Smart Mirror - Input Questions
Alright, so I'm interested in creating a smart mirror like project (this has been done on the rpi before).
However, I'm not sure how to handle input/controls. Here's a couple suggestions I had.

1. Touchscreen monitor/module 
Seemed like a good choice at first, but if put behind a 2 way mirror, I doubt it will work

2. Voice commands
Not sure how easy this would be to implement...

3. Gesture control
Probably even harder than voice commands.

4. Wireless mouse/keyboard 
Should work fine, but seems like a janky solution that would compromise the whole idea behind a smart mirror

5. Could possibly use a touchpad/keyboard solution such as 
https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyb...op?ie=UTF8

6. Maybe I could use my android phone as a remote?

Basically at this point I'm looking for any ideas on how to handle user input.
I was thinking of using android or remix since they already have a bunch of apps that can be downloaded.
I'm also planning to do a smart mirror project with one of my Pines. Why do you need an input. The idea of the smart mirror generally is to be on displaying the info always.
And you can always leave a USB dongle for a keyboard attached to the Pine for any changes that you may need to do...
(07-12-2016, 01:31 PM)ViperVi Wrote: I'm also planning to do a smart mirror project with one of my Pines. Why do you need an input. The idea of the smart mirror generally is to be on displaying the info always.
And you can always leave a USB dongle for a keyboard attached to the Pine for any changes that you may need to do...

I wanted to have an interactive smart mirror. Basically have the equivalent of a big android tablet with the mirror feature. 
That way I can have more functionality and I'm not limited to just one "home screen". Sure, I'd have a standard screen with weather, calendar events, time etc. But it'd be nice to 
load different apps (detailed weather, detailed calendar, maps, music, weather, spotify, youtube, internet browser, etc)
As promised, I did give it a bit of a thought. The real question is what will you base the build off of / what OS will you end up using. 

If you decide to go with linux then: 

2) think you could look into using Mycroft  -- it is in relatively early stages of development, but it is an open source alternative to Siri, Google now and Alexa. If you don't want/ need something this sophisticated, and only require 'volume up / volume down / turn music off' type of commands, then there is support support for that too should you prefer it. 

3) looks like you can get some really cool results using Microsoft Kinect. On the plus side, its pretty cheap - you cant get one for £15-25 second hand here in the UK and there are already quite a few linux-based projects using the Kinect. But unless you really know your way around this sort of stuff it seems like you'd have to adapt one of the existing projects to suit your needs. Its possible but it doesn't look simple. I believe Xalius suggested also suggested LeapMotion to you in the chat yesterday - which may very well be the better route to take. 

4/5/6)  I think that AIO remote or something similar could be the answer. I guess that it isn't as comfortable as physical controls tho but for typing things in quickly this could be absolutely fine. It depends if you get 2) and 3) (not to mention 1) going AND which front-end you decide on. 

Finally 1) For starters I am not sure if touching a mirror is a good idea. My wife gets angry at me when I leave smudges in the bathroom wiping the mist off of the mirror  after a hot shower ;Wink  so I am not sure if touch is something that is a good idea to begin with. You could just end up with a smudged mirror or a feature you worked hard to implement and never use. That said it would solve 4/5/6) for you as you wouldn't really need any traditional input - you could just walk up to the thing and scribble away. So I looked into ''add touch capabilities to non-touch surfaces'' and sure as heck it isn't simple or cheap. I am told that Ubi Interactive have the best product - but Im sure its both expensive and difficult to set up. 

Looking to hear more about your project ! ~ chat soon
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thanks Luke, that was really helpful.
I was thinking of using Android or Remix for the OS as I have very little experience with linux. I suppose I could learn, but that would probably take me a while. Also, if I choose to go the android route I can use pre-existing apps from the play store. I really like your suggestions, and was looking into the leap motion as well as AIO remote.

Leap Motion:
Unfortunately, it appears the leap motion only works on windows 7/8 or Mac. However, there have been people pulling it off on android using a special sdk. Do you think this would be possible to do on the pine?

AIO remote:
Don't know if it would be possible to treat the pine as a host if I'm running android. Might work on remix os? If not, I might need to switch over to linux.

Kinect:
I was also thinking of this as a solution, but I probably have no where near the experience to pull it off.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. They're good food for thought. I'll keep my ears open if I hear anything and I'll do some more research on my part.
(07-12-2016, 01:45 PM)riahim Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 01:31 PM)ViperVi Wrote: I'm also planning to do a smart mirror project with one of my Pines. Why do you need an input. The idea of the smart mirror generally is to be on displaying the info always.

I wanted to have an interactive smart mirror. Basically have the equivalent of a big android tablet with the mirror feature. 
That way I can have more functionality and I'm not limited to just one "home screen". Sure, I'd have a standard screen with weather, calendar events, time etc. But it'd be nice to 
load different apps (detailed weather, detailed calendar, maps, music, weather, spotify, youtube, internet browser, etc)

Makes sense. I wouldn't mind making mine interactive as well, unless it is voice or gesture only. As Luke said above, touch for the mirror is not really a good idea...
Keep everyone posted here when you make any progress and I will do the same once I start working on this idea in a bit more time and make any new strides.
(07-12-2016, 10:44 AM)riahim Wrote: Alright, so I'm interested in creating a smart mirror like project (this has been done on the rpi before).
However, I'm not sure how to handle input/controls. Here's a couple suggestions I had.

1. Touchscreen monitor/module 
Seemed like a good choice at first, but if put behind a 2 way mirror, I doubt it will work

2. Voice commands
Not sure how easy this would be to implement...

3. Gesture control
Probably even harder than voice commands.

4. Wireless mouse/keyboard 
Should work fine, but seems like a janky solution that would compromise the whole idea behind a smart mirror

5. Could possibly use a touchpad/keyboard solution such as 
https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyb...op?ie=UTF8

6. Maybe I could use my android phone as a remote?

Basically at this point I'm looking for any ideas on how to handle user input.
I was thinking of using android or remix since they already have a bunch of apps that can be downloaded.

You can integrate alexa for voice control: https://github.com/amzn/alexa-avs-raspberry-pi

this is also a project I'm wanting to do for the exact same effect only I'm probably no where near as capable . this is my first project.

this is also a project I'm wanting to do for the exact same effect only I'm probably no where near as capable . this is my first project.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine 64 as Smart Speaker via Bluetooth Partymack711 0 3,194 06-21-2020, 03:28 AM
Last Post: Partymack711
Question HDMI Input sank 4 6,590 12-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Containers questions... rallar8 8 10,700 08-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Last Post: rallar8
  Smart home on PINE A64 SystemDi 7 11,125 02-09-2016, 01:08 AM
Last Post: tllim