[Stupid Question] Where is the phone camera software?!
Hello

I recently bought a Pinephone Pro, and I've tried, without success, to work out where the software is to activate and operate the camera on the phone.
I've tried installing what I hoped might work from the Discover thing, but these seem to be for laptops. I have some clue about Linux, but I'm not an expert.
I've read threads from 2020 about the phone camera, and I assume they are out-of-date, so I'm at a loss as to even how to set up the basic things on the device, like privacy tools, and hardware like the camera. Can anyone point me to some quickstart guides please? I appreciate this might seem like a silly question, but I have to ask.

Thanks
IIRC the standard app for the camera is "Megapixels."
what is standard app in linux world, they could be installed by default or not.

i don't own pp pro, i own pp regular and some drivers could be different. what i heard (or read), camera works poorly on pp pro.

on manjaro/phosh, app seems to be "megapixels-ppp". maybe, for plasma mobile it's "plasma-camera".
(10-03-2022, 08:28 AM)tophneal Wrote: IIRC the standard app for the camera is "Megapixels."

Well, that one doesn't leap out as a camera application, and it's painfully slow to load. More accurately, it doesn't seem to load into anything. I haven't done anything or installed anything as far as I can tell, I was expecting that feature to just work straight out of the box. I don't want to be too harsh, because I support the project, but I'm surprised that such a mainstream feature of phones is not more mainstream in presentation and performance.
(10-04-2022, 12:31 AM)newusername Wrote:
(10-03-2022, 08:28 AM)tophneal Wrote: IIRC the standard app for the camera is "Megapixels."

Well, that one doesn't leap out as a camera application, and it's painfully slow to load. More accurately, it doesn't seem to load into anything. I haven't done anything or installed anything as far as I can tell, I was expecting that feature to just work straight out of the box. I don't want to be too harsh, because I support the project, but I'm surprised that such a mainstream feature of phones is not more mainstream in presentation and performance.

The Pro didn't really have camera drivers at the release. Only recently was initial camera support merged by the devs and I'm not sure if support in Megapixels was itself merged at all. Would recommend to check if you have an up-to-date installation. Details are also mentioned here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...e_software

Mind that the software is written by the community (in their free and unpaid time), including the drivers. So if there is no power-user taking care of such features then it can take some time until someone implements the features. For the Pro there is currently only a batch sold to (kernel and other low-level areas) mobile developers, so the software is expected to be incomplete at this very early stage.
(10-04-2022, 01:11 PM)fxc Wrote:
(10-04-2022, 12:31 AM)newusername Wrote:

The Pro didn't really have camera drivers at the release. Only recently was initial camera support merged by the devs and I'm not sure if support in Megapixels was itself merged at all. Would recommend to check if you have an up-to-date installation. Details are also mentioned here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...e_software

Mind that the software is written by the community (in their free and unpaid time), including the drivers. So if there is no power-user taking care of such features then it can take some time until someone implements the features. For the Pro there is currently only a batch sold to (kernel and other low-level areas) mobile developers, so the software is expected to be incomplete at this very early stage.

Sure, I understand, and I bought it to support the project. I thought perhaps camera functionality might be one of the core parts to be sorted out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: Feature Phone UI in LVGL, Zig and WebAssembly lupyuen 64 13,533 09-09-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Accessing the camera from Python lagrang3 8 1,954 07-25-2023, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: Phone Calls and Text Messages lupyuen 2 1,326 05-03-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  ATTN MODS: Create 'Genode OS on PinePhone' Sub-Forum under PinePhone Software PineFone 3 2,137 02-11-2023, 06:23 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question New user/phone here - initial update issues sexywheat 2 1,625 06-29-2022, 04:27 PM
Last Post: sexywheat
  Software keyboard question orbital 1 1,100 06-27-2022, 03:18 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Which apps can I run on this phone? poppyhodler 2 2,138 06-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Last Post: jenniferjohn12
  Phone Operation which SW Realease (mute funtion)? scrwbigtek 0 785 05-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: scrwbigtek
  Jami on the Pine phone ? bcnaz 7 5,448 04-03-2022, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Fish
  First time pine phone user Matt73 3 2,374 03-10-2022, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Matt73