pinephone keyboard + dock question
Hi!

i've recently gotten the pinephone keyboard

now i also have the dock that came with the pinephone.

The manual of the pinephone keyboard states to NOT charge through the pinephone usb port and only through  the keyboards usb charging port.

to use the dock you need to use the pinephone's usb and connect the charger to the dock. Which to me would be charging through the pinephone.
Which the manual warns against.

can you use the dock + the pinephone keyboard together or is this impossible?
(01-24-2023, 11:48 AM)tuxcall Wrote: Hi!

The manual of the pinephone keyboard states to NOT charge through the pinephone usb port and only through  the keyboards usb charging port.

to use the dock you need to use the pinephone's usb and connect the charger to the dock. Which to me would be charging through the pinephone.

I think you should charge through the keyboard's usb-c port and connect your dock in Pinephone's usb-c port to connect your peripheral devices.

In keyboard's manual it's written that:

Quote:You should charge the PinePhone and the keyboard only using the USB-C port on the keyboard. The keyboard’s USB-C port cannot be used for peripherals. The PinePhone’s USB-C port remains operational when mounted in the keyboard and can be used for data and peripherals.
(01-25-2023, 04:49 PM)emsyr Wrote:

I think you should charge through the keyboard's usb-c port and connect your dock in Pinephone's usb-c port to connect your peripheral devices.

Quote:You should charge the PinePhone and the keyboard only using the USB-C port on the keyboard. The keyboard’s USB-C port cannot be used for peripherals. The PinePhone’s USB-C port remains operational when mounted in the keyboard and can be used for data and peripherals.

I had already tried that (tried it again just now), but that didn't seem to work. no display on the hdmi and UI nor tweaks does not show a connected dock,
i have the suspicion the dock needs direct power to function
From https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_(Pro)_Keyboard
"Warning: Do NOT plug any device into the phone USB-C port while the keyboard is attached. Doing so may result in damage or loss of the keyboard charging functionality. Technical details regarding the issue can be found in this blog post. Please see the safety section."

There was an unforseen interaction between charge controllers IIRC.
(01-26-2023, 12:10 AM)tuxcall Wrote:

I had already tried that (tried it again just now), but that didn't seem to work. no display on the hdmi and UI nor tweaks does not show a connected dock,

Have you tested whether the dock is operational without the keyboard attached and without power supply as well? If it is not functioning, it may be a verification of your suspicion. I have done a quick search on the internet but I'm not finding any info about what you are looking for. You may also experiment with different distros.
(01-27-2023, 01:40 PM)emsyr Wrote:

Have you tested whether the dock is operational without the keyboard attached and without power supply as well? If it is not functioning, it may be a verification of your suspicion. I have done a quick search on the internet but I'm not finding any info about what you are looking for. You may also experiment with different distros.

confirmed:
1) i removed the pinephone from the keyboard
2) i put it back in its old case.
3) added the dock with a hdml to monitor
=> no image
4) added charge cable to dock
=> image

so dock cannot be used with the pinekeyboard
which is kind of a shame, because that would have made a really nice portable laptop
(01-27-2023, 01:40 PM)emsyr Wrote:

There's confusing inconsistency between the 'manual' and
'https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_(Pro)_Keyboard' when it comes to using
peripherals in the pinefon when in the keyboard that needs to be ironed out.

I to have yet to meet success getting the docking bar to work connected to the
pinefon when in the keyboard.  Ethernet doesn't connect nor is a USB dongle
recognized. The docking bar works w/o the charger. It shows up in 'dmesg' when
plugged/unplugged, so it's being recognized. What's keeping it from working??

-wigan-

I have yet to find a way.  The docking bar does not need the charger.  The docking bar in the fon  when in the keyboard registers, but doesn't function.  Connect the ethernet and it shows up as USB0, assign it an IP address and it shows up in 'Settings > Network' as connected, but it's not connected and 'ifconfig' shows all the right signs but 'running'.  Frustrating and inconvenient  to have to take the fon out of the keyboard to use the docking bar.  Has 'anyone' had any luck??
-wigan-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  quick question about mic Ferriah 3 132 03-23-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 521 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 157 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  my pinephone melted norayr 2 410 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 53,732 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,199 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 781 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,599 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,197 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot
  Using optical drives with Pinephone cdforever 2 1,047 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: cdforever