P{inebook Pro not charging
Photo 
Hello all,

My Pinebook Pro said the other day it needed to go on powersupply, so I plugged the jack in. After some 10 minutes the sceen turned grey of the series I was watching (Homicide - life on the streets; highly recommended btw!). Sound lasted for a few more seconds and then everything went down.
On reboot it showed the Manjaro welcome screen asking for a login and then everything just went down again. The battery indicator is at 0%.

The led is actually indicating that there's some voltage coming in when I plug in the adapter that was delivered with the laptop, but apparentely it's not reaching the battery. The bottom of the laptop used to get really warm, but nothing is heating up when plugged in.

So I'm wondering if this is a common problem with a common solution.

Any help much appreciated!

[Image: PinebookProOpenHeartSurgery.jpg]

For whatever reason, when the battery level drops too low, it is necessary to charge with a USB-C charger to recover to the point where the normal charger will work.

Perhaps the photograph is exaggerating it, but it appears to me like your battery may be puffed up. If it is, the battery may not charge, and may not even be safe to charge.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(03-08-2023, 04:49 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: For whatever reason, when the battery level drops too low, it is necessary to charge with a USB-C  charger to recover to the point where the normal charger will work.

Perhaps the photograph is exaggerating it, but it appears to me like your battery may be puffed up.  If it is, the battery may not charge, and may not even be safe to charge.

Thanks for helping out! Just plugged in the USB charger; led is blinking (never seen that before!) and monitoring carefully for any explosions... Big Grin
After a while charging on the USB-C port the blinking stops and the led is continuously on. There's actually some juice in the battery, (so your tip worked!) but Jackplug charging still does not seem to work - even after switching adapters. Led is on, but apparently there's no current running.

Next step is to get me a new jackplug and see if that solves the issue.
If not I guess it's a boardproblem...
All bets are off when the wires are compromised Smile

If you don't get it to work, it might be worthwhile to peruse the schematic. Though if the red LED by the charging port is on, I expect there can only be two possibilities: not enough current supply or too much current draw.

Also, beware, don't charge with both USB-C and the normal charging port at the same time. This is known to cause damage.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Thanks for your swift reply! I already suspected that it was not a good idea to use the normal port and the USB port at the same time. Dodgy
Just found an old 2A adapter to charge on the USB-C port. Seems to work smoothly so there's no shortcircuit of any kind I suppose.
Might replace the jackplug with a USB-C plug to provide 3A and stop wondering what is wrong with the normal charging port.
Hi, did you manage to fix charging port?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,699 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
  Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures Phillip Bell 7 4,358 02-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Pinebook Pro Stopped Charging via USB-C MickTheGeek 4 4,178 08-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Last Post: MickTheGeek
  HArdware issues while charging user18130814200115 2 2,748 05-01-2021, 04:13 AM
Last Post: gabeeg
  PineBookPro does not charging floppy_rofling 0 1,610 02-03-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: floppy_rofling
  Screen flicker with USB-C charging bchenlee609 5 5,710 01-25-2021, 08:48 PM
Last Post: bchenlee609
  USB-C Charging on the PBP? Paulie420 33 34,949 12-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: wrzomar
  Charging via USB-C Port tyha 15 19,749 07-22-2020, 08:15 PM
Last Post: iscmob
  Battery not charging via AC Adapter laissezfarrell 1 3,066 05-30-2020, 06:05 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Charging via USB GloriousCoffee 7 8,520 04-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee