Total Newbie
Hello all,

I've been admiring Pine stuff for a while, and after reading an article saying that the PineTime is one of the best smart watches for privacy, and then seeing the price, consider me interested.

But the extent of my trying these type of alternative devices/software is having F-Droid on my phone and a VM of Linux Mint on my PC, (which I mainly use for RhythmBox's CD ripping ability.)

So my questions are:

• Is the $30 PineTime workable out of the box?  I.E. can I go though some initial setup and get it going like a new android phone, or does it need far more tinkering?
  • If so, what?  Is there documentation?
  • What are the default apps for it?
  • How difficult is it to add more apps?  Is there an "app store" or does it have to be downloaded from GitHub or something?

Pointing me to the right articles would be great.  Admittedly I didn't dig too deep into the Wiki.

For $30 + tax/S&H/whatever I might try it out anyway, but knowing beforehand would be nice.

Thanks!

Tourma
Okay, I answered some of my questions.  Documenting here in case others are looking.

1. Is the $30 PineTime workable out of the box? I.E. can I go though some initial setup and get it going like a new android phone, or does it need far more tinkering?
A. Yes, it takes more tinkering, but with one of the companion apps to flash (update) the OS.  It doesn't seem to need to dig into Terminal.

2. If so, what?  Is there documentation?
A. The watch's OS site: https://infinitime.io/ has refreshingly clear documentation on what's in the thing and how to use it.  That's where I learned all of this. Also look on their for the companion apps that work with it.  

3.What are the default apps for it?
A. The default apps for the PineTime are: Stopwatch, Alarm, Timer, Steps,Heart rate, Music, Paddle, Two, Metronome, & Navigation

4. How difficult is it to add more apps?  Is there an "app store" or does it have to be downloaded from GitHub or something?
A. From what I can tell, there aren't really any yet (March '23).  There might(?) be some in development, but for now the main priority is getting the core of the project and it's function as best it can be.

So yeah.  Its like most FOSS projects.  No where near the shine of the corp equivalent, but people are trying their best.  It seems functional, and for the price given, that's about all I would ask.

~~~~~~

All that said, anything else you would recommend looking into?