RockPro64 boot questions
Hi

I just got a new rockPro64 (v2.1) for a project I'm working on.

I have experience with Rockchip SBCs but not the rockpro in particular.

My preferred OS for them is Armbian so I downloaded both the CLi and XFCE versions 22.11.1 (Jammy current) from the armbian site.

I first burned the CLI img to a known-good 32GB micro sd card with Etcher.

This would boot u-boot when the SD card was enabled but would fail to go further.

If I had the emmc installed (uninitialized) it would complain about that and then start a PXE boot loop.

If I remove or bypass the emmc, it complains there is no partition found on MMC 1 (It is looking for MMC1:1)

Looking at the SD card there is one Linux partition and that's it.

I then burned a Debian image and was able to boot up the installer, but because Debian lacks support for the Wifi module, I couldn't get very far since I don't have Ethernet in my workshop yet.

I then tried the XFCE Armbian image and has the exact same issue as the CLI image.

Usually when working with SBCs I've noticed there are 2 partitions on the SDcard, DOS and Linux, is Armbian different?

Is there another recommended Linux image that supports the Wifi module?

Thanks!

(Edit: Just for grins I tried an edge community build of armbian and same exact thing even though the uboot was 2 months newer)

(Edit 2: breaking out of u-boot and running "mmc part" returns "Unknown partition table type 0")

(Edit 3: I checked and the Debian image is also MBR but with a single FAT32L partition showing probably because it's the installer only?
I also tried the latest auyufan which is a GPT instead of MBR and it booted just fine but lacked the firmware for the wireless device when it tried to load the module, so far this issue seems exclusive to Armbian images, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who had had success with them)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-12-2023, 12:41 PM)misterc Wrote: ...

If I remove or bypass the emmc, it complains there is no partition found on MMC 1 (It is looking for MMC1:1)

I then tried the XFCE Armbian image and has the exact same issue as the CLI image.

Something is not right! I do not use Armbian so have no suggestions but seems to me there is a problem with those images. I sort of remember having a similar problem a year or more back ...

I use a PineBook Pro Arch image and just tweak it for the RockPro64 - basically same CPU and just use the RockPro64 devicetree. I would guess that has some wifi support (for the Pinebook - you may need to tweak things?)

My notes to get booted (I start with a Ayufan SDcard but a MrFixit will probably do):
Code:
Boot anything off Sdcard, then build eMMC as follows:
https://github.com/SvenKiljan/archlinuxarm-pbp/blob/main/INSTALL.md

edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and swap dtb for rockpro64-v2.dtb

After first boot

Login as root/root

etc...
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(01-12-2023, 02:26 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:

Something is not right! I do not use Armbian so have no suggestions but seems to me there is a problem with those images. I sort of remember having a similar problem a year or more back ...

I use a PineBook Pro Arch image and just tweak it for the RockPro64 - basically same CPU and just use the RockPro64 devicetree. I would guess that has some wifi support (for the Pinebook - you may need to tweak things?)

My notes to get booted (I start with a Ayufan SDcard but a MrFixit will probably do):
Code:
Boot anything off Sdcard, then build eMMC as follows:
https://github.com/SvenKiljan/archlinuxarm-pbp/blob/main/INSTALL.md

edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and swap dtb for rockpro64-v2.dtb

After first boot

Login as root/root

etc...

Thanks, I'll check this out.
Turns out it was an issue with the SD card? The same card can boot Armbian on my DevTerm A06 (also rk3399) but not RockPro64.

Different SD card works just fine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) RockPro64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 1 342 03-25-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: mara
  yocto for RockPro64 Fide 1 647 01-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Fide
  Boot/Shutdown on timer captainmorgan 8 5,836 11-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Nikolay_Po
  Installing Ubuntu Server on RockPro64 deutschlmao 2 2,517 10-29-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: brotherj4mes
  Vanilla mainline Debian 11 (Bullseye) on the RockPro64 Pete Tandy 22 16,821 08-16-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: varac
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) ROCKPro64 RK3399 (aarch64) mara 54 82,193 08-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: mara
Question How do I compile an arbitrary kernel for U-Boot? Valenoern 3 1,015 06-16-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: CounterPillow
  How to enable CoreSight ETM trace on RockPro64 shpark 0 540 05-21-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: shpark
  Rockpro64 Dead on arrival? quixoticgeek 1 879 03-12-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: quixoticgeek
  A fix for Bluetooth audio stuttering on the RockPro64 raph 2 1,580 01-03-2023, 06:53 PM
Last Post: raph