What will you be using your PINE64 for?
(01-23-2016, 02:57 PM)shockr Wrote: Now that the Kickstarter is successful and the boards are pretty much ready to ship, what do you guys plan on doing with your PINE64 boards?

I intend to use mine for an autonomous robot project and I will be posting about it on nanite.co for anyone who is interested in following my progress. Smile

This will be my first single-board computer (RaspberryPi is always sold out). The first task that I have in mind is Media Center. I'd really want to build a JARVIS system also.
Follow me on Twitter: @MarlonRibunal
Follow my blog: SQL, Code, Coffee, etc.  
(02-01-2016, 09:18 PM)PicoCluster Wrote:
(01-30-2016, 04:13 PM)Axeman098 Wrote: I also did the $89 Dollar Backer kit, and can't wait to get my hands on it, but I am also QUITE interested in the partnership with PicoCluster. How long do you estimate before you will be able to supply them with enough boards for a 3 or 5 node PineA64 Cluster kit?? I would definitely be after one of those as well.

While I am an experienced PC/IT tech, this is my first foray into SBC's.... I am looking to see exactly WHAT one could do with such a multi-node PineA64 Cluster? It will also be a learning experience for me to familiarize myself with the Android architecture. I also have a Dell S2340T Touchscreen and I'd like to see what I can come up with using that with either a single PineA64, or the previously mentioned Cluster. Would love to experiment with it as a Home Automation/Security unit as well. Lots of ideas, but I need to understand the entire platform better to truly realize what can be done with it. I would DEFINITELY be interested in ADDING more modules to my backer kit. Will there be a way for me to do that BEFORE it ships so I can get everything I'd like to have all at once??? Will backers have exclusive access to the available modules first???

We have 3 nodes that we're working with right now to build enclosures for. We'll post progress on the designs as we can. For most of the stuff we're looking at, we need a stable Linux distro. A lot of that will fall on Pine's shoulders. Once we get a stable linux, we can start publishing benchmarks for everyone.

(01-30-2016, 04:33 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(01-30-2016, 04:13 PM)Axeman098 Wrote: I also did the $89 Dollar Backer kit, and can't wait to get my hands on it, but I am also QUITE interested in the partnership with PicoCluster. How long do you estimate before you will be able to supply them with enough boards for a 3 or 5 node PineA64 Cluster kit?? I would definitely be after one of those as well.

While I am an experienced PC/IT tech, this is my first foray into SBC's.... I am looking to see exactly WHAT one could do with such a multi-node PineA64 Cluster? It will also be a learning experience for me to familiarize myself with the Android architecture. I also have a Dell S2340T Touchscreen and I'd like to see what I can come up with using that with either a single PineA64, or the previously mentioned Cluster. Would love to experiment with it as a Home Automation/Security unit as well. Lots of ideas, but I need to understand the entire platform better to truly realize what can be done with it. I would DEFINITELY be interested in ADDING more modules to my backer kit. Will there be a way for me to do that BEFORE it ships so I can get everything I'd like to have all at once??? Will backers have exclusive access to the available modules first???

Heh, seems like you have a lot of ideas!

When you get sent your Backerkit email in a week or two, you will get the option then, at that point, to add additional units, upgrades and modules/accessories. These will all ship at the same time, in the same package, as your kickstarter reward.

SkairkrohBule,

Like your M.U.L.E Smile

I was starting to wonder if your Avatar was from an old video game with its 8bit styling. I guess i have to try this game out now!

(02-02-2016, 02:58 PM)mribunal Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 02:57 PM)shockr Wrote: Now that the Kickstarter is successful and the boards are pretty much ready to ship, what do you guys plan on doing with your PINE64 boards?

I intend to use mine for an autonomous robot project and I will be posting about it on nanite.co for anyone who is interested in following my progress. Smile

This will be my first single-board computer (RaspberryPi is always sold out). The first task that I have in mind is Media Center. I'd really want to build a JARVIS system also.

They have always had them in stock when i have ordered them. Even the RPi 2 that I bought on the first day I heard that it was available. I guess I have been extremely lucky. Cool I haven't ordered any since my RPi 2 last February so around a year ago.

Have they slowed down in production of the Raspberry Pi?
(02-03-2016, 12:38 PM)Nilocsemliw Wrote: They have always had them in stock when i have ordered them. Even the RPi 2 that I bought on the first day I heard that it was available. I guess I have been extremely lucky. Cool I haven't ordered any since my RPi 2 last February so around a year ago.

