Now better battery life or power management?
Heart 
I noticed that the mainboard in the Pinebook Pro that I received in August 2022 is different than the other earlier Pinebooks Pro that I have.  But I didn't look for anything else different.  I haven't read any accurate reports of things changed.

But I have noticed that battery life is greatly improved.  Or charging or usage has improved, I don't know which.  Even with the display brightness turned all the way up, the battery remains full no matter what I'm doing.

This isn't a software improvement, I don't think.  I'm running NetBSD 9.3
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Interesting! What's the screen on time, compared to last time?
Quote:I noticed that the mainboard in the Pinebook Pro that I received in August 2022 is different than the other earlier Pinebooks Pro that I have.

There are no new/updated schematics available. Available schematics are one selling point of this device. Pity.

Quote:But I have noticed that battery life is greatly improved.  Or charging or usage has improved, I don't know which.

Up to here, it could be that your old battery is worn out. The battery drains all (?) the time even when on main power and so it may wear out quickly.

Quote:Even with the display brightness turned all the way up, the battery remains full no matter what I'm doing.

That is new, indeed.

To be 100% sure, you may want to swap the two batteries and see if the improvements with the old battery are still observable on the new Pinebook Pro.
I can't swap (different physical locations), but I can say with certainty that the old one isn't very worn down; because the battery life is very comparable to what it was when it was new.

As for screen on time, the new one is on all the time, and compiling (processors at or near full speed all or most of the time). This is something the other two Pinebooks Pro that I have could never do; not without the battery draining, with the charger plugged in. This one will actually charge (albeit very slowly) under these conditions. And I can say it's not the charger because I've been using the charger that came with my first PBP (second production run) with the new one.

I'm very interested to see if anyone else has observed this.

[ SRA accepts you ]
FWIW I have PBP from first batch and it does not drain battery (at least not below certain quite high level) even when left compiling for days as long as it's cooled with a cooling pad. I think battery IC has a temperature threshold when it stops charging battery so perhaps in newer PBP it's only improvement to cooling around IC or threshold temperature.
It could be cooling.

My second batch sounds like your first batch. This latest one is markedly better. The battery does not go below 100% when plugged in.

[ SRA accepts you ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockable-until-power-cycle persistent storage Melab 0 667 09-17-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Melab
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 788 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  When does Pinebook Pro power LED go on? Bram 0 577 03-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bram
  Doesn’t power on after flashing emmc badguru 3 1,138 02-25-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: badguru
  Pinebook Pro drains ny battery after shutting it off Tongman 4 2,022 12-01-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Battery Frost1776 1 995 10-07-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: LivingLinux
  Pinebook Pro freezes when running on battery petaramesh 5 2,419 09-22-2022, 12:43 AM
Last Post: petaramesh
  Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures Phillip Bell 7 4,358 02-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: wdt
  high battery drain on suspend/poweroff wiz 5 4,917 02-10-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: wdt
  NVMe SSD and battery life? dieselnutjob 3 3,863 04-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Last Post: slyecho