Is my pinephone pro worth resurrecting?
In the beginning of ppp sales, I was very active in trying to get phone going to make it usable (over 125 threads).  I worked diligently on the issues of memory, battery life, sms, mms, OS/desktop software etc. In the course of this my phone got borked due to sim/sd card holder wearing out due to excessive uses.  Wouldn't even make calls any more due to sim card not connecting.  Also, I never received the replacement card holder that I applied for and pinephone promised. I put phone away for 6 months into the "about to be discarded pile".

I noticed recently that there is available a replacement motherboard that says it has a new card holder.  I am seeking advice on whether to try the new MB or just permanently disengage from the pinephone pro effort.  My old plain pinephone at least makes calls and I use that occasionally and runs for a good while.

Assuming that, if I install a new motherboard, the phone will work, where is the system performance at now? Is this the same MB that was originally installed or have some changes been made?  If MB changes were made, what is best OS/desktop software anyone has had success with?

If no changes were made and phone is back to original, am I back to all the problems that people were banging their heads against before or is there now a workable combination of OS and desktop that works well enough so that phone is usable.  If so what are the suggestions as to "current best" software combination?

I was so hoping to get a linux phone working but I am nearly burned out on this effort.

tom kosvic
(02-27-2023, 09:33 AM)tckosvic Wrote: In the beginning of ppp sales, I was very active in trying to get phone going to make it usable (over 125 threads).  I worked diligently on the issues of memory, battery life, sms, mms, OS/desktop software etc. In the course of this my phone got borked due to sim/sd card holder wearing out due to excessive uses.  Wouldn't even make calls any more due to sim card not connecting.  Also, I never received the replacement card holder that I applied for and pinephone promised. I put phone away for 6 months into the "about to be discarded pile".

I noticed recently that there is available a replacement motherboard that says it has a new card holder.  I am seeking advice on whether to try the new MB or just permanently disengage from the pinephone pro effort.  My old plain pinephone at least makes calls and I use that occasionally and runs for a good while.

Assuming that, if I install a new motherboard, the phone will work, where is the system performance at now? Is this the same MB that was originally installed or have some changes been made?  If MB changes were made, what is best OS/desktop software anyone has had success with?

If no changes were made and phone is back to original, am I back to all the problems that people were banging their heads against before or is there now a workable combination of OS and desktop that works well enough so that phone is usable.  If so what are the suggestions as to "current best" software combination?

I was so hoping to get a linux phone working but I am nearly burned out on this effort.

tom kosvic

Don't know.  I really like it though.  We seem to be losing support. for everything.
(02-27-2023, 11:13 AM)iwm Wrote: We seem to be losing support. for everything.
Oh... that sounds not good... Sad
You mean for PinePhone Pro?
Or PinePhone in general?
Support by Pine64?
Or by the oss community (perhaps because of the conflicts between community and Pine64)?
Or both...? Sad
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
All the support has moved to Telegram and Matrix. The community is vey much alive.
(02-27-2023, 09:33 AM)tckosvic Wrote: ...
In the course of this my phone got borked due to sim/sd card holder wearing out due to excessive uses.
tom kosvic

Question to anyone: is it possible to desolder and replace the existing SIM+microSD card socket from the mainboard without damaging the mainboard?

Theoretically it is possible, but maybe not in practice.
(05-27-2023, 05:47 PM)dchang0 Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 09:33 AM)tckosvic Wrote: ...
In the course of this my phone got borked due to sim/sd card holder wearing out due to excessive uses.
tom kosvic

Question to anyone: is it possible to desolder and replace the existing SIM+microSD card socket from the mainboard without damaging the mainboard?

Theoretically it is possible, but maybe not in practice.

The sim card slot can be repaired. I had a pin soldered on by a local repair shop. As I understand it , there are sim card slots from other manufacturers that will fit. Somewhere in these threads there are some suggestions as to which ones will fit.

(02-27-2023, 09:33 AM)tckosvic Wrote: In the beginning of ppp sales, I was very active in trying to get phone going to make it usable (over 125 threads).  I worked diligently on the issues of memory, battery life, sms, mms, OS/desktop software etc. In the course of this my phone got borked due to sim/sd card holder wearing out due to excessive uses.  Wouldn't even make calls any more due to sim card not connecting.  Also, I never received the replacement card holder that I applied for and pinephone promised. I put phone away for 6 months into the "about to be discarded pile".

tom kosvic
Did you ever get the device repaired?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 165 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 490 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 370 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 647 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 713 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,232 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 10,280 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 828 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,412 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,380 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack