An early xmas present: 6.1 kernel
(12-16-2022, 10:07 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Current status: Fixed it. Hooking up the serial-to-USB diag cable while booting up yielded a bunch of module errors. I had forgotten that I'd run updates AFTER making my image backup, and the whole space problem was caused by a 5.15 kernel update coming in - so the modules on the backed-up root filesystem were now out of sync with the running kernel in /boot! D'oh!! Cry

Cool.  Sounds like it was a fun day.  I think it will be a benefit long-term since you will be switching kernels occasionally.

I have had one fail-to-wake with 6.1 but still don't see any new problems.
(12-17-2022, 04:41 PM)treebeard Wrote: Cool.  Sounds like it was a fun day.

Yes, lots of "fun"! Wink Have not seen any problems yet with the 6.1 kernel but also no compelling improvements either. Further updates may bring improvements.

Of course some of the problem was my own fault, forgetting that the 5.15 kernel had been updated after making my image backup, thus the module problem - obvious in hindsight. Anyhow, hopefully this will help others who need to expand /boot on their encrypted phone and don't want to install and configure everything again from scratch.
when i read first time, i initially thought that 6.1 was built separately, and it was needed to install separately if used. however, it's available from mobian repositories. although, sunxi kernel does not have meta package which links the latest package.

so far 6.1 seems to work.

package names:
linux-image-6.1-sunxi64
linux-headers-6.1-sunxi64
Actually having run 6.1 for a little while now I'm finding the phone has stability problems with it. I've had several spontaneous reboots which was never a problem with 5.15. (Thankfully the modem firmware wasn't corrupted.)

So for now I edited /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf to make the older kernel the default. (I'm glad now I made the /boot partition larger so it can hold both kernels!) Will give 6.1 a try again in the future after it's updated.
I know this is the PinePhone subforum, but the 6.1 kernel seems to be available on Mobian for the PineTab as well, though with a problem. With 6.1 it won't boot, with 5.15 it does boot, with the help of a diy'd debug cable to be able to actually see and use the U-Boot menu.

Is this release supposed to be compatible with the PineTab as well or just PinePhone?
I saw today that there was an update available for the 6.1 kernel so I installed and booted up on that. So far it appears to be more stable (no problems yet) but I'll keep an eye on it.
Although I have not had the phone crash with the 6.1 kernel since it was updated I noticed today that if a call comes in while the phone is suspended it keeps ringing even after you answer the call. (I was in a store and the phone started screaming "F*** MICROSOFT!" uncontrollably, to the amusement of both people in the vicinity and my caller. (That's my ringtone taken from a "Space Force" episode on Netflix.) Had to power the phone down to stop it.

This happens even after another installing another 6.1 update that was available today. The problem does not occur when running on the 5.15 kernel, so I've reverted back to that for now.

(Warning: the following video clip contains bad language, do not view if you are easily offended.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDLvUqhwHZc
(01-10-2023, 10:01 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Although I have not had the phone crash with the 6.1 kernel since it was updated I noticed today that if a call comes in while the phone is suspended it keeps ringing even after you answer the call. (I was in a store and the phone started screaming "F*** MICROSOFT!" uncontrollably, to the amusement of both people in the vicinity and my caller. (That's my ringtone taken from a "Space Force" episode on Netflix.) Had to power the phone down to stop it.

This happens even after another installing another 6.1 update that was available today. The problem does not occur when running on the 5.15 kernel, so I've reverted back to that for now.

i remember having something similiar with 5.15 kernel at some point, basically vibrator leaves on, but ringtone was not. powering down was needed.
(01-10-2023, 10:01 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: ...if a call comes in while the phone is suspended it keeps ringing even after you answer the call.

I had that happen last week with the "original" 6.1 kernel.  I won't be able to try the newer 6.1 kernel until next week.  I haven't seen any improvement in my random reboots and fail-to-wakes.
Yeah, from what I can see it seems the 6.1 kernel for the Pinephone is not quite there yet. Although there are still quirks with the 5.15 kernel they have been fewer and less frequent as development has continued. I'm sure 6.1 will improve, will try it again as updates become available.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to disable ipv6 at kernel level with towboot? vusra 2 881 07-09-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Stability problems with 6.1 kernel Zebulon Walton 9 2,541 05-12-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Kernel 5.15 Zebulon Walton 10 6,210 11-27-2021, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  Mobian kernel upgrade user641 4 3,805 11-10-2021, 01:22 PM
Last Post: user641
  kernel upgrade user641 2 2,518 09-13-2021, 08:26 AM
Last Post: user641
  [Solved] How to get a kernel newer than 5.10 on Mobian ? gab 0 1,371 08-26-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: gab
  Kernel fault on adapter connect pinephone.damiano 0 1,070 08-15-2021, 04:25 AM
Last Post: pinephone.damiano
  Is the A64’s true hardware random generator activated in Mobian’s 5.10 kernel build? LibrePhoneUser 3 3,992 01-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  Phone doesn't boot after latest kernel update Boern 12 13,416 08-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Boern
  How to compile the kernel? Boern 3 4,757 08-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Boern