debian base image would also be appropriate for some users doing robotics. 

Ross may not be compatible with the superior capabilities of the PineA64; the PineA64 is devleopmental from a gnu+linux standpoint, and is rapidly catching up to the hardware's superior capabilities. Eventually, I have no doubt that the Ross people will adapt their libraries to the PineA64. 

As it is, the PineA64 is a superior platform for developing robotics. The combination of the PI bus and the Euler bus make for an exceptional controller platform for robotics, in fact any systems automation. 

The Ross libraries may not be compatible at this time because the PineA64 SoC (Allwinner) is different from the Raspberry PI SoC (Broadcom). The registers are different, and the device trees are different. No doubt the Ross people have some interest in the PineA64 (it is a superior board in many ways) but whether they have progressed in this direction I don't know; its worth a note to contact them, and maybe even provide a development board /  (that's not my decision , of course)

The error on your part (possibly, not know for sure) is thinking that you need a robotics library to build a robot ! I'm building a robot (work in progress) and I'm doing it all from scratch... my own software and spare parts like stepper motors from printers, and other places. The aruduino, the PI, the pyboard, and the PineA64 are all capable of taking roles in that project... in fact, I'm still playing around with what board is best suited to what job... 

Just dive it. Play with the GPIO on the PineA64 board... if you need some help post here, or feel free to joing us on the irc chat room at   irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl,  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

marcushh777
Here I am. Just logged into forum.pine64.org using Pine 64 1GB Board.  Big Grin The operating system I am using is Ubuntu. Unforunately it is a little buggy although QA did say it was... Happy to be here.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. Yes I see that the ROS libraries are incompatible for this version of Ubuntu but from what I understand the Ubuntu 14.04 works great with the ROS libraries. Would be nice if Pine64 support this version of Ubuntu. Really I would be happy if Pine64 would support any operating system that would be compatible with ROS.

Once I finally decide what OS to use, I wll start playing with GPIO pins. I cannot find any information neither about GPIO and their pins nor information on all the features about the board. 

I have to go play.

Jesse
There seems to be arm64 packages fro Debian Jessie... http://wiki.ros.org/kinetic/Installation/Debian so maybe use one of Lenny's Debian images ...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
Thanks xalius...

I am still learning about Pine64. With that said, I believe that Pine64 is an arm64 SBC and it is not a ROS supported platform. I was hoping that the Pine64 people would have chimed in by now. It is my hope that Pine64 will in the future become a ROS arm64 supported platform.

Jesse  Cool
Jessie, if one of your primary interests is ROS i think you should start looking at other options in boards. while the pine64 seems to do well with the rpi GPIO expansion bus, the I2C expansion board is at the moment being reported as having problems. the bus header is reportedly ok but the expansion board is reportedly not ok. now, pine64 may be able to quickly resolve the board issues but in my opinion if it is not an issue that can be quickly resolved it might be a source of frustration for your ROS project. i'm not saying to immediately jump to another board but to start looking at other options might help. again, this is IF your primary interest is in ROS development. welcome to the forum.
Thanks dkryder

Sorry about the mis-direction on the topic. It is true I am interested in the Robot Operating System (ROS) but in the Newbie and Startup forum while testing and playing with the Pine64+ both the 1GB and the 2GB boards, I am bascally passing conversation while doing so....

I have logged in using the Pine64+ 1GB board with wifi and bluetooth module. Presently using the Debian Jessie OS with the Mate GUI. I have tried Ubuntu system which is a little buggy but functional. With the Debian OS I am having a lot of problems which will be discussed in other places of the forum.

I consider now this topic on ROS now closed.

Jesse
(07-20-2016, 09:14 PM)jesse1234 Wrote: Hello

I just purchased the Pine64. I am looking forward with playing with it.

Has anyone successfully loaded ROS (ros.org) onto the Pine64 and if they did, what operation system did they use? I went to the ROS website, unfortunately there is not much there on the subject unlike RPI3.

I have not yet tried any of the OSs but I am thinking Ubuntu will be the first .

Thanks Jesse  Smile

I have successfully installed ROS Kinetic version on Ubuntu OS on Pine 64.
you might some times have to use  command:
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install

instead of "apt-get install" . you will have to install g++ compiler manually through terminal if cmake didn't work using

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential -y

you might also have to use to fix a package
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
this image boots and as far as i have looked seems to have a ROS build, i have not looked much deeper yet.
https://github.com/eslamnet10/PINE64-_RO...4lts_image

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just received Pinephone - system crashes Zebulon Walton 12 13,417 11-13-2020, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  No top system menu maxchess 3 4,901 06-14-2019, 07:11 AM
Last Post: maxchess
  qemu-system-aarch64 11b2p508 1 3,310 07-19-2018, 10:26 PM
Last Post: shizzle411
  Office System 24/7 donisonleague 2 3,765 07-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Last Post: donisonleague
  Reset system mcrognale 2 4,443 10-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: mcrognale