How to disassemble a Pinephone Keyboard?
Hello, I have a Pinephone Keyboard that I am trying to open so I can replace the computer chip. Support said I would need to do this to fix it - the battery has stopped working and so has charging through the USB port.

Anyway. The means of its disassembly escape me. Using a tool I've been able to pry apart most of the bottom part of the plastic case, but the side by the hinge refuses to come apart. I can't reach the seam behind the hinge because, well, the hinge is in the way.

Can anyone who has taken a Pinephone Keyboard apart let me know how they did it? Thanks
(01-07-2023, 11:21 PM)apricot Wrote: Hello, I have a Pinephone Keyboard that I am trying to open so I can replace the computer chip. Support said I would need to do this to fix it - the battery has stopped working and so has charging through the USB port.

Anyway. The means of its disassembly escape me. Using a tool I've been able to pry apart most of the bottom part of the plastic case, but the side by the hinge refuses to come apart. I can't reach the seam behind the hinge because, well, the hinge is in the way.

Can anyone who has taken a Pinephone Keyboard apart let me know how they did it? Thanks

It is a very tight case (good for protection of the Pinephone, not as fun for disassembly).

There are several fasteners along the inside of sides (start from corner with 'opening', working way around both sides from here.

Once you get it started, try slipping in something like a card between the sides (but I moreso had to "pry" it apart bit by bit).

You aren't wrong about it being somewhat difficult.

You may find this video helpful to see the inside fasteners / it opened during main board replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seQo1qCenA8

Let me know if you have more questions on opening it, as I've done so a couple times.

Takes a bit more force than I like to apply, but work your way around slowly, to avoid cracking case.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Hi, thanks for the response. I did eventually get it open - by pushing the bottom part of the case towards the hinge I was able to loosen the seam behind it.

This thing has been in the back of my mind for months and I only just got around to buying a prying tool for it. A guitar pick was not doing the job...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,207 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,459 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 520 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,517 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,901 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,109 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 447 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 560 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM