Monitor mode packet injection and external wireless adapter
Wink 
I'm new to pine64 I recently purchased a pine phone pro and have mobian on internal flash storage and Kali Nethunter Pro on an SD card.  Everything seems to be working fine minus a few tools but I know there are likely a few wrinkles that need to be ironed out software wise. The one thing I'm kinda bummed about is I can't seem to get monitor mode and packet injection working on my internal wireless card I've read that they're working on the original pine phone but I can't seem to find any info on the subject for the pro model. Also I can't get any external wireless  adapters to work either it shows that they are being read in the kernel via dmesg and lsusb but they don't show up as devices when I use iwconfig so I'm kinda confused as to why they aren't working. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? My external wireless adapter is Ralink rt2870/rt3070. If anyone more experienced with these devices could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated thank you! Happy new year!
(01-02-2023, 12:35 PM)chedder_bob Wrote: I'm new to pine64 I recently purchased a pine phone pro and have mobian on internal flash storage and Kali Nethunter Pro on an SD card.  Everything seems to be working fine minus a few tools but I know there are likely a few wrinkles that need to be ironed out software wise. The one thing I'm kinda bummed about is I can't seem to get monitor mode and packet injection working on my internal wireless card I've read that they're working on the original pine phone but I can't seem to find any info on the subject for the pro model. Also I can't get any external wireless  adapters to work either it shows that they are being read in the kernel via dmesg and lsusb but they don't show up as devices when I use iwconfig so I'm kinda confused as to why they aren't working. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? My external wireless adapter is Ralink rt2870/rt3070. If anyone more experienced with these devices could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated thank you! Happy new year!

I think it's unlikely that the chip in the Pro supports monitor mode, at least I couldn't find any hints towards that anywhere. Can't say anything about the external adapter.
(01-02-2023, 12:35 PM)chedder_bob Wrote: I'm new to pine64 I recently purchased a pine phone pro and have mobian on internal flash storage and Kali Nethunter Pro on an SD card.  Everything seems to be working fine minus a few tools but I know there are likely a few wrinkles that need to be ironed out software wise. The one thing I'm kinda bummed about is I can't seem to get monitor mode and packet injection working on my internal wireless card I've read that they're working on the original pine phone but I can't seem to find any info on the subject for the pro model. Also I can't get any external wireless  adapters to work either it shows that they are being read in the kernel via dmesg and lsusb but they don't show up as devices when I use iwconfig so I'm kinda confused as to why they aren't working. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? My external wireless adapter is Ralink rt2870/rt3070. If anyone more experienced with these devices could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated thank you! Happy new year!

Welcome. ?

Make sure you have the right rt2800usb firmware installed for this. This is likely your issue (as long as you have a reliable usb connection to adapter).

After installing the needed firmware, try running modprobe on it (if network device still isn't appearing).

Can confirm I've use Alfa wireless cards on my Pinephone when I need monitor mode.

Fully capable of external wifi adapters. Just need the firmware.
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connect external devices via USB martin@h4ck1ng.me 5 589 02-15-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: u-kidjp
  PP Pro caught in Mask Rom Mode? nieral 2 1,125 03-06-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Pine Phone won't boot into recovery mode ninjapig26@gmail.com 3 1,674 02-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: fxc