Have they slowed down in production of the Raspberry Pi?

The zeroes are generally out of stock everywhere after hitting the market (I did manage to get one when Adafruit had just restocked, and it was sold out in about an hour).

Depending on where you look, the 2's might be in stock. Let's see, Adafruit has them in stock, Element14 claims to have nearly 16,000 ready to ship, but my local brick and mortar Microcenter is sold out of the base Pi 2 (but they have starter kits with the Pi 2 in it).

In terms of the older models, at Element 14, the model 1 B+'s are now special order only, and the model 1 A+ is sold out. However, Pololu.com does have both A+ and B+.
@Nilocsemliw

"I was starting to wonder if your Avatar was from an old video game with its 8bit styling. I guess i have to try this game out now!"

- Do it! Everybody should play M.U.L.E.! Such a good strategy game! 
Just don't play the awful remake for iOS... Commodore 64 all the way! (or NES, if that's easier)

"Have they slowed down in production of the Raspberry Pi?"

- It can be tricky to get hold of the Pi Zero boards, but the others including the Pi 2 should be obtainable. 

The Pi Zero is made (as far as I know) exclusively in the UK, as opposed to the other Pi boards which have manufacturing plants in both the UK and China. 

Seems supply of the Zero simply can't meet the demand.
Hey,  I am an Amateur radio operator and I am looking to run a SDR (Software defined radio) transceiver with the Pine 64.  This SDR I am working on needs a dedicated gigabit port (unlike Rpi which shares ethernet with USB) and good processing power.  It is currently using my desktop and isnt portable atall..

Would be great if whoeverz got a developement modules already, could benchmark its CPU and GPU for power in Gflops (using tools like LINPACK, PhoronixnBench, BenchFFT, etc)
I have absolutely NO idea what I will do with mine, lol. Went for the $89 kit, when I get it, i'll figure out something to do with it. Maybe use it for media streaming on the tv?
I'll be using it as a web PC so the wife can stream internet video, facebook, email, pandora etc. and I can play my mmo's on the PC that she currently uses to watch stuff on. Basically I get my upstairs PC back, and won't have to go downstairs to game on my other PC

Pine64 + blu ray player + desktop PC into a 3 port HDMI splitter then up to our TV. I have an external AC powered HDD enclosure that I'll probably plug into the Pine too. Add in a wireless mini keyboard/touchpad combo. Pretty sure Android 5.1 will be fine since we both  use samsung phones running Android and are familiar with that. Plus Firefox just released a version specific for Android/iOS.
Backer number: 24,762

Backerkit STATUS: Items Received
I'm probably gonna throw mine in a desk and have it collect dust like my OUYA. Eventually I'll sell it for a very cheap price and buy something else of equally useless value to me. I really should just save up for a Shield TV at this point since that's ultimately what I'd like but can't afford.
[Image: dpluoa73139.png]

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...
I'll be using it as a portable PC to function as an APRS iGate & Messaging terminal. I will also set it up as a D-Star/Fusion/DMR hotspot for my radios. I hope the DV4Mini works well with it!

Going to move the RPi2 into the new SmartPi Tablet case ala KS as well, so I can have a cheap tablet as needed. Now to decide to run Android or Raspbian.
(02-07-2016, 11:22 AM)dermo529 Wrote: I'm probably gonna throw mine in a desk and have it collect dust like my OUYA. Eventually I'll sell it for a very cheap price and buy something else of equally useless value to me. I really should just save up for a Shield TV at this point since that's ultimately what I'd like but can't afford.

I was lucky enough to unload my Ouya maybe two years after release and got lucky and broke even on it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question External storage problem for pine64 Dani6102 4 1,743 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Pine64 as wireless audio device S265 3 3,303 04-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: S265
  Pine64(+) and manjaro dsychan 0 1,165 04-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dsychan
Thumbs Down Pine64 was a Useless Project pushpendrak 18 28,862 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 LCD rstcologne 0 3,136 09-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: rstcologne
  Pine64+ power button PaddyChan 0 2,788 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PaddyChan
  Pine64 OS dpcons 2 4,972 03-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Last Post: dpcons
  Jailhouse supports Pine64+ vj-kumar 0 2,846 02-17-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: vj-kumar
  PINE64 board not powering up loki21century 2 5,611 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Partymack711
  Pine64 not powering up. skylab 5 7,283 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM