'standard' Debian on Pinephone?
Hi,

I would like to install a  standard debian bullseye on my pinephone - no phone like options needed...

I have the Keyboard wich assembles together with the pinephone to a "small sized" laptop, or better palmtop computer so I'd like to use it that way :-)

Taking Mobian and strip everything down is not the route I would prefer to take.

Any hints if someone already did that?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

I haven't heard of anyone attempting that.  At the very least, I think a mainline kernel will not work (yet?).  I assume also that grub is a no-go, hence the use of u-boot and tow-boot.  u-boot is in the repository but I don't know if the installer will install it.

For what it's worth, even with mobian, most packages come from the debian repos.  The mobian repo has a higher priority so if a package needed patches to accomodate the mobile form-factor or whatever, then it would come from mobian until the patches could be merged upstream.  Mobian bullseye had many (a couple hundred?) packages patched thusly  Mobian bookworm is down to a couple dozen, I think.  The goal is to get everything upstreamed into mainline debian.  I can't think of any reason to avoid mobian.
(12-20-2022, 09:34 PM)treebeard Wrote: I haven't heard of anyone attempting that.  At the very least, I think a mainline kernel will not work (yet?).  I assume also that grub is a no-go, hence the use of u-boot and tow-boot.  u-boot is in the repository but I don't know if the installer will install it.

For what it's worth, even with mobian, most packages come from the debian repos.  The mobian repo has a higher priority so if a package needed patches to accomodate the mobile form-factor or whatever, then it would come from mobian until the patches could be merged upstream.  Mobian bullseye had many (a couple hundred?) packages patched thusly  Mobian bookworm is down to a couple dozen, I think.  The goal is to get everything upstreamed into mainline debian.  I can't think of any reason to avoid mobian.

Do you have an Idea which packets need to be uninstalled that you dont have the phone stuff omnipresent?  

If it boots straight into a shell, that would be  a good starting point.

Last time I tried to strip down mobian, there were way to many packages which were dependend on eachother, so it was  a p* in the ass to remove all that - thats the reason to not use mobian for that purpose  (-:

Cheers
(12-28-2022, 09:07 AM)4920441 Wrote: Do you have an Idea which packets need to be uninstalled that you dont have the phone stuff omnipresent?  

If it boots straight into a shell, that would be  a good starting point.

Last time I tried to strip down mobian, there were way to many packages which were dependend on eachother, so it was  a p* in the ass to remove all that - thats the reason to not use mobian for that purpose  (-:

Cheers

i'm going to give some kind inaccurate answer, but maybe i test this on one of my devices.

i think this a time i seriously suggest "aptitude", which is installation program and gives information about packages. of course, "ssh", "screen", ssh server and "tui". you should know what "manual" and "automatic" mark means in apt system.

install mobian either prebuilt image or installer. definitely keep "pinephone-support", which depends on 6.1 kernel. you could uninstall "mobian-phosh" and similar packages. you may need/want to uninstall "greetd". and choose windows manager of your choice. keep in mind that you need login screen, maybe sddm (greetd is some kind of login manager).

however, you may not need to uninstall phosh. just set another user interface (or choose). if you install like xfce4, just login with xfce4. still, different login manager might be required.

(12-28-2022, 09:07 AM)4920441 Wrote: If it boots straight into a shell, that would be  a good starting point.

without unistalling anything, you could use multi-user.target, which does not start graphical system.

Code:
# assuming root, use sudo if no root
# get defaut
systemctl get-default
# set multi-user
systemctl set-default multi-user.target
# set back to graphical
systemctl set-default graphical.target

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,352 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 281 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,158 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,952 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,716 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,971 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,765 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 817 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,840 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,119 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega