New Phone, Laptop and Tablet based on RK3588
Hello forum,

As you might know, Pine uses 4 rockchip models:

RK3288 (4 slow cores)
RK3399 (2 fast cores + 4 slow cores) 4GB RAM max
RK3566 (4 slow cores) 8GB RAM max
RK3588 (4 fast cores + 4 slow cores) 32GB RAM max

The Pinephone Pro is based on RK3399. The new Pine Tablet announced and under development would use RK3566.

But i am concerned this chip is not powerful enough. For a cool tablet a good single thread performance and good GPU performance is necessary. RK3588 seems to be right chip for that. RK3566 is much less powerful. Also the 3588 is produced on 8nm process node, which is very modern as the latest and greatest is now on 5nm. Not sure what process the other chips are produced on, but i recall they were very old process nodes. RK3588 is the bomb - a super upgrade for those loving libre arm64 hardware. Can boot blobless so privacy-wise this chip is pretty awesome.

So ideally, i would love to see:
- PinePhone Pro 2 or PinePhone Ultra based on RK3588
- PineBook Ultra based on RK3588
- PineTab Ultra based on RK3588.

If you make the product build quality good - use aluminium casing and have good feel quality - then these products could be considered medium/high-end. The RK3399 could be considered low/medium-end i guess. The upgrade will allow for gaming as the RK3588 has great GPU performance. But the drivers are still a WIP for many months i guess? So i am hoping the people behind Pine would consider upgrading to the RK3588 later this year. It would make an excellent laptop and tablet. The phone needs the upgrade less, but it is still a 'killer product' from pine as we have only Librem as competition.

What do you people think?
In the long-term RK3588 and RK3588S would be great in a Pine laptop or smartphone the former has been something forum goers have been asking Pine64 to provide for years ever since the 3588 was just an idea. The drivers for the 88s are based on ancient vulnerability-filled kernels, that driver code does not work in mainline and is not easy to port and does not fully exist yet. It is going to be a year or longer of effort.

PineTab2 with RK3566 will still be pretty good compared with original PineTab.

The kernel and drivers for this CPU are far, far more matured and mainline compared with status of RK3588.
i speakly mostly about phone, laptop or tablet is slightly different issue.

if certain plan is set then organization won't alter that plan in a big manner, unless something serious comes up. practically this means pine org has gone pinephone pro road, and i don't think there's going to be sudden changes. i dont't think that RK3588 is a good idea at the moment, and what is the price anyway. if it costs too much, people won't go for it. pp pro is already pricey.

for the long term, i think there is few issues.

battery:
pinephone practically requires bigger battery. yes, there is tradeoff with size and weight, but less-than-a-day battery life is not good. so maybe little bulkier and bigger rather than slimmer.

keyboard case:
keyboard case is a good idea. however is it better that keyboard and phone are bundled into horizontal foldable shell, in a way that phone thinks that screen is horizontal and also unified battery. something similat to asus phone with accesories in picture.

[Image: dual-screen-dock-100759991-orig.jpg]

modem chip:
i have a feeling that eg25-g chip with cat 4 (150Mbit/s) starting to be little basic stuff. if specs are increased, i think there needs to be serious consideration to increase modem chip specs, even nr5g capable.
> What do you people think?

If the RK3588 chips drivers are too buggy, why stick with Rockchip? Aren't there other ARM chip makers that will sell to Pine?
(06-27-2023, 09:19 AM)tantamount Wrote: > What do you people think?

If the RK3588 chips drivers are too buggy, why stick with Rockchip? Aren't there other ARM chip makers that will sell to Pine?

Are there any as mature and capable as the rockchips? 2 years ago the answer was "no", I'm not sure if there's been any development since.
(01-29-2023, 09:45 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i speakly mostly about phone, laptop or tablet is slightly different issue.

if certain plan is set then organization won't alter that plan in a big manner, unless something serious comes up. practically this means pine org has gone pinephone pro road, and i don't think there's going to be sudden changes. i dont't think that RK3588 is a good idea at the moment, and what is the price anyway. if it costs too much, people won't go for it. pp pro is already pricey.

for the long term, i think there is few issues.

battery:
pinephone practically requires bigger battery. yes, there is tradeoff with size and weight, but less-than-a-day battery life is not good. so maybe little bulkier and bigger rather than slimmer.

keyboard case:
keyboard case is a good idea. however is it better that keyboard and phone are bundled into horizontal foldable shell, in a way that phone thinks that screen is horizontal and also unified battery. something similat to asus phone with accesories in picture.

[Image: dual-screen-dock-100759991-orig.jpg]

modem chip:
i have a feeling that eg25-g chip with cat 4 (150Mbit/s) starting to be little basic stuff. if specs are increased, i think there needs to be serious consideration to increase modem chip specs, even nr5g capable.

I was wondering whether the tablet could be plugged in and made to look like a writing tablet. The rules, or something similar, could provide a solution to this problem. Thanks for give.
Some packages are being withheld because their mandatory update would cause the loss of many crucial phosh system packagesmini crossword.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine vacuum cleaner and door phone norayr 3 398 01-16-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: hanajijang
  Pinebook Pro with RK3588? tantamount 28 5,629 07-13-2023, 04:06 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,656 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than normal to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,291 07-12-2022, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Weatherburn
  Linux desktop on a Snapdragon 870 phone. Vasant 0 1,206 06-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Vasant
  Pine64 3D printer based on Positron V3? poVoq 0 1,198 05-21-2022, 11:50 AM
Last Post: poVoq
Lightbulb Product Idea: Pine Graphics Tablet israel 10 8,104 04-19-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Houstand345
  Could an arm based pine 64 smaller than expected to go with the pinebook zanewiller 1 1,419 04-16-2022, 07:17 AM
Last Post: jiyong
  Linux support for RK3588 adiboc 0 3,293 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: adiboc
  Keyboard backlight and logo on laptop cover!? ohuw67 8 6,374 01-11-2022, 02:23 PM
Last Post: brandonmane