N00b - Please help!
I have a newly built RockPro64 that I need to get working, and I have no idea how to do it.

Backstory (Soz - long): I have a 28yr old son with multiple intellectual and physical disabilities. He is entertained by watching YouTube - things like The Wiggles, Thomas the Tank Engine, and music videos of all sorts. This entertainment is his life, and when it stops working he is immediately very stressed and nobody has a good day. Initially he used a PC, and later an iPad, but because he is a very heavy user - this often runs for 16 hours straight, gets covered with food, dropped or knocked off the table etc etc - these were prone to failure.

We got some really good advice to use a RockPro. All we needed was a mouse and monitor. This has been excellent and has been working very hard for 4 or 5 years now. A while back we struggled to get it running properly. Quite possibly it was something else, not the unit, but I realised that we need a spare set up and ready to go, in case ours fails. Unfortunately the guy that helped us before is no longer available. I bought the same items (as per the list that I had from the other one), and assembled it - so far, so good.

I have tried to read How to Write an Image... but seeing I'm not in the industry I just don't understand the language - I'm Googling every other term, and struggling. I got a Micro SD card and writer adaptor and got as far as some text on the monitor at bootup but that was all. A bit frustrating, so I put it away for a few weeks.

Before I try again, is there somebody that is prepared to help me with this please - step by step instructions: Download <link>; Run XYZ; Send screenshot; etc etc. on here, or via eMail, Video Call, or whatever?

I'm an engineer, so not a complete ID10t but needing help please.
(02-01-2023, 10:15 PM)BrettZZR Wrote: I have a newly built RockPro64 that I need to get working, and I have no idea how to do it.

Backstory (Soz - long): I have a 28yr old son with multiple intellectual and physical disabilities. He is entertained by watching YouTube - things like The Wiggles, Thomas the Tank Engine, and music videos of all sorts. This entertainment is his life, and when it stops working he is immediately very stressed and nobody has a good day. Initially he used a PC, and later an iPad, but because he is a very heavy user - this often runs for 16 hours straight, gets covered with food, dropped or knocked off the table etc etc - these were prone to failure.

We got some really good advice to use a RockPro. All we needed was a mouse and monitor. This has been excellent and has been working very hard for 4 or 5 years now. A while back we struggled to get it running properly. Quite possibly it was something else, not the unit, but I realised that we need a spare set up and ready to go, in case ours fails. Unfortunately the guy that helped us before is no longer available. I bought the same items (as per the list that I had from the other one), and assembled it - so far, so good.

I have tried to read How to Write an Image... but seeing I'm not in the industry I just don't understand the language - I'm Googling every other term, and struggling. I got a Micro SD card and writer adaptor and got as far as some text on the monitor at bootup but that was all. A bit frustrating, so I put it away for a few weeks.

Before I try again, is there somebody that is prepared to help me with this please - step by step instructions: Download <link>; Run XYZ; Send screenshot; etc etc. on here, or via eMail, Video Call, or whatever?

I'm an engineer, so not a complete ID10t but needing help please.

Generally speaking the RockPro64 should boot from the microSD card straightforward if a compatible image is flashed, for example using Balena Etcher. The instructions on how to flash the microSD cards aren't written very well and are all from the early times of PINE64, though the documentation situation is slowly improving.

I would suggest you to join the bridged community channel (specifically the RockPro64 channel) to get help the easiest. Best if you also tell the folks there which image you tried and how you flashed it, the backstory details aren't required to get things working: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#C...nd_Support

Images can be found under https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/ROCKPro64_Software_Release