You received an MMS, but it expired on: 1970-01-01 07:59
Hi Mobian forum,

I'm trying to get my Pinephone into a state in which it suitable as a daily driver. I've updated to the latest version of Mobian and most things work most of the time (I do need to boot while the phone is plugged into the USB port to get the phone part working). The main blocker at the moment is that I can't receive MMS. I will send one to the phone but no joy, then after I reboot I get the message: You received an MMS, but it expired on: 1970-01-01 07:59

Any ideas?
This is with Telstra (Australia) and the UBPorts edition of the Pinephone.

SC
(09-29-2022, 12:13 AM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote: Hi Mobian forum,

I'm trying to get my Pinephone into a state in which it suitable as a daily driver. I've updated to the latest version of Mobian and most things work most of the time (I do need to boot while the phone is plugged into the USB port to get the phone part working). The main blocker at the moment is that I can't receive MMS. I will send one to the phone but no joy, then after I reboot I get the message: You received an MMS, but it expired on: 1970-01-01 07:59

Any ideas?

SC

Hello

Have you configured mmsd? Does your mobile operator use a single APN for Internet and MMS?

If it uses separate APNs for the Internet and MMS, you'll have to select manually the APN for MMS to receive them (which is what I have done for months).
(09-29-2022, 04:53 AM)anonymous Wrote:

Any ideas?

SC

Hello

Have you configured mmsd? Does your mobile operator use a single APN for Internet and MMS?

If it uses separate APNs for the Internet and MMS, you'll have to select manually the APN for MMS to receive them (which is what I have done for months).

Hi

Yes it does appear to be a single APN for both (telstra.iph). I've configure the apn and other details in the settings and chat app (chatty?) - I couldn't find any config files for mmsd in /etc

SC
(09-29-2022, 11:34 PM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote:

Any ideas?

SC

Hello

Hi

Yes it does appear to be a single APN for both (telstra.iph). I've configure the apn and other details in the settings and chat app (chatty?) - I couldn't find any config files for mmsd in /etc

SC

It's explained here:
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=mms

You can edit those parameters in Chatty too, go to Preferences → Protocol Settings → SMS and MMS Settings → MMS Carrier Settings. However, editing /home/mobian/.mms/modemmanager/mms is more flexible.
(09-30-2022, 04:32 AM)anonymous Wrote: It's explained here:

You can edit those parameters in Chatty too, go to Preferences → Protocol Settings → SMS and MMS Settings → MMS Carrier Settings. However, editing /home/mobian/.mms/modemmanager/mms is more flexible.

Thanks for that. I had already set most of the available settings through Chatty, but I did add in a maximum attachment size. Now I'm not even getting the error message though, the MMS just doesn't arrive - but there may have been something else I did to cause that as I have been fiddling around trying different APNs and so forth.
(09-30-2022, 10:17 AM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote:

Thanks for that. I had already set most of the available settings through Chatty, but I did add in a maximum attachment size. Now I'm not even getting the error message though, the MMS just doesn't arrive - but there may have been something else I did to cause that as I have been fiddling around trying different APNs and so forth.

Hello,
I had a similare issue with postmarketos, after put the good settings in chatty and modemmanager/mms, the phone was able to send and recive MMS.
But when I send a picture whit a size > 1Mb the MMS it doesn't work.

I try to change the value of the maximum attachement size but it doesn't change any things.
May be you should try to send a picture with low size ( > 1Mb)

MMS size by Carrier
https://support.bandwidth.com/hc/en-us/a...adhered-to-
(09-30-2022, 01:47 PM)olyavi Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 10:17 AM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote:

Hello,
I had a similare issue with postmarketos, after put the good settings in chatty and modemmanager/mms, the phone was able to send and recive MMS.
But when I send a picture whit a size > 1Mb the MMS it doesn't work.

I try to change the value of the maximum attachement size but it doesn't change any things.
May be you should try to send a picture with low size ( > 1Mb)

MMS size by Carrier
https://support.bandwidth.com/hc/en-us/a...adhered-to-

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked the last test MMS and it was around 50kB, so probably nowhere near any size limit. BTW that list you linked to is only US carriers and I'm in Au.

SC

Any ideas?

SC

Hello

Hi

SC

OK I've just realised it is actually a different APN - telstra.mms - mystery solved I guess :/
(10-03-2022, 09:37 AM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote:

Any ideas?

SC

Hello

Hi

SC

OK I've just realised it is actually a different APN - telstra.mms - mystery solved I guess :/

Ok but you should be able to receive MMS.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  very slow processing of MMS received via Ting (T-Mobile) treebeard 6 2,525 12-01-2022, 09:18 AM
Last Post: traut