Outgoing audio in phone calls gone
Hi,

I recently purchased a PinePhone Pro. Initially, not much seemed to work properly, but this was greatly improved by changing to Arch Linux with Phosh.

That worked well until an update about a week ago, when I lost outgoing audio on phone calls. In subsequent updates, I've also lost incoming audio and then regained that in further updates, but never regained outgoing audio.

I've tried using the Sound Recording app, and that works, so the microphone must be working.

I'm fairly new to this. My experience with Linux has been with Raspberry Pi over a number of years. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I'm trying to use this as my daily phone, so phone calls are very important!

Thanks for any help you can give.
did you "play" with the settings in settings->sound?

it tend to get changed after updates and other actions for me

ezik
Yes, I've checked the Sound setting in Settings.

The level was already up full for the microphone in both the Default and Phone call configurations, and just to make sure, I turned it down and up again. No difference.

I have noticed though that there is a very slight audio at the other end. You can tell when I'm saying something if you listen carefully. If I re-install a clean archlinux-pinephone-pro-phosh-22020729 image with no updates, the audio works fine.

(09-23-2022, 09:54 AM)shulamy Wrote: did you "play" with the settings in  settings->sound?

it tend to get changed after updates and other actions for me

ezik

Sorry, I should have thanked you for your reply!  Smile
Got it working!

In Tweaks->Sound, I had the profile which is listed as being for feedback and notifications, set to 'Custom', to try to get the Alarm Clock to play a sound file. Changing it back to 'Librem 5' made the audio in the phone work! (The Alarm wouldn't play the file anyway.)

I can't see that this setting should make a difference to the phone audio, but it worked for me.
(09-29-2022, 04:41 PM)linuxfreedom Wrote: Got it working!
This is good to hear.

Does sound work when picking up calls from sleep mode?   I have heard confusing accounts of the pine phone pro's ability to handle sound on calls when waking from sleep mode.
(10-25-2022, 05:32 PM)apink Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 04:41 PM)linuxfreedom Wrote: Got it working!
This is good to hear.

Does sound work when picking up calls from sleep mode?   I have heard confusing accounts of the pine phone pro's ability to handle sound on calls when waking from sleep mode.

Since my 'solution', things vary between having no sound in either direction on phone calls, or no outgoing sound, or the phone not ringing on incoming calls when asleep. Generally, phone calls do not work well at all.

With all these messy things with phone calls, two things are consistent:
1. Audio works with other apps. eg. Lollypop or Sound Recorder
2. On a fresh install of the OS (Arch Phosh), phone calls work. After updates, phone audio doesn't work.

I've seen other posts (not sure how to link) about missing audio, where it's reported that
Code:
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio
systemctl --user start pulseaudio
gets their audio working. I haven't tried this yet, but when I do this:
Code:
systemctl --user status pulseaudio
it says that it's loaded, active, but disabled.
There's also something about 'Could not find org.bluez.BatteryProviderManag[something]'

Maybe someone will understand these things!

Thanks for your response!
(10-25-2022, 07:34 PM)linuxfreedom Wrote: 2. On a fresh install of the OS (Arch Phosh), phone calls work. After updates, phone audio doesn't work.
Thanks for getting back to me.

I am looking for a linux handheld that will take and receive calls and texts, along with running a simple linux terminal.  It sounds like the Pine Phone Pro will do this as long as I don't update the OS.  Am I correct on this?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips apink 42 11,429 12-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: apink
  Guide to Suitable Phone State Borealid 19 10,226 09-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: robocone
  Phone Attitude(Device orientation) lurkadillian 2 991 06-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: lurkadillian
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,454 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Pine Phone won't boot into recovery mode ninjapig26@gmail.com 3 1,674 02-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: fxc
  [Mobian] No return from locked phone arno_nuehm 1 975 02-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Making and receiving calls via command line Zotax 0 793 01-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Zotax
  Phone shuts down unexpectedly Hobgoblin 3 1,520 12-20-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Fish
Exclamation PPP Unable to get default sink - outgoing calls auto disconnets in seconds Piotr 1 1,059 12-12-2022, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Piotr
  Sound completely gone with Mobian in Phone Call configuration EwigeBlumenkraft 2 1,689 11-11-2022, 09:18 PM
Last Post: apink