New guy... Need some help...
Hey,

So I purchased a pinebook pro to start messing around with linux more.

I have some basic understanding, but I've already been thrown something beyond my ability.

So I booted it up, and did the updates it was requesting. After this update on reboot, nothing. Green power light but no activity or screen.

After looking around, it seemed that I needed to reinstall the OS.

So after looking around more, it seems the path was to use the switch to disable the emmc, boot onto a live SD card, then re-enable the emmc and install the os to it.

I've gotten to that point, however my problem now is I can't select the emmc to install to. It just wants to do the default install using the SD card.

I tried to follow these instructions:

Quote:Once everything has booted cleanly turn the eMMC switch on the back in order to turn it on, effectively hot plugging it.
Then as super user (sudo) use these commands in a terminal, which are also referred in the Wiki:

Code:
Code:
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind

echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/bind

Then install whatever you want on the eMMC as usual.

However I need a password for the sudo privileges and I don't have that on the live OS.

Can anyone help an absolute newb out?
This same garbage happened to me after I attempted to update stock, just burn a new image on a SD card and pop it in and start it, and it should boot. But I tried downloading a latest image PBP edition from the Manjaro website and it successfully updated and I was able to use it for a month, then I tried updating a month later and this brick BS happened again. Manjaro has a crappy standard regarding this where they will tell you to backup everything before you update, and some Linux wizards on here will tell you something like I BEEN USING MANJARO FOR YEARS WITH NO PROBLEM! But their autism or pride prevents them from being reminded that you are not as experienced with managing a brick update normalized distro like Manjaro.

I never messed with the emmc, using SD Card seems to be working fine, probably better to find a working stable OS for PBP that works on SD Card before attempting the emmc juggling act.

I just tried Armbian but they seem to have a problem with their apt-update, but it is much more stable, you can even shut the lid on the PBP on it without bricking. Let me know what Distro you choose and how it goes, I am still looking, Armbian staff are not providing much support for their update error.

Also checkout my thread https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...pid=113854 discussion on my search for a more stable distro.
(10-22-2022, 06:41 AM)Coryoc Wrote: Hey,

So I purchased a pinebook pro to start messing around with linux more.

I have some basic understanding, but I've already been thrown something beyond my ability.

So I booted it up, and did the updates it was requesting. After this update on reboot, nothing. Green power light but no activity or screen.

After looking around, it seemed that I needed to reinstall the OS.

So after looking around more, it seems the path was to use the switch to disable the emmc, boot onto a live SD card, then re-enable the emmc and install the os to it.

I've gotten to that point, however my problem now is I can't select the emmc to install to. It just wants to do the default install using the SD card.

I tried to follow these instructions:

Quote:Once everything has booted cleanly turn the eMMC switch on the back in order to turn it on, effectively hot plugging it.
Then as super user (sudo) use these commands in a terminal, which are also referred in the Wiki:

Code:
Code:
echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/unbind

echo fe330000.sdhci >/sys/bus/platform/drivers/sdhci-arasan/bind

Then install whatever you want on the eMMC as usual.

However I need a password for the sudo privileges and I don't have that on the live OS.

Can anyone help an absolute newb out?

the user credentials for live Manjaro are: manjaro/manjaro

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/man...n/135304/5