Utter disappointment makes Pine64 Useless as Media player
Backer number #31,343

I Order a few extra items with my two Pine64 boards and waiting ages for delivery like everyone else...

When the order arrived, it was missing two Items that I ordered and contained extra items i did not order.
I have contacted support twice with no success. Not even a reply to say we are looking at this.

To be honest, this is rather pathetic. Why do I need to moan about something before anyone takes action.
First Mail was sent 14 June (A month ago), Second mail was sent 29th June (2 weeks ago) and I have still have no feedback what so ever!

Please refund me my money for the missing items and I will buy them else where.

So Far the Pine64 has been a huge disappointment for me. I order the Air Remote and HDMI to use the Pine as a Media player, only for them not to arrive so I cant use it as a Media Player. Then I find out that Kodi is not supporting the Pine64 either, but during the Kickstarter Campaign, this was one of the features... And sold as a Media player. (also not supporting HDMI CEC which is needed for a media player)

Im writing these boards off as a loss... they will become some low power linux playgrounds... Will be replacing them with Odroid boards rather which are same price and have full support from the developers and community and actually work as they describe they should.

Im hoping things change in the future, but for now these boards are going in the cupboard and I will be focusing my attention on the Odriod boards rather.

PS: I tried to upload the photo I sent to support of the missing items, but this forum not allwoing me to upload the image.
I get kodi to work just fine on mine. I am running the android os. Just a small issue with the vpn.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
(07-15-2016, 06:49 AM)skybadiver Wrote: I get kodi to work just fine on mine. I am running the android os. Just a small issue with the vpn.

How are you connecting?  WiFi or Ethernet??  I find Kodi toooo slow using WiFi, and can't get my Ethernet to work.
I am running it through wifi

I've been running Kodi through WiFi as well, using Android image, and it's working fine for me. I've had not issues with streaming, but have had issues when trying to play movies from my external HDD, being really jumpy and not smooth.

While frustrating that the extras you ordered didn't arrive, it doesn't prevent you using it as a media center.

Best bet for missing parts, send a PM to tllim. Give him your backer number and shipping details, tell him the problem. He's pretty good about solving these issues, and has helped me when I was missing stuff. He's handling issues for lots of people, so he might take a couple days to respond, but he has been more helpful than the support or shipping emails.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
Imgur makes for great image uploads.
Thanks all for the replies. Once again, very disappointing that not a Single Pine64 Staff Member replies...

Its true what I have read on many other Forums.. Pine64 Created the Board and expects the Community to do all the software development work, which is not going to help this product succeed like the Raspberry and similar other products available.

I have gotten Kodi working on the RemixOS. I find Remix is easier to navigate as Android relies too much on a touch interface, so not easy to work with a mouse to try and do a swipe... lol. But now I have to control Kodi with a mouse as CEC does not work. Raspberry was a MUCH better Media player, but was just too slow...

I will PM tllim to see what happens, cause dont even bother with the "Support" email
(07-18-2016, 04:25 AM)papsnoek Wrote: Thanks all for the replies. Once again, very disappointing that not a Single Pine64 Staff Member replies...

Its true what I have read on many other Forums.. Pine64 Created the Board and expects the Community to do all the software development work, which is not going to help this product succeed like the Raspberry and similar other products available.

I have gotten Kodi working on the RemixOS. I find Remix is easier to navigate as Android relies too much on a touch interface, so not easy to work with a mouse to try and do a swipe... lol. But now I have to control Kodi with a mouse as CEC does not work. Raspberry was a MUCH better Media player, but was just too slow...

I will PM tllim to see what happens, cause dont even bother with the "Support" email

What parts are you missing?  They have stated that  few items (namely the ABS case) are shipping separately and later than the boards.
Don't waste your time with Pine64, I have my board for monts now.. and there was like 2 or 3 releases of android, ethernet issues for months, nobody cares, they don't have a development team, most of the fixes and workarounds were discovered and done by the community.

For the guys that said it's working fine, you don't use features like sound passthrough, etc. Android is also not stable, apps crash a lot, etc.

But, lesson learned, never buy AllLoser again. I've bought a nVidia Shield TV on Prime Day for 99 GBP, couldn't be happier.
If you'd like to sell your pine board, put a message up so someone else can enjoy it for what it is for the time being - An early adoption tinkering-platform.
It's working great as a lightweight linux desktop for me, and I wouldn't mind another one for other projects.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question External storage problem for pine64 Dani6102 4 1,618 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Pine64 as wireless audio device S265 3 3,154 04-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: S265
  Pine64(+) and manjaro dsychan 0 1,108 04-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dsychan
Thumbs Down Pine64 was a Useless Project pushpendrak 18 28,312 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 LCD rstcologne 0 3,091 09-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: rstcologne
  Pine64+ power button PaddyChan 0 2,740 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PaddyChan
  Pine64 OS dpcons 2 4,896 03-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Last Post: dpcons
  Jailhouse supports Pine64+ vj-kumar 0 2,803 02-17-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: vj-kumar
  PINE64 board not powering up loki21century 2 5,514 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Partymack711
  Pine64 not powering up. skylab 5 7,160 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM