Fedora 37 installation
I recently got a pinebook pro and have been playing around with distros to see what I like best. I found the existing instructions available for Fedora, but they didn't work for the 37 beta currently available. I had already installed Tow-Boot and that continued to work fine. Here's what I had to do:
  1. Boot from Fedora 37 live image. I used USB, but SD should also work.
  2. Run the 'Install to Disk' application
  3. Choose the install destination. I reclaimed all space on the emmc and installed there.
  4. There will be error boxes that pop up complaining about problems installing the boot loader. You can choose to continue with the installation.
  5. Once the installer has finished and before rebooting, you need to add a boot loader entry. I did this manually by creating a boot loader entry file here:
    Quote:/mnt/sysimage/boot/loader/entries/fedora37.conf

With these contents based on the kernel and initramfs images I had present in /mnt/sysimage/boot:
    Quote:title Fedora 37
    options $kernelopts
    linux /vmlinuz-5.19.7-300.fc37.aarch64
    initrd /initramfs-5.19.7-300.fc37.aarch64.img

After rebooting, the system starts up with the newly installed Fedora 37. I also noticed running dnf upgrade created new boot loader entries for the updated kernel packages automatically and it starts up just fine.

Things I have noticed are not working correctly yet:

1. Sound
  2. Does not wake up from sleep after either closing the lid or pressing the power button.
This is via the Arm64 Fedora workstation image?

Can you also share a how-to for the Tow-Boot installation please? Thanks!
(11-14-2022, 02:43 PM)poVoq Wrote: This is via the Arm64 Fedora workstation image?

Can you also share a how-to for the Tow-Boot installation please? Thanks!

Yes, it was the beta Fedora 37: aarch64 Live ISO I used for installation.

I was able to use `flashcp` to install tow-boot using the instructions here:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17529
I tried the same thing. The New Fedora is nice and snappy but also have the Audio issue. Not sure if we can take the audio config files from another disto and fix that. Someone smarter then me can maybe identify what files those may be.

They did release a new version from yours but it still has the same issue, I installed 1.7 (https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/)
(11-17-2022, 08:36 AM)Shad0w Wrote: I tried the same thing. The New Fedora is nice and snappy but also have the Audio issue. Not sure if we can take the audio config files from another disto and fix that. Someone smarter then me can maybe identify what files those may be.

They did release a new version from yours but it still has the same issue, I installed 1.7 (https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/)

Glad that worked for you. 

I spent a little more time on the suspend/resume problem, but not much progress. Even tried the latest fedora provided uboot image and no change. I ended up changing the systemd setting to use the s2idle mode vs a deep sleep with this setting in sleep.conf:
Code:
[Sleep]
SuspendState=freeze

It's not as efficient, but works.
>It's not as efficient, but works. ...... How long?
AFAIK, there is a kernel patch, dropped after 5.8,
in manjaro and anyone using that patched kernel
Also,,, no nvme, BSP or tow-boot uboot, not mainline & a few other configs
STM, s2mem is good for up to 14 days, tow-boot not quite as good (8d??)
(11-17-2022, 11:07 AM)wdt Wrote: >It's not as efficient, but works.  ...... How long?
AFAIK, there is a kernel patch, dropped after 5.8,

I haven't measured how long the battery will last in that state. By "works" I mean I can close the lid and reopen it without having to reset the system.

Fedora 37 is using a 6.0 kernel.
All the s2idle sleeps I have seen, maybe this is different, last about 20 hours
But, it is good that the magnet is in the right place, finally
Anyone able to get Audio working? Its the main thing keeping be back on Fedora 32 at the moment.
(12-15-2022, 08:40 PM)Shad0w Wrote: Anyone able to get Audio working? Its the main thing keeping be back on Fedora 32 at the moment.

Hi!
Sound is working fine (although with a bit of background whine). Open alsamixer and check the volume settings. I don't remember which particular option did it, but the following settings affect the volume: Headphone, Headphone Mixer, Speaker. Please check if you have them set to some non-zero value and/or toggled on.
Regards,
Dominik

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 370 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  Upgrade Fedora from 37 to 38? acruhl 2 816 07-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  HOW TO create a installation USB with ... (see below) Ice-O-Star 1 1,041 01-06-2023, 01:02 PM
Last Post: DrYak
  My installation guide starting from messed up eMMC Besouro 0 813 12-19-2022, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Besouro
  Fedora Workstation (36) on Pinebook Pro u974615 13 6,864 09-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Last Post: u974615
  No audio on Pinebook Pro with Fedora? foobar 1 1,333 08-22-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: snorwood
  Fedora 33 to 34 upgrade issues tydeman 2 2,388 12-02-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: linuxfreund
  setting up fedora from minimal install pine76 0 1,280 11-30-2021, 10:47 AM
Last Post: pine76
Question Can't boot any operating system other than Fedora after following the nullr0ute guide TDC_PBP 1 2,377 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: TangoZuluTango
  Some little things to help Fedora users ccunix 0 1,548 05-22-2021, 06:32 AM
Last Post: ccunix