Concerns about Linux future
I like change, I don't have a problem with it. Libre Office is free software that isn't going to change. If they are able to make some money out of it then that is a good thing. There are loads of profitable free software projects and a variety of business models.
You are free to stop updating any time. I still actively use an Amiga; nothing gets updated and all the productivity software I bought 25 years ago works the same as it did then. I run NetBSD on my PBP, for many reasons, not the least of which is that it doesn't require daily updates like the Linux distrus I use elsewhere. Am I running an old version of MuseScore? Yes, it's the same version that's been in pkgsrc for at least a few years. Ironically it's newer than the version that is in the Debian repository.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(10-03-2022, 01:24 PM)zetabeta Wrote: i know that linux kernel development has some corporate backers. the most problematic could be google, google has fuchsia os, i still believe that fuchsia kernel will replace android kernel eventually, at that point there is no linux in android. in the end, google wants more control of devices, fuchsia licenses are more lax.

microsoft may not be that bad, because microsoft is more like cloud company and uses multiple platforms. windows os is not primary product for ms anymore.

i don't think libreoffice is only open source project to charge something from users. i don't remember which, but some project had free version and premium version for additional support and/or cloud services. however, apple takes 30% cut from those app purchases, so are buyers of libreoffice supporting apple or libreoffice project.

edit: typos: fuchsia

That's kinda' my point Zeta in that strange partners could arise in these changing times. Whether Linux community application developers charge or not is one thing but I find the strange liaisons occurring that 'might not be' advantageous to Linux users such as myself. We seek elements of security and that security may be up for grabs depending on liaison involved. All that I am pointing out is perhaps ensure one's stuff is always backed up and always be ready to be offline as this is a distinct possibility in the next several years. A phone could be the only form of comms maybe.

(10-03-2022, 03:42 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: You are free to stop updating any time.  I still actively use an Amiga; nothing gets updated and all the productivity software I bought 25 years ago works the same as it did then.  I run NetBSD on my PBP, for many reasons, not the least of which is that it doesn't require daily updates like the Linux distrus I use elsewhere.  Am I running an old version of MuseScore?  Yes, it's the same version that's been in pkgsrc for at least a few years.  Ironically it's newer than the version that is in the Debian repository.

lol ... I'm the same as I have very old 32 bit laptops with some very old Linux distro's. You're right they work fantastic and are totally usable for day to day use.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED: Arch Plasma, Arch Phosh , Manjaro Phosh, Manjaro Plasma
Fedora, Mobian, Postmarket Plasma, Postmarket Phosh, Kali, SXMO.
I think you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of software licensing. It’s not unheard of for major open source projects (Akka is the most recent one I’ve come across) where a project releases a new version on a more restrictive BSD or proprietary license. Plenty of things written for Linux might change to proprietary licenses, but as far as Linux itself goes, it would be far too hard of an undertaking to try and relicense Linux into a nonfree or business permissible proprietary license. Open source is why vulnerabilities in Linux take little to no time to close compared to those in Windows or MacOS or other proprietary, closed source operating systems, because all the code and vulnerability is laid bare under open source licenses.

Libreoffice is offering a cloud service to compete with OnlyOffice, another open source but business permissible licensed product. I don’t think LibreOffice intends on charging end users as much as it wants to find pathways to fund the project. Microsoft makes millions of dollars from enterprise Office licenses, shouldn’t LibreOffice at least have a way to absorb some profit if a business decides to use them instead? Suggested donations only go so far, and companies are far greedier and malevolent than people make them out to be.
(10-03-2022, 01:24 PM)zetabeta Wrote: i know that linux kernel development has some corporate backers. the most problematic could be google, google has fuchsia os, i still believe that fuchsia kernel will replace android kernel eventually, at that point there is no linux in android. in the end, google wants more control of devices, fuchsia licenses are more lax.

microsoft may not be that bad, because microsoft is more like cloud company and uses multiple platforms. windows os is not primary product for ms anymore.

i don't think libreoffice is only open source project to charge something from users. i don't remember which, but some project had free version and premium version for additional support and/or cloud services. however, apple takes 30% cut from those app purchases, so are buyers of libreoffice supporting apple or libreoffice project.

edit: typos: fuchsia

I am beginning to think that one of the worst of the corporate backers may well be Manjaro.  Many of us have found it almost impossible to replace the Manjaro Linux which came with our Pinebook Pros, and been shocked by the virtual silence and total lack of concern and hard advice from Pine64.com to our questions/complaints/rants/tears.  NO HELP AT ALL!  I think I've discovered why.  Go to this URL and look at it carefully.  Make your own decisions as to how free of influence the Pine64 crowd is -- I will not try to interfere with your evaluation or opinion.  Here's the URL:  https://manjaro.org/
 while(!(succeed=try()));
i don't think libreoffice is only open source project to charge something from users.  roblox toy codes mobdro

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xz package is severely affected with injected code in some linux distributions. zetabeta 0 169 03-29-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Has anyone successfully flashed an Ox64 (128Mb) from linux? slondr 3 1,851 02-12-2024, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Pavlos1
  google will take control of android in the future. zetabeta 6 1,134 12-07-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: mannzrespouse
  [Article] Ox64 BL808 RISC-V SBC: Booting Linux and (maybe) Apache NuttX RTOS lupyuen 2 817 11-04-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,507 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  [Article] Booting RISC-V Linux on Star64 JH7110 SBC lupyuen 3 1,466 07-05-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  [Article] Inspecting the RISC-V Linux Images for Star64 SBC lupyuen 3 1,315 06-29-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: balbes150
  Online Linux Terminals palak231 1 972 09-13-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Linux desktop on a Snapdragon 870 phone. Vasant 0 1,245 06-23-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Vasant
  Linux support for RK3588 adiboc 0 3,343 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Last Post: adiboc