No volume control after latest updates
(11-07-2022, 02:36 PM)treebeard Wrote: ...pulseaudio servie should be disabled.

Where should pulseaudio be disabled? There doesn't seem to be a systemd unit file for it.

Code:
[root@mobian mobian]$ systemctl status pulseaudio.service
Unit pulseaudio.service could not be found.

There is a file S01pulseaudio-enable-autospawn but all that file does is:

Code:
echo "autospawn=yes" > /run/pulseaudio-enable-autospawn

The only items in ~/.config/autostart are things I put there myself. Trying apt remove pulseaudio threatens to uninstall pipewire programs along with it. So how to stop pulseaudio from firing up?
(11-08-2022, 06:23 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:36 PM)treebeard Wrote: ...pulseaudio servie should be disabled.

Where should pulseaudio be disabled? There doesn't seem to be a systemd unit file for it.

It's a user service, so do as your regular user:
Code:
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user disable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket

and I disabled them too, but I don't know if that's strictly necessary.

Edit 1: The doc does say to disable, not just stop the services.
Made all the changes and now with pipewire audio the volume buttons work during calls - thanks @treebeard for your help!

Headset operation is still a bit flaky, but really no worse than before. Connecting a bluetooth headset no longer produces a loud buzz but audio is not routed to the headset either - or apparently anywhere. No audio at the phone either with the bluetooth headset connected. This condition persists until the phone is rebooted. (I did follow the bluetooth instructions in the Debian wiki.) The wired headset does not work at all unless it is plugged in after dialing out. If plugged in before making the call, audio stays with the phone and is not routed to the headset. This is basically the same behavior as before, though previously only the headset microphone was affected.

So initial impression is that overall it's an improvement but some previous bugs/annoyances remain.
(11-09-2022, 06:40 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Made all the changes and now with pipewire audio the volume buttons work during calls - thanks @treebeard for your help!

Headset operation is still a bit flaky...

Cool!  I haven't tackled "the headset challenge" yet so can't say anything about that.
(11-09-2022, 07:21 AM)treebeard Wrote: Cool!  I haven't tackled "the headset challenge" yet so can't say anything about that.

I'm sure that's going to be a real rat's nest! At least a wired headset works if you plug it in at the right time. (Linux audio has always been something of a mess.)
(11-09-2022, 02:24 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Linux audio has always been something of a mess.

Tell me about it!  Pipewire is the latest in a long line of "this time we've really solved it..."
More audio problems after updating over the weekend. Seemed to be OK initially, but after using the headset sound was pretty messed up even after rebooting. After disconnecting the headset, the phone would ring through the built-in earphone instead of the speaker. Audio not working on incoming calls, pick up a call and no sound. (OK on outgoing calls - I had to hang up on callers and call them back.) The phone apparently was acting in part as though the headset was still connected.

So it appears the pipewire setup still has some rough edges to work out. Fortunately I did a full image backup before doing the updates.

EDIT: Playing around with the phone a bit more and testing, it just seems to be shifting audio all over the place. For an incoming call, putting the speaker on and of diverts audio back to the phone's built-in earpiee. But then calling the phone again, ringing is routed to the earpiece instead of the speaker. Not sure if I'll restore an image backup from before this started happening or wait and see if subsequent updates fixes this stuff.
I decided to revisit this, figuring that pipewire has been updated over the last 7 months. Back then I did revert back to pulseaudio since pipwire was just unusable. Today I tried pipewire again. Still the same problem, pipewire is just not routing the audio properly as described previously.

So for now it's back to pulseaudio (and no volume control during calls) again. Has anyone here had a better experience with pipewire on Mobian?
same issue,any other solutions?
(09-07-2023, 09:40 AM)jessencan Wrote: same issue,any other solutions?

Anyway I fixed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gnome-control-center: segmentation fault on startup jojuma 4 942 09-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,908 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Haven't seen updates in a while Zebulon Walton 3 1,134 06-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,907 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,031 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  [Fixed] Phosh crashes frequently after latest updates arno_nuehm 20 8,336 10-14-2022, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Krafter
  Latest Reliable Mobian Build Confirmation Thread Katsujinken 5 2,515 09-27-2022, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,999 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Loving latest Mobian Update drh 11 4,777 08-22-2022, 12:19 PM
Last Post: biketool
  Pinephone incoming call / SMS notification no ringing / notification volume dcinoz 3 2,741 06-02-2022, 07:16 AM
Last Post: arkadione