USB Wall Plug and Power over Ethernet not working
So I got 2 of my boards going as media centers, however I'm having some issues with power

Currently, I have 1 plugged into the USB port of a PS4, and the other into a PS3. Doing so, they will boot up and operate fine. However, doing this means that more power is being used as the PS3 has to be on, and the PS4 has to be in standby mode for the USB ports to be powered.

At first I tried using a wall charger from my phone, and it would boot fine but as soon as I opened kodi the board would reset.

Then I tried the USB port on the TV, which didn't work (not sure how much power it gives since it's the service port. I was hoping to have it turn on with the TV)

Lastly, I tried the Power over Ethernet. I got the official adapter from the kickstarter campaign. Tested the network cable and it checks out. Plugged the network cable into the adapter, and the adapter into the ethernet and mini usb power ports on the board. The router (Asus RT-N66U), wouldn't even detect anything on that port, and the board's red LED wouldn't light up.

Is there something I'm maybe doing wrong? I want to get this sorted out before I install 2 of these in my cars.
I think you're answering your own question.

Operating it with a properly sized power source, you're good to go, otherwise, you have an issue.

As far as PoE, my guess is your router doesn't support PoE; have you confirmed? If its a standard home router, I doubt its capable.
I would have thought a wall charger would have been capable of providing enough power, considering a PS3/PS4 can provide enough through the USB port.

How much current is required to run it?
http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Main_Page#Power_Usage

Get a true adapter, many phone chargers will do some current limiting that will cause you issues.
I use a 5V 2A (10W) adapter. Don't forgot the power consumption rise with the load of the Pine64. If you can boot but the system crash or do unexpected malfunctions you know what can be happened.
Normal USB Host ports deliver 500mA (2.5W) and the most TV have write down in the manual or datasheet his max. power consumption over the USB Port.

The best and recommend solution is to use a solid wall plug with 2A or more. The Apple iPad charger are currently the best one you can get on the marked.
I recommend a good two wire (18-22 awg) switching power supply rated at 5v @ 2.5A  2500ma;  similar to the Raspberry PI international supply listed at this link.

marcushh777
The AC power supply that Pine provided as part of the kickstarter (and that's available on the Pine web store) has apparently burned out. I can power up off another charger (tested using the charger and cable for my kindle), but the Pine wall charger is toast. Anyone else have that issue? Is there an issue with keeping it plugged for long periods of time? I think I'm going to go with Mr. Harris' suggestion of the raspberry pi charger as a replacement.
Leonard "Newby McNewwwberson"
I am the stumble in the darkness. I am the loiterer in the stalls. I am the fire that burns accidentally in the backyard, the light that brings the mosquitoes, the horn that wakes the sleepers at the green light, the shield that guards the landfill.
(07-20-2016, 06:29 AM)lennychuck Wrote: The AC power supply that Pine provided as part of the kickstarter (and that's available on the Pine web store) has apparently burned out.  I can power up off another charger (tested using the charger and cable for my kindle), but the Pine wall charger is toast.  Anyone else have that issue?  Is there an issue with keeping it plugged for long periods of time?  I think I'm going to go with Mr. Harris' suggestion of the raspberry pi charger as a replacement.

Sorry to know that your Pine Power Supply toasted. Please PM me on the following info and I will ask shipping facility to replace you which a new one.

KS order number:
Name:
Address:
City:
State/Province:
Zip Code:
Phone (for shipping purpose):
(07-21-2016, 01:43 PM)tllim Wrote: Sorry to know that your Pine Power Supply toasted. Please PM me on the following info and I will ask shipping facility to replace you which a new one.

Thanks much! Will do.
Leonard "Newby McNewwwberson"
I am the stumble in the darkness. I am the loiterer in the stalls. I am the fire that burns accidentally in the backyard, the light that brings the mosquitoes, the horn that wakes the sleepers at the green light, the shield that guards the landfill.
(07-20-2016, 06:29 AM)lennychuck Wrote: The AC power supply that Pine provided as part of the kickstarter (and that's available on the Pine web store) has apparently burned out.  I can power up off another charger (tested using the charger and cable for my kindle), but the Pine wall charger is toast.  Anyone else have that issue?  Is there an issue with keeping it plugged for long periods of time?  I think I'm going to go with Mr. Harris' suggestion of the raspberry pi charger as a replacement.

I must say that my intent is certainly not to disparage any particular brand or company, or vendor.  My only intent was to let folks know what I've tested and experienced as 'good' over the long haul...  my SBCs are on 24x7x365. There are a lot of substandard wall warts out there, some of them rated above their capacity, and some not able to sustain continued full load usage. Buyer beware.

The power supply I recommended is a quality supply... there may be others too,  and your experience with the Pine supply may be a rare snafu...   YMMV...
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Power Supply Unit for Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (year 2016)? databaseprogrammer 1 3,009 07-03-2021, 01:29 AM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb Alternate Power DC-IN on the Euler Bus also with PI filter for batt operation MarkHaysHarris777 13 25,236 12-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Last Post: evilpete
  Once Again: Power Supply problems I guess (Pine A64+ locking up) marcelser 0 3,478 06-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: marcelser
  Power supply problems. larsen8989 5 9,179 05-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Last Post: tllim
  solar power on a Pine64 tablet Little_Johnny 11 15,412 03-20-2018, 12:01 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Power up HDDs c4tich 3 6,244 03-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Provide power in via Pi-2 header BenCranston 22 28,872 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  any danger from using 2 power sources at same time? dkryder 3 6,823 01-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Lightbulb A Tale of Two Power Supplies - why good is good and better is best MarkHaysHarris777 9 18,084 01-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Last Post: aegrotatio
  First cable for Euler Bus power done! AVL2016 24 32,550 10-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Ghost