Usbnet via USB-C on PBP?
Hi!

I want to establish usb network between desktop and PBP.

On pinephone I can connect usb-c side of the usb a-c cable to the pinephone, usb-a side to a desktop and it works just fine, all necessary modules are loaded automatically (pmos 6.0.2 kernel), usb0 interface appears on both sides and i can establish networking.

But the same doesn't work with pinebook pro: when using the same cable and desktop to connect to nothing happens: no modules loaded, no usb0 interfaces appear, kernel is similar (pmos 6.0.2). Loading all necessary modules manually (usbnet, cdc-ether, etc…) doesn't help. lsusb doesn't change after plugging in the usb-c cable.

To rule out software problem I also tried Manjaro, still can't establish usb network and lsusb output is unchanged as well.

I found the following comment:
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...9#pid86259

Quote:the Pinebook Pro does not support USB C alternate mode, HDMI video.

I do not understard if alternate USB-C mode affects only video output or other functionality such as USB networking. But PBP has a docking station, so its usb-c should be capable for more than DP video output. I tried to use PinePhone's docking station: it seems to work, but I can use only usb-a ports due to some problem with my docking station (see more details in this thread).

Anyway to make usb-a - usb-c usbnet link work on PBP the same way as on PinePhone? (I know chipsets are different).

I need all these because I often have to use the laptop in the environment without WiFi, so usbnet is the only way to provide desktop an d internet access to the PBP without working eth port on the docking station.
I have the same request, did you get any answer, perhaps on another forum?
(09-24-2023, 10:57 AM)ericzolf Wrote: I have the same request, did you get any answer, perhaps on another forum?

I don't have a Pinebook Pro, so I wouldn't be sure about hardware specifics but the postmarketOS wiki is quite good in terms of USb networking and USB Internet, including the required kernel config and the commands to check and set it up:

* https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/USB_Network
* https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/USB_Internet
(09-24-2023, 02:34 PM)fxc Wrote:
(09-24-2023, 10:57 AM)ericzolf Wrote: I have the same request, did you get any answer, perhaps on another forum?

I don't have a Pinebook Pro, so I wouldn't be sure about hardware specifics but the postmarketOS wiki is quite good in terms of USb networking and USB Internet, including the required kernel config and the commands to check and set it up:

* https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/USB_Network
* https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/USB_Internet

Thanks for the hint, but as I tried again to give a better answer, the plugged-in USB-LAN adapter just started to work (after shutdown over the night), so it looks like that it can work and I don't know why it didn't work before. So it works with the stock Manjaro KDE but perhaps slightly unreliably.

For reference: the device is a Lenovo USB-C to LAN adapter (17ef:720c). Interface drivers r8152 and cdc_ether are loaded, and r8153 signals that rtl8153a-4 v2 02/07/20 was loaded successfully, and eth0 v1.12.2.
(09-24-2023, 11:59 PM)ericzolf Wrote: {...} I tried again to give a better answer, the plugged-in USB-LAN adapter just started to work (after shutdown over the night), so it looks like that it can work and I don't know why it didn't work before. So it works with the stock Manjaro KDE but perhaps slightly unreliably.

In my experience, the PineBook Pro has some trouble negociating what should go (USB3, Display port) of the various pins in alternate mode.
Usually, there's one side which goes much better.

Most modern USB-C to LAN are going to be USB3 and thus affected by this (including the dock. In one orientation, only the USB2 + charging works reliably, in the other orientation, USB3 (and LAN) works too).
(09-25-2023, 05:23 AM)DrYak Wrote: In my experience, the PineBook Pro has some trouble negociating what should go (USB3, Display port) of the various pins in alternate mode.
Usually, there's one side which goes much better.

Most modern USB-C to LAN are going to be USB3 and thus affected by this (including the dock. In one orientation, only the USB2 + charging works reliably, in the other orientation, USB3 (and LAN) works too).

Ah, genius! This is exactly the issue, I tried with a LAN adapter and with a hub, and the results are there: in one direction, the LAN isn't recognized, in the other it works flawlessly; and the hub is recognized as 2.1 hub in one direction, and 3.1 in the other (and the connected LAN works). I can't mark this conversation as resolved because I didn't start it, but it is resolved for me! Actually, this should be documented in the Troubleshooting Wiki.
You resolved a different issue: using usb-c -> eth (rj45) adapter. It works for me as well.

But my questions was abouth another problem: running usbnet: a logical eth network via plain usb cable between two hosts. This allows to run network between laptop and another host (e.g. desktop) using only usb cable. Still doesn't work for me with PBP.
There is such a thing as "crossover" cable for slave to slave ethernet connections
Routers have an auto-sensing feature in them so they can do that automatically
I don't know if such a thing exists for usb, but there are usb A -> ethernet dongles,,
(and I know that in pbp these can work, connected to ethernet, then router)
maybe one on each end and a crossover ethernet cable in the middle
(but 1st I would try just regular cable, crossover cables are a bit rare